Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 12:11   #16

Re: Ideas for boat doing French Canals 1st, Med 2nd

Ductch Boier or Tjotter.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 12:52   #17

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge

I agree, I prefer GRP and wood over steel but .... you won't always be in tourist canals. A friend was locked in and his big GRP cruiser was crushed by a big steel powerboat. Yes, his boat was repaired under the other skipper's insurance but the boat was never the same.

We were in a very remote canal just about to enter a tunnel and hit something in the water, hard enough to stop the boat. Left a one inch dent in 3/8 inch steel. Would have shattered glass. We weren't alone commercial barge sank in a the tunnel blocking us for a week because they hit something under the water. These canals have a lot of hidden dangers. If you stick to the tourist canals, that is fine but in the commercial canals and rivers, I'll stick to my recommendation that steel is much safer, kind of why some blue water sailors like steel, it can take a hit.

- Rich
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 13:01   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I’ve seen grp inland cruisers hit rocks at 7 knots and not puncture
Old 24-11-2020, 13:21   #19

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

don't think about navigating on French canals by sail.
yes for transit from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean for ex, mast lying on the deck.
if you want to enjoy the canals over a long period, prefer a real riverboat.

a good brand of shallow draft french sailboats: Feeling /Kirié

./.
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 13:27   #20

I'm following this as it's sort of a dream of mine to spend some time in the rivers and canals over there. My DW wants to travel Europe again some day...and visiting these little towns by water on my own liveaboard really appeals to me.

watching RAN sailing on youtube, they recently transited a canal through Sweden with mast up...sailed on the lake as I recall.

How many of the canals and rivers over there could take a sailboat with mast...not just France, but throughout Europe?
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 13:36   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
I'm following this as it's sort of a dream of mine to spend some time in the rivers and canals over there. My DW wants to travel Europe again some day...and visiting these little towns by water on my own liveaboard really appeals to me.

watching RAN sailing on youtube, they recently transited a canal through Sweden with mast up...sailed on the lake as I recall.

How many of the canals and rivers over there could take a sailboat with mast...not just France, but throughout Europe?

Very few in the main
Old 24-11-2020, 14:50   #22

Where are you living in Australia
Bruce Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 18:50   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lewis View Post
Where are you living in Australia
South West WA
robazurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 19:00   #24

Just for clarification,
I know the mast must be off a yacht to navigate French/Dutch canals.
I had not considered how annoying having it on deck would be long term, and disruptive in terms of lock handling, dock manoeuvring etc.
Taking it off, and having it transported to my expected "final" destination sounds like a better option.
The 2 years in "canal land" I expected to leave the boat "in country" while I moved in and out on the 90 day roster. I will finish this period by transiting from Budapest to the Black Sea wintering in Odessa. The 3 year sailing period I expect to be based in the eastern Med after transiting the Black Sea to Istanbul and beyond. Finishing my 5 year plan back in France where I started.
Thoughts?
robazurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 19:34   #25

Boat: Young 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Doing any sailing (mast up) on the French canals will be quite difficult. Besides bridges, tree branches often overhang, and the canals are not very wide. Wind direction may not be helpful, and tacking up a channel is probably not allowed. Rather than carrying a mast around with you for two years, and having a centerboard impinging upon your comfort, it might be better to get a powerboat for the canals (Penichettes are set up for this:https://www.locaboat.com/bateau-et-p...ttes-a-vendre/) and then get a sailboat for the Med later.
This is exactly the suggestion that I was going to make.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 21:00   #26

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robazurus View Post
The 2 years in "canal land" I expected to leave the boat "in country" while I moved in and out on the 90 day roster. I will finish this period by transiting from Budapest to the Black Sea wintering in Odessa. The 3 year sailing period I expect to be based in the eastern Med after transiting the Black Sea to Istanbul and beyond. Finishing my 5 year plan back in France where I started.
Thoughts?
We have a similar plan: retirement and Europe by water .

Firstly, you can get around the 90day because, since we Australian's are so amazing, everyone wants us . There are lots of agreements between Australia and various EU countries that allow stay beyond the 90 days, you just have to be aware of the order of country you have to use!

We decided on a motor vessel rather than a sailing vessel as we wanted to go through the canals, over the top, and around the Med: the total sailing time being pretty minor versus the on-anchor and in-marina time, hence a motor vessel is a better answer (for us!). We have bought already and are just waiting to get back to her in the UK - and for everyone to be well enough again to consider travel!

There's various stories about going over the top (Rhine-Danube, or the European Great Loop) - Tristan Jones did inland in the 60's I think in a trimaran: before the canal! And there's a few books out there from more modern trips.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 05:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Doing any sailing (mast up) on the French canals will be quite difficult. Besides bridges, tree branches often overhang, and the canals are not very wide. Wind direction may not be helpful, and tacking up a channel is probably not allowed. Rather than carrying a mast around with you for two years, and having a centerboard impinging upon your comfort, it might be better to get a powerboat for the canals (Penichettes are set up for this:https://www.locaboat.com/bateau-et-p...ttes-a-vendre/) and then get a sailboat for the Med later.
I second this suggestion!
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 11:10   #28

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

OP you might find watching this video a useful 30 minutes. They've just finished a trip from Med to Amsterdam via canals and river on mono yacht.

Held up for months in France with lockdown.

In this video they give a summary and review of their trip including some useful basic facts, problems etc.

I know that it looks a bit cheesy but the content is a pretty good summation of what to expect.
Old 25-11-2020, 11:14   #29

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

I agree too ...
other countries where to sail: Poland, Netherlands, ...
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 13:23   #30

Boat: Chatam 50

Hi. Nice plan. I think you will need both an ICC and CEVNI before you can take your own boat into the canals. And a copy of the CEVNI rule book on board and a few other odds and ends like boat numbers and nav. lights that work when the mast is on deck. I have a 50' centreboard that just fits both below and above. A bit skinny on air draft. Be sure you have a good handle on your standing rigging settings prior to taking the mast down as you will have a difficult time finding a rigger to reset it all at the other end. Have fun.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, canal, enc