Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2023, 12:51   #16

Re: Is the cost of the Atlantic Cruising Rally worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebby View Post
Here is the list
https://www.worldcruising.com/CMS/CM...s_2023_ENG.pdf

It would be nice to have all of this, but some things would be additional expenses for us such as :servicing life raft every three years--ours is up-to date-but was not serviced in the last three years, and AIS crew overboard personal beacon for each crew member.

If your life raft has not been serviced in the last three years, then it is not up to date. Three years is the maximum service interval; some manufacturers specify a shorter interval.

An AIS PLB is about US$300. Relative to the costs of running an ocean sailing boat, that's pocket change.

I don't see anything in the ARC safety list that looks particularly onerous or unreasonable; it looks like a pretty standard minimum equipment list for an offshore race.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 12:51   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

What is your goal? ARC is about world cruising. Consider joining the Salty Dawgs rally to the Caribbean departing next November. The cost is far less and you will get great exposure to the life while making many new friends and learning the chops. You can always pick up the ARC from the Caribbean later. We came down in 2016 and never left. For us, it’s about the destination and community, not the ride.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 15:53   #18

Boat: Flamingo 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post

I don't see anything in the ARC safety list that looks particularly onerous or unreasonable; it looks like a pretty standard minimum equipment list for an offshore race.
SSB Radio are expensive
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 16:02   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebby View Post
That is super helpful! I was feeing like maybe we would be "missing something" if we don't do it, but it just doesn't seem worth it. I also don't like the idea of all 200 boats arriving in the same harbor and clamoring for anchor spots. It might actually be more enjoyable to depart when the weather looks good for us sometime after they all leave the Canaries. I'm sure we'll make plenty of friends along the way. Thank you for replying!
We have seen areas denuded as by a flock of locusts after the Cornell rally goes through. I think you're showing wisdom relative to the overcrowding issues; especially it can be fraught about anchoring, or for whom is there no marina berth when the majority have one.

It is always better to make your own weather assessment; you're the ones who have to live with it.

Inviting folks over for sundowners is a great way to make new friends.

Furthermore, this whole idea of safety in numbers is kind of misleading. You'll see. Everyone picks similar weather windows, because the prediction is good for all. So basically, one leaves in a mob. By the first night, you may not have anyone's masthead light in sight. No one wants to sail back upwind to help, if you need it. But the whole purpose of pre-trip planning is to prevent untoward difficulty and to have plans & supplies for solving common problems.

The ocean is big and one is small.

Ann
Old 07-01-2023, 16:07   #20

Boat: Able 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOwens View Post
If your life raft has not been serviced in the last three years, then it is not up to date. Three years is the maximum service interval; some manufacturers specify a shorter interval.

An AIS PLB is about US$300. Relative to the costs of running an ocean sailing boat, that's pocket change.

Well, I guess our life raft has been serviced in the last three years then, since its good through 2024.

As for the AIS PLB's, they would definitely be nice to have, but at $329 a pop with 4-5 crew members, its another big bill. I'm just feeling poor at the moment because we dropped $5000 on a new Hydrovane! First world problems!
stebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 16:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
What is your goal? ARC is about world cruising. Consider joining the Salty Dawgs rally to the Caribbean departing next November. The cost is far less and you will get great exposure to the life while making many new friends and learning the chops. You can always pick up the ARC from the Caribbean later. We came down in 2016 and never left. For us, it’s about the destination and community, not the ride.
Thanks for the info. We're looking to leave from New Hampshire to Azores in June, then to Med for a few months, and then head to Canaries and Caribbean in Nov/Dec. If for some reason the plans fall through (mother in law gets sick or injury or whatever) the salty dawg sounds like a fun idea.
Old 07-01-2023, 16:37   #22

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Stebby, maybe amortize the cost over the miles sailed...may be a deal! My early (read discounted) registration for the Marion-Bermuda for this yr was $1600...that gets you pre-race weather, boat safety check, real-time tracking out (not back), maybe awards dinner and the privilege of saying you entered...no slips at either end AND that's for approx 650 nm. I think you have the better deal.
Sailed last yr to Bermuda from long island (didnt enter the race, its fee $3000), left same day as Newport Bermuda boats, I think about 70+, saw 1 boat after 1st day then noone until 4-6 hrs outside of the island.
So as Ann noted, big ocean, small us...
thnks
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 17:43   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Let's put it this way... every boat I have crossed in would have failed their inspection, both mine and deliveries I have done.
If you go on their site I'm sure you'll find a list of inspection.
I would fail the training requirement
'Training required within the 5 years before the start of the rally'

Struth, most of mine doesn't meet the 50 year requirement. Not even my BRM 20 years ago would count.

I recall meeting some people in London in the '90s who were planning on dropping - from memory - £10,000 to sign up for some round the world rally or other. Asked what they got for the money. Visas and marina berths organised.
Told them that if they gave me £5k I would fly ahead and do that for them.
Old 07-01-2023, 20:33   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

The cost benefit of paying a steep entry fee for a couple of parties and lectures is negative.
When you are at sea you are not at a party, but you may get benefit from your boat inspection as a consequence of the fee.

Spend the entry fee on boat gear.
and go to a harbour on a different Canary island, not las Palmas, which will be less crowded and have available berths.
Depart a few days after the ARC start to arrive a few days after the majority of ARC finishers and berths will be less problematic.
kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 21:27   #25

Boat: Volkscruiser

Ping now you're talking, that could be a holiday I would be interested in. As a sweetener I would even be at the marina to catch their dock lines.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:18   #26

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Other than paying to join for similar reasons that you might join a fraternity or sorority, this screenshot I just took from the marine traffic website makes me wonder why.

If it’s safety in numbers that people are looking for, maybe an AIS would be a better investment. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15DB2E1C-7942-4450-8137-D355487BD975.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	269686  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:34   #27

What do the diff colors of boaty's ndicate?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:18   #28

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
What do the diff colors of boaty's ndicate?
What type of boat/ship you are seeing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:48   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kish View Post
The cost benefit of paying a steep entry fee for a couple of parties and lectures is negative.
When you are at sea you are not at a party, but you may get benefit from your boat inspection as a consequence of the fee.

Spend the entry fee on boat gear.
and go to a harbor on a different Canary island, not las Palmas, which will be less crowded and have available berths.
Depart a few days after the ARC start to arrive a few days after the majority of ARC finishers and berths will be less problematic.
That's exactly what I was thinking last night after reading these posts! The $2500 could be better spent on gear. I also looked at the other islands for berthing and Tenerife has a big marina as well. The inspection would be nice, but we will have already crossed the Atlantic once at that point, and my husband is an engineer, so we looking over the boat with a fine tooth comb before we leave anyway.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:50   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Other than paying to join for similar reasons that you might join a fraternity or sorority, this screenshot I just took from the marine traffic website makes me wonder why.

If it’s safety in numbers that people are looking for, maybe an AIS would be a better investment. Take a look.
You should see what it looks like during November on the Canaries to Caribbean route...a mass of pink boats!

Tags
cruising