Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 13:17   #1
dnp

HR draft

I a newbe to purchasing a sailing yacht as i'm retired now with time to enjoy sailing full time. Looking at a Hallberg-Rassy 40 ft. with a 5'6" draft. Is this draft going to work for long blue water cruising? Thanks for any information out there.
dnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04   #2

Boat: Scanmar 40
Re: HR draft

Hi DNP,
I guess the answer is if it's a Hallberg Rassey then she will do the job in spades and reward you with some great sailing. The draft is not going to be a problem. water sailing">Blue water sailing is what they were designed to do.

All the best

Andy
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:31   #3

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp View Post
I a newbe to purchasing a sailing yacht as i'm retired now with time to enjoy sailing full time. Looking at a Hallberg-Rassy 40 ft. with a 5'6" draft. Is this draft going to work for long blue water cruising? Thanks for any information out there.
What year is the boat you are looking at? I have heard that the newer models sail a little better than the older models. Not sure if they changed the shape of the keel. I lone the engine access on their boats although not a fan of deck stepped masts and in-mast furling.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12   #4

Boat: PSC 34

What Andy said. Lovely boat. Al
Seagullf111a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

What does draft have to do with "blue water sailing" really? ...................... none
Old 03-03-2014, 12:07   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp View Post
I have HR 40 #68. The shoal draft version is 5'8" with the design cruising load. The standard keel is 6'7".

I've sailed a lot of HRs beyond my own (37s, 39s, 40s, 43s, 48s, 53s, and 54s). I've had a lot of correspondence with the factory (I bought mine new and took factory delivery, sailing across the Atlantic in 2006) and with Frers. The upshot is that the polars are so close between shoal and standard draft that you can't see the difference. The righting arm curves are darn close also. Very slightly more wetted surface on the shoal draft. Upshot - no discernible difference in the real world.

The 40 original layout is, in my opinion, one of the best boats around for long-term cruising. The newer classic layout is fine unless you spend a lot of time passagemaking. They are the same hulls from Frers.

I love my boat. I definitely made a good choice.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft