If the boat has a working solar
fan and system to drain water that enters you might be surprised at how little needs to be done. Mine sat for 5 years and the PO passed in the meantime. He didn't live close by either.
The engine was shot in mine so after it failed I replaced it with an outboard
, but otherwise I painted the bottom, soaked/washed all running rigging
, cam cleats
, and cleaned all the crap out of the boat , etc. then went sailing locally. A few months later I sailed it the 75 miles south the last 20 miles across the low Chesapeake Bay
in 22 knot
NE winds which made the crossing faster but a bit bumpy.
The winches started to creak a year or two later so I greased them. I removed the hand pump for the head
(a glorified porta potty) 3 years after my first sail it wasn't used anyway. The pump and it's associated hoses were causing the head to stink up the boat.
I broke the bilge pump
4 years after first sail and replaced it this passed winter.
I probably need to rebuild the roller furling
but haven't as yet and first sailed it in 2011. It does get jammed at times. Before I was used to the motion of the boat, I'd be sailing on autopilot
and have to go forward to unjam the furler
sometimes blowing chunks as I worked on it sailing the last few miles across the lower bay. Good times!
It appeared the boat had been thoroughly gone over though by the PO before he went on a two year cruise
. He left the boat near here on his return trip. This could be the reason I have had so few problems. That and the fact the boat has very few systems on it.
Autopilot worked but it's remote
was ruined by water. Rusty cans etc were removed. Everything was removed and what did get wet was allowed to dry out.
I have sand off or let wear off all peeling varnish
. The boat is totally natural.
The pictures are of how I found it except the one with the new bottom job being a month are so later.
Since I spent so little on the boat it was quite enjoyable getting it ready enough to sail again.