Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2023, 08:21   #166

Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

FWIW, here's our MacGregor story:

We have a 34ft "real" sailboat that we sail on San Francisco Bay and along the coast.. For many years we have been wanting to take her on longer voyages, San Juans, Caribbean and ultimately to the Med. Been constantly improving & upgrading the boat to make it more capable for when that would finally happen.

However three years ago, I finally faced the reality that with my day job (that pays the boat bills among other things), the kids, the house, etc, etc, etc this is just not happening, at least not with our current life situation which we do not want to abandon :-).

So after long research we bit the bullet and bought a 2004 Mac 26M.. (we are of course keeping our "real" boat). Did a full refit on the Mac which was shockingly inexpensive compared to what things typically cost for our "big" boat - all new rigging, furler, new sails, ground tackle, electronics, marine head with holding tank & pumpout, etc.

Rechristened the boat Plan B :-).

Since then we have taken Plan B all over South Cal coast and Channel Islands, last summer towed it to Vancouver BC and sailed the Salish Sea and the islands for a month. We are planning to take it to Bahamas next winter, hopefully it works out.. And then who knows, maybe to the Med in a shipping container :-).

We go as far as 50-60 miles offshore in the Mac, obviously with a good weather forecast.

Sailing wise, of course the Mac is nowhere in the heavy keel boat category, it's tender, which you have to kinda get used to, it is also relatively slow under sail. However overtime we have been caught up in really bad conditions twice - once near Point Conception and another in Georgia Straight where we had to beat into the weather all day with waves breaking over the bow into the cockpit. I must admit I was sweating for something major to break but thankfully Mac took it in stride and got us to safe harbor no problem. I do not want to do it again, but Mac got us home, God bless it.

So draw your own conclusions, but I have to say I have huge appreciation for Mac now for what it is and what it allows you to do.

My only real concern is we are now splitting our love and attention (and money) between two older boats and I do not want to shortchange either one..

Cheers and happy sailing!!
Desert_Sailor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 18:43   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Currently: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Macgregor 26M, Paradox 14
Re: Is the macgregor 26 on Sea really so bad as they say

Welcome Aboard Desert_Sailor_.
Excellent points you raise on the M26. In full agreement with you there, speaking from my experiences too
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, macgregor