Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2024, 14:01   #1

Hunter 450 Passage - Serious Questions

My wife and I have retired, yay. We have decided to upgrade to a permanent "live aboard" status, not just "dock life", but out-and-about. Primary sailing would be the Caribbean, Amazon to Manaus, and secondaries of French Polynesia, the Med, the ICW, and the Chesapeake.
She loves the layout of the 450, especially the aft cabin - a more "homey" feeling. We did take one out for "test drive", which I did not have any issues with the handling, but it was a perfect day.
I know there's a lot of hunter haters, but I have some serious questions based on the experiences that any of you have with this boat.

Specific questions that I have:
1) has anyone personally (or know of anyone) that has taken this specific boat out for a trans-Atlantic voyage? Was it a good or bad experience, and why?
2) If you are an owner of a 450, what do you like about it / what do you dislike about it?
3) Any specific years (models) that you would embrace or stay away from? (I am looking at a range of 1997 up)

Thanks for your input. (again, please be specific and not just bashing).
Cobbler1775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2024, 04:25   #2

Re: Hunter 450 Passage - Serious Questions

Hi guys so we just purchased a 1997 450 passage that we would sell, too much work for us living in FL and boat is in WA State. Lots of rot, we have the interior well underway. The Hunter is a good cruising boat. We have both a Beneteau 46 and this is my 5th or 6th Hunter. In many ways I prefer the Hunter, I always wanted this boat and found it in a distress sail and purchased for 30k-would sell as is where is for 50k. Lemme know, Pacific Northwest gorgeous summer sailing
Ral2Ral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, passage