Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 16:13   #16

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: HELP!!!

Since you are moving there I'll say again that Downwind Marine is a valuable resource for you. It is a marine supply store but they know everyone in town in the boating industry. What you need to know they know and they are as helpful as can be. I'd still ask them for a referral for a mechanic.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:15   #17

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: HELP!

You may even get by without hauling it out. That can get a little pricey if you aren't ready for it. I am having a hard time figuring out why the through-hulls would fail unless they were REALLY badly corroded, but that would most likely be a slow leak. IF they were badly corroded AND something fell on one while it was rocking out on the mooring, I could see that. Or perhaps a transducer is leaking. If the through-hulls are ok but a valve has a problem or hose came off you could just have a diver inspect the whole hull and plug the through-hulls from the outside then you are free to work on them all while in the water. (My diver only charges $45 to clean the bottom so I bet $45 or $50 and the few bucks it is for plugs would do it. If you can't get out to the boat right away this could also just buy you some time.) The only thing is if, in trying to remove a valve you end up turning the whole through-hull, then, yes, you'll need to haul out to fix the whole thing because you'll likely have a slow leak from that. But, on the positive side, you'll be able to take care of that bottom painting!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:22   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

It's hard to advise, not knowing all the details. I'm glad you're getting good advice and hopefully this will turn out OK. I would assume that, by the time a someone notices someone else's boat is sitting low, water has reached some vital areas, probably at a minimum the engine oil pan and starter. That could be it, or it could be much, much worse.

Anyway, I'm writing to share the story of when I bought my latest boat. It was in the water, and being cared for by the PO over the winter. At the closing he said the slip was paid up until Spring, and he'd be down there almost every day to keep an eye on it, shovel off any snow, etc.

Within less than a week the snowstorm of the century hit. It took me a couple of days to get there (4 states away.) I had to shovel a place to park outside the marina and walk in through 18" or more of heavy, wet snow. Water filled the holes in the snow that my boots left on the floating dock. The weight of the snow had forced the float down below the surface (which wasn't visible anyway). My dock lines were actually holding up the dock. My bimini was collapsed. It took hours to shovel off the whole boat, and longer to remove and stow the remains of the bimini.

I'm sharing this because THAT was the day I REALLY felt like I owned the boat. Before that it was someone else's responsibility; someone else's boat. Suddenly it became MY responsibility. MY problem. Only then was it really My boat.

It was a lesson well-learned. My previous boat was at the broker's yard for two years until it sold. But I maintained it. Drove by it every day. Washed it, waxed it, kept the batteries topped off, closed hatches the salesmen had left open before a rain, covered it in winter. Meanwhile the other boats around it slowly deteriorated.

Moral of the story: Salesmen, previous owners and even many yard workers are not going to care for a boat the way the owner would. Your boat is your responsibility. Delegate that at your own peril.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 18:41   #19

Boat: Pearson Renegade 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You may even get by without hauling it out. That can get a little pricey if you aren't ready for it. I am having a hard time figuring out why the through-hulls would fail unless they were REALLY badly corroded, but that would most likely be a slow leak. IF they were badly corroded AND something fell on one while it was rocking out on the mooring, I could see that. Or perhaps a transducer is leaking. If the through-hulls are ok but a valve has a problem or hose came off you could just have a diver inspect the whole hull and plug the through-hulls from the outside then you are free to work on them all while in the water. (My diver only charges $45 to clean the bottom so I bet $45 or $50 and the few bucks it is for plugs would do it. If you can't get out to the boat right away this could also just buy you some time.) The only thing is if, in trying to remove a valve you end up turning the whole through-hull, then, yes, you'll need to haul out to fix the whole thing because you'll likely have a slow leak from that. But, on the positive side, you'll be able to take care of that bottom painting!
According to the marina manager, he believes it might be the membrane (for lack of a better word) that is supposed to be keeping the propeller in place. According to the surveyor, once we have the boat hauled out tomorrow we will quickly find the source of the leak. That being said, I have the top membership level with BoatUS Towing, so I will have b it towed tomorrow. According to the manager it is being pumped out daily so it is still taking water but it is at a rate where it should be possible to tow it to a haul out area a couple hours away. Thank you all for your help and advice. Once I find the source of the leak, I will let you know the outcome. More to follow on the next episode of Boat Watch. =)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
asfreeasthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:09   #20

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfreeasthewind View Post
-----According to the manager it is being pumped out daily so it is still taking water but it is at a rate where it should be possible to tow it to a haul out area a couple hours away. -----
Make sure you have functioning bilge pumps and a couple of fully charged batteries on board for the tow, and the appropriate wiring to connect them. It is possible for the leak to increase while in transit, and "a couple hours" could be a long time.
Old 06-04-2016, 20:39   #21

Quote:
According to the marina manager, he believes it might be the membrane (for lack of a better word) that is supposed to be keeping the propeller in place. According to the surveyor, once we have the boat hauled out tomorrow we will quickly find the source of the leak. That being said, I have the top membership level with BoatUS Towing, so I will have b it towed tomorrow. According to the manager it is being pumped out daily so it is still taking water but it is at a rate where it should be possible to tow it to a haul out area a couple hours away. Thank you all for your help and advice. Once I find the source of the leak, I will let you know the outcome. More to follow on the next episode of Boat Watch. =)

Doh! of course! duh. The ol' "dripless" stuffing box. Dripless until it's not. I agree with Mike about 2 hours being a long time and be ready. But just remember, the best bilge pump is a scared man with a bucket! Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-04-2016, 20:42   #22

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Your BoatUS tow boat should be told to bring along a trash pump in case it is needed.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:56   #23

Just wanted to let everyone know that my insurance declared the boat a total loss and i received 2 checks. 1 for the hull and another for some personal items i had left on the boat. Thank you guys for all your helpful suggestions. I will likely take some time before i purchase another boat again. This experience gave me some things to think about. That being said, i do intend on purchasing another boat in the future.

Old 05-05-2016, 14:48   #24

Thx for the update..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:15   #25

Quote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that my insurance declared the boat a total loss and i received 2 checks. 1 for the hull and another for some personal items i had left on the boat. Thank you guys for all your helpful suggestions. I will likely take some time before i purchase another boat again. This experience gave me some things to think about. That being said, i do intend on purchasing another boat in the future.

Wow, really? Ha, I wonder how many of us have sailed all around at one time or another in "total losses?" Well, you'll be able to give US the advice next time! Good luck in your search!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 05-05-2016, 16:07   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

find leak and dive into water, stuff toilet seal wax (rings) into the fail places and then go find what you need at downwind marine in shelter island. no there is nothing where you are. i used to be on the moorings at tidelands park.
you should need only one or two rings.

damn i am sailing all over hellenback in a total loss salvaged off a breakwall in santa barbara. wow.
for the next time, keep spare of toilet ring seal wax in boat for exactly this
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 17:14   #27

Haha. Thanks for the advice i will remember that. As it stands, i was out of state when it happened. I recently moved down to san diego so i am definitely interested in buying another boat, just not immediately.

Old 05-05-2016, 17:23   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

FWIW, at the last SSCA gam in Annapoolis (Camp Letts) the sailboat anchored in front of us had a thru hull let go during the seminars. A member taking a walk saw it down on its lines and mustered volunteers to save it before the owner showed up. No idea why the thru hull went, I believe it was from the sink.

The boat was going down pretty fast, quick response saved the day.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote