Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 08:25   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Leaving Air Conditioner running on when not at boat

I have always had a hang-up about leaving my air-conditioner on when leaving the boat in the summer. There is so much water flow that a small leak in a fitting or a thru hull could be disastrous.

I have noticed this year that most boats leave their AC on all the time and there is always water flowing in and out. I haven't heard of any boats sinking because of that, so I wonder if my concern is overblown. I do run a humidifier and it drains into the sink. I'm sure it gets hot in there, but I don't know of any issues caused by that.

I'm just curious what others do.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 08:43   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Leaving Air Conditioner running on when not at boat

A good example of what is wrong in the world.

"the release of one gram of R134a would have the same global warming effect as releasing 1,410 grams of carbon dioxide"

Air conditioners have declimatized people so that they actually are dependent on them the same as illegal substances. If the power grid fails, these days people actually die as a result.

Air conditioning is bad for health and environment. There is no way to actually power all of them in a sustainable way, making use of A/C an entitlement issue. The worst part is you admit using it when you aren't even around making it a complete waste.

Very old boats last a long time without a/c. If you think it is somehow good for the boat, then there is something wrong with your boat.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 08:49   #3

Boat: Ben 323 32+ft (10m)

To get to OP’s point, I agree that leaving AC on in unattended boat presents unnecessary risks. I also leave mine off. Have dehumidifier in the sink, but just drains to limited capacity internal pail. Pail fills in about a week. I’d rather have a hot humid boat than risk water ingress.
Fullbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 08:55   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I typically leave mine on, but turned up to a higher temperature. That way it's not running flat out burning tons of power, but it keeps the humidity down in the boat and keeps it from getting excessively hot on really hot, sunny days if I'm not on board. If the weather is decent, I often turn it off upon arrival.

As far as flooding, mine have 3/4 inch intakes and outlets. Even if one fails, the bilge pumps will easily keep up until someone notices the problem. But I also don't typically leave the boat unattended for more than a few days at a time during the season.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 09:04   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Leaving a marine AC unit on while away from the boat is akin to leaving the dockside water connected to your pressure water system on while away from the boat, one small failure that could lead to disaster.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 09:20   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post

"the release of one gram of R134a would have the same global warming effect as releasing 1,410 grams of carbon dioxide"

Air conditioners have declimatized people so that they actually are dependent on them the same as illegal substances. If the power grid fails, these days people actually die as a result.

Air conditioning is bad for health and environment. There is no way to actually power all of them in a sustainable way, making use of A/C an entitlement issue. The worst part is you admit using it when you aren't even around making it a complete waste.

Very old boats last a long time without a/c. If you think it is somehow good for the boat, then there is something wrong with your boat.
Did you read the question?
cymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 09:28   #7

I have to agree with smj.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 09:31   #8

Quote:
The worst part is you admit using it when you aren't even around making it a complete waste.
You obviously didn't read my post. I don't leave mine running. Save the anger for someone else.
Old 19-06-2021, 09:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Leaving a marine AC unit on while away from the boat is akin to leaving the dockside water connected to your pressure water system on while away from the boat, one small failure that could lead to disaster.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 19-06-2021, 09:35   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Wow, such paranoia about water leakage. Doesn't anyone inspect and maintain their seacocks and hoses.

Back to the main question:

I lived aboard in Washington DC and Annapolis MD for three years while I was working, my last job, now 20 years ago. If you know DC summers you know how hot it gets. I ran AC and reverse cycle heat 24/7 summer and winter. With typical 90 degree plus summer days I doubt I could stood living in that environment for long.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 10:07   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

We use a dehumidifier. Our out of town neighbor used to run the a/c unattended. They did have someone who checked on the boat weekly. It's a good thing because their bilge pump quit and they got minor sole damage.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 10:20   #12

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

Leaving a marine AC can be done in a marina if you have a strong bilge pump, and a run time alarm on it. Not really recommended though. The safer way to do it is a window shaker pointed through the front hatch. It will drip outside, and you can get really small ones that will get the job done with minimal power use. A good amount of solar/wind should be able to keep up with it easily.

In a perfect world of course you could just sail North until you don't need it any more.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 10:22   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

My boat is berthed in hot & humid Houston.
When away from the boat I use an el cheapo domestic window AC, fitted into a frame that replaces my bottom washboard.
I run it on the "dehumidify" setting, and it works great to keep the mustiness & mold away
Old 19-06-2021, 10:45   #14

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:

Guess you don’t live in Florida.
Ever try to get mold out of your boat after no A/C?
Yes we live in a world where we are addicted to many things.
I for one run my A/C 24/7 at my dock. Pristine interior no mold or foul smells.
Would you not run the A/C in your house? When your gone?
Turn up the temp still removes humidity.
Safe travels and stay well!
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 10:53   #15

Boat: Hunter 340 '99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
You obviously didn't read my post. I don't leave mine running. Save the anger for someone else.
Sanctimonious thread hijackers salivating for opportunities to signal their virtue by lecturing others are the reason I almost never post here anymore.
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat