Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 21:16   #1

Boat: 44 footer
Looking over a boat... Need a surveyor. DC/Chesapeake bay.

Hi guys,

Looking at a boat up there, and in need of a surveyor (SAMS/NAMS for insurance reasons) good with fiberglass sailboats with the mindset of safe bluewater cruising.

I think I might have found the boat to go cruising. (Bad sign, mixing dreams with purchasing decisions!) Its an old pearson triton.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a really anal retentive type surveyor that will find the problems that'd get me lost at sea? Heck, even suggestions that I should be looking for?

Thanks much,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 22:11   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
I got a super guy here in Florida, but you may not want to pay his airfare plus the fee.?

Should be plenty of qualified guys in your Yellow Pages anyway.

The survey of an old boat is not rocket science after all: If something looks sh!tty it probably is: Rigging, paint, wireing, equipment, etc.
Wear and corrosion is your first heads up..
Look for leaks in the cabin and inside cabinets with resultant damage to woods and metals, etc.
(Leaks from rainwater is much more common than leaks from the ocean)

If the boat is "As Is" and half price of similar boats, all of the above is to be expected. If the boat is close to "list price" however, you should expect a sound and well maintained vessel. If it is loaded with new gear in addition to being well maintained, then the asking price is justified being a bit higher than the average boat.

If a boat is neglected you may not need a surveyor in the first place: Just move on to a better maintained boat, then call the surveyor, the overall deal will be much better in the long run.

If a boat is sound but needs cosmetic maintenance and upgrades, you may have a good deal as well. (Some owners don't care about looks, but keep the important stuff in perfect shape. Other owners ignore oil changes, zinks and chainplates as long as the hull and deck is painted and polished...Go figure... )
Old 05-07-2007, 22:27   #3

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
I just used

Jack Hornor, Naval Architect
NAMS-Certified Marine Surveyor
Marine Survey & Design Co.
1291-B Lavall Drive
Davidsonville, MD 21035
Ph 410-451-8133
Fax 410-451-8135
www.msdco.com

who spent five solid hours going over my 1991 Fraser 30.

Good guy to work with, sent me an easy to understand report within 72 hours of the survey and I would recomend you speak with him.

When I asked, Jack reccomended a mechanical surveyor, Chris Oliver, to take a closer than normal loook at the Yanmar engine and I would reccomend Chris as well.

Good luck!

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 22:31   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Gotta watch out for Jack Hornor... he tends to sit in the corner

(eating his curds & whey)
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Do the math...

The trouble with a survey is that it will only report a percentage of problems and it will not total up the final bill.

The survey will probably not give you any idea on the number of hours necessary to make the boat servicable.

I would suggest that when you go through the boat with the surveyor that you estimate what percentage of problems he is finding. (If you wanted to be more systematic about this draw up your list of problems first and then compare. The ones that are missed could be expressed as a percentage and then this could be factored into the final bill.)

Then get the report and get quotes or estimate the cost of repairs or rebuilding of all problem areas.

Do the same when you have the mechanic check the engine. It is more difficult here as engines have a finite life and critical spares may be unavailable for an older engine. Factor these costs into your engine value.

Engines are deceptive as marine engines in pleasure craft may be old but have had little use. Try to estimate the number of hours the engine has on it. Problems such as hard to start from cold and blowing smoke may point towards an early repower.

It can also be helpful to cost the total rebuild of the engine and the cost of repowering with a new engine. My experience is that it pays to be decisive and ruthless in this area.

When you have your total cost deduct the value of any parts and materials and divide the result by the houly skilled labour rate in your area. This will give an estimate of number of hours of skilled work needed.

If you are doing much of the work yourself it may be a good idea to multiply the total hours of skilled work by an adjustment factor to cover injury, travel, learning and other problems. (If there are multiple jobs involved note that only one job can normally be done at one time.)
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:05   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zach,
Pearson Triton is a good choice. Many have made the trip from West Coast to Hilo with no problems but I remember one Triton pulling into Hilo from San Francisco having a rudder problem. Check the rudder well. Good luck!!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 20:01   #7

Thanks guys!

One thing I'm having some issues with, is that the boat is lacking its number tag that pearson put on the tritons.

I need to have it US CG documented it if its going to other countries, so I'm not sure how that will work...

Any experts know of another # location?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might try contacting the Triton Association:

National Triton Association Website: National Triton Association

Triton Discussion Group: Yahoo! Groups

Pearson Serial Number Decoding:
Pearson Serial Number Decoding

Triton Yachts: Triton Yachts Brochure

Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) are required on all boats manufactured since 1972.

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN (Hull Identification Number).
The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.
Boats manufactured or imported on or after August 1, 1984, also have a duplicate secondary HIN affixed somewhere on an unexposed location inside the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware. The purpose is to help authorities identify your boat if a thief or vandals remove or damage the primary HIN on the transom.

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database:
Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:22   #9

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Jack and Chris...

...are well known and very respected around the Chesapeake. You will not go wrong using them. Also, there is a great little book I used when I bought my boat a few years back called "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey - great to use even before you invest money in a surveyor.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 20:48   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Zach,

"I need to have it US CG documented it if its going to other countries, so I'm not sure how that will work... "

Are you certain you need to have a documented vessel to visit other countries?

Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 21:49   #11

Weyalan, it was Little Miss Muffet who had the curds and whey…

Little Jack Horner
Sat in a corner,
Eating his Christmas pie.
He put in his thumb,
And he pulled out a plum,
And said, "What a good boy am I!"

Zach, are you still in school?
Jeff
Old 08-07-2007, 13:56   #12

Not certain about the documented vessels thing... just read that it helps someone from croatia to see "US Documented" vs a North Carolina wildlife registry card.

Yup, I'm still in school. Boat will have to be done on the cheap for another year and a half... resembling more of the Navys mothball fleet than a day sailer! (250 miles from the ocean.) Hopefully it won't demand to much attention ($$) until after graduation.

Thanks again guys for the help!

Zach
Old 08-07-2007, 14:08   #13

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Surveyor in Chesapeake Bay/DC Area

I used this surveyor in December to survey a 1981 40' Endeavour. He saved me $10,000 by pointing out numerous problems with the boat that were something I did not see. I bought the boat based on his recommendation for price and have not been dissapointed.

PREVITI * MARINE SURVEYOR AND CONSULTANT, INC.
P.O. BOX #1210
SOLOMONS, MD 20688
(410) 326-0866
Email; marine-surveyors@spectrumsciences.com
Old 08-07-2007, 14:14   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Possibly the top surveyor in the Chesapeake. Not cheap but very thorough and has been around I think since the steamship days. Seriously though he does pleasure vessels up to commercial shipping. Name is Fred Hecklinger at 410-268-3018. You won't be sorry.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 14:28   #15

Boat: C&C 27
Zach,
You may want to ask the surveyor if he wll do an in the water survey for a partial fee and then depending on the results finish the survey for the balance. I've used this method in the past with good results. Also there is a Triton on my dock. Sound little boat but little is the operative word. It is small even by small boat standards. Oddly enough a couple live aboard it! Where are you located?
pv
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay