Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 14:02   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: l dont like my miserable sugar scoop stern!

I've always like the slap on the hull. It is like white sound. I just can't understand the complaint?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 15:54   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

LOL...my wife (now ex) insisted on a walk thru transom and a sugar scoop stern...cause she was pregnant and didn't want to be climbing about with a baby in her oven. We also had an old dog who also could not climb. And we sail on a docile lake. So around here the sugar scoop stern is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swim.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	142938   Click image for larger version

Name:	double reef.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	142939  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 18:00   #33

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thunderbird,

The Land Cruiser method will work; so will one large fender tied athwartship at the water line.

We like our sugar scoop for boarding from the dinghy, for easy entrance from the swim ladder, and for landing fish, keeps the blood and gurry out of the cockpit.

Clearly, ymmv.

Ann
Old 11-03-2017, 18:16   #34

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Good idea Land Cruiser
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 18:32   #35

Boat: Able 50

My sugar scoop is just the best not for swimming but for getting in and out of the dinghy.

To get in or out I am able to step sideways rather than up or down. So easy. When I arrive back I can tie up by reaching sideways and actually step down a little when boarding the boat. The shelf is just perfect for unloading all the stuff that the dinghy carries like groceries, propane bottles, laundry or jerry cans.

It sure beats a boarding ladder.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 19:50   #36

[QUOTE=TheThunderbird;2344296]How trendy and eye-catching were they for a couple of decades.? ..though so impractical unless fitted with (bad looking) ladders or platforms.

But, the real issue is another.
On moorings, a sugar-scooped stern is permanently awash by any surge of waves, smashing onto a large flat surface just sitting on the waterline, and creating intolerable noise and discomfort, exactly in The master cabin.

I feel like having a washing machine thumping on my ears right now.

I'll swap you for my 1979 31 ft C&C Corvette sleek and fast lines and old style transom that never makes a sound. Looking for noisy washing machine type that helps me sleep.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 21:56   #37

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Maybe noise deadening material on the inside of the stern/transom?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 23:06   #38

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If a noise bothers me on the boat, plugging my ears is definitely not high on my list of possible solutions.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 23:20   #39

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

The problem is you're in a marina. You can turn the boat around, or go out and drop the anchor.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
If a noise bothers me on the boat, plugging my ears is definitely not high on my list of possible solutions.
Try a taverna that blazes doof music until the small hours. Very popular quayside in Greece
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:58   #41

Boat: GibSea 472

Some boats were notoriously known for their slapping transom. In particular a serie of racing Bénéteau(34.7, 36.7) had a long, low and flatish sterns that made the life horrible at mooring in anything but dead calm waters.
My boat has a very wide scooped platform witch provide confort and ease of life without any slapping. So beware of very low and long sterns that try to increase LWL while sailing healed.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:42   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have never experienced a sugar scoop stern. Neither boat has one and we don't intend to sell so it's unlikely we ever will have one.

However there are times I lust after that fine stern. So low and accessible. Inviting.

But, the other day in an anchorage that was causing us to pitch I was noticing how the designer of our boat (Alan Pape) had located the center of pitch and located various things right there.
The gates. So stepping into the sink is no drama
Front of the cockpit bulkhead so when reclining or sitting underway you experience minimum motion
Galley, especially the cooker
Aft head, just behind
Nav table, just forward

In that pitch. trying to put the dink motor on over the transom was a bitch. It made me wonder how sugar scoops handle this. In a calm still anchorage it's a no brainer. When it's pitching? Sounds dicey.

And it so complicates the Aries attachment.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:14   #43

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

IN cold water sailing, hypothermia makes it very very difficult to get back into the boat if you fall in.

I should thing that the "sugar scoop" would make it easy to get back into the boat and prevent more deaths from those who fall out in water of 45-50 degrees.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 19:19   #44

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
In that pitch. trying to put the dink motor on over the transom was a bitch. It made me wonder how sugar scoops handle this. In a calm still anchorage it's a no brainer. When it's pitching? Sounds dicey.
Dunno about anyone else, but we simply put the dinghy so the transom is just aft of the shrouds. We then lift the (15 hp) outboard with the main halyard, walk it forward from its mount on the pushpit,and lower it to the dink's transom. Pitching of the yacht does not cause any difficulty in this operation; in heavy chop, the lively motion of the dinghy makes it harder to get everything lined up. Very occasionally we have to abort the op... Rolling, on the other hand, makes life difficult!

And you can add me to the list of folks who love our sugarscoop sterns. Their everyday usefulness far outweighs the random wave slap... which are quite rare when at anchor and facing into the waves.

Jim
Old 12-03-2017, 19:45   #45

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We have never experienced a sugar scoop stern. Neither boat has one and we don't intend to sell so it's unlikely we ever will have one.

However there are times I lust after that fine stern. So low and accessible. Inviting.

But, the other day in an anchorage that was causing us to pitch I was noticing how the designer of our boat (Alan Pape) had located the center of pitch and located various things right there.
The gates. So stepping into the sink is no drama
Front of the cockpit bulkhead so when reclining or sitting underway you experience minimum motion
Galley, especially the cooker
Aft head, just behind
Nav table, just forward

And it so complicates the Aries attachment.
To keep the dinghy steady you have to haul it in tight from both ends against the aft edge of the scoop. In other words, the dinghy is facing across the boat. It will barely move while the motor is mounted. Don't forget a safety line from the motor up to the pushpit.

If mounting from the side of the boat is the way to go then us the boom as a crane. Clip a snatch block to the outer end of the boom, haul up the motor and push it out over the dinghy. Again, both ends of the dinghy must be tied in tight.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote