Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2020, 10:56   #16

Re: Island Packet 35, are chainplates a real issue?

Hylas 46 has the same issue. Why manufacturers don't have these designed to be replaceable is beyond me. Our Caliber 40 had a good design for this.
briblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 12:30   #17

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcgarry View Post
I am looking to purchase a 1990s 35' Island Packet. One of the several I have looked at has had the chainplates replaced. The others have not. The broker claims the chainplates is not as big of an issue as everyone states. He said you only need to worry about the chainplates if the boat has been in the ocean for an extended period of time.

How big of issue are the chainplates on an 1990 vintage IP? Is there someway to know if the chainplates are failing? Can a survey uncover this issue?

I also heard the aluminum holding tank is a problem as well. Advice on this predicament is appreciated, too.

I appreciate your candid opinion(s).

My apologies for posting this if other similar posts exist. I searched but could not find an IP section or one discussing chainplates.

Thank you.
I own an IP 35 that I purchased from a gentleman that told me he religiously rebedded the Chainplates every year . When I decided to have them replaced I called Mack Yacht Services in Stuart, FL . At the time it seemed like a lot of money , but after removing and inspecting what was left of them ( the rear port lower had already broke , several others were cracked) but once the job was finished I’m very glad that’s behind us . You can not tell from the inside anything has been done ! Collin Mack has a very capable crew !
Sparkplug1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 15:06   #18

Boat: Westsail, 32, CAN DO

Check out the IP Homeport web site.
Link: IP Home Port | The Original Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners And Enthusiasts

There is a search available and there is a thread named chainplates.
If you decide you need to replace, there is a craftsman in Kemah, TX, Alfredo Duran, who has done many of the IP chainplate replacements.
Link: chainplate
He is good!

I believe he has travelled to Miami, FL to do a couple of them.
Good luck!
Phillip - CAN DO W32
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet