Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 03:48   #1

Getting into cruising - Stadt 34 versus Miura

Good day,

I am working towards getting a sail boat that I can use for cruising with my family (wife and two kids (9 and 7)) for short breaks. My family is not too keen on offshore passages, but I would love to overnight in a secure bay, and do the odd trip of 200NM.

The catch is, we live in False bay, close to Cape point, South Africa. Therefore I am looking for a safe boat, where I can do most of the work myself, i.e., shorthanded sailing. I can put my wife or one of the kids on the tiller while I am working on the sails ...

I have read quite a bit about the Miura, and this seems like a good solid boat. However, there are a couple of Van de Stadt 34 boats available, which are in the same price bracket.

How do the two boats compare? Is the Miura stiffer, i.e., does not heel that much?

Also, how do living space compare? How is the living arrangement for four people in a Van de Stadt 34 or Miura?

Would it be possible to fit a shower in either of the two? I know this is not big on many guys lists, but I need to consider to make it somewhat enticing for my wife

Thanks
J
Jaco Versfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:22   #2

Boat: 31ft tank
Re: Getting into cruising - Stadt 34 versus Miura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco Versfeld View Post
Good day,

I am working towards getting a sail boat that I can use for cruising with my family (wife and two kids (9 and 7)) for short breaks. My family is not too keen on offshore passages, but I would love to overnight in a secure bay, and do the odd trip of 200NM.

The catch is, we live in False bay, close to Cape point, South Africa. Therefore I am looking for a safe boat, where I can do most of the work myself, i.e., shorthanded sailing. I can put my wife or one of the kids on the tiller while I am working on the sails ...

I have read quite a bit about the Miura, and this seems like a good solid boat. However, there are a couple of Van de Stadt 34 boats available, which are in the same price bracket.

How do the two boats compare? Is the Miura stiffer, i.e., does not heel that much?

Also, how do living space compare? How is the living arrangement for four people in a Van de Stadt 34 or Miura?

Would it be possible to fit a shower in either of the two? I know this is not big on many guys lists, but I need to consider to make it somewhat enticing for my wife

Thanks
J
I have built a new shower/toilet wet area into my Miura, I am along way behind in my videos with my refit, but there is a link in my signature below to my youtube channel. I have a mid ship wet room/toilet. I can't answer your questions about a Van de Stadt 34, but I'm happy to answer any I can about a Miura. And yes, the Miura is a very stiff boat that does not need to heel much and if it is you have two much sail up, but it will still be forgiving. It is also a boat of ledgends in SA.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 03:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

A Miura is a great small cruising boat at 31 foot for a couple. However, you will be hard pressed with two adults and two kids if thinking of long term cruising. The Stadt 34 would be more accommodating for cruising. The Miura is a great boat for False Bay and a bit of overnight coastal cruising, but quite cramped. Just do not buy a Miura with a wooden deck - the older ones were wooden deck and the later models were GRP decks.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 05:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
A Miura is a great small cruising boat at 31 foot for a couple. However, you will be hard pressed with two adults and two kids if thinking of long term cruising. The Stadt 34 would be more accommodating for cruising. The Miura is a great boat for False Bay and a bit of overnight coastal cruising, but quite cramped. Just do not buy a Miura with a wooden deck - the older ones were wooden deck and the later models were GRP decks.
At least a few Miuras have made it to Aus too. I remember seeing one that had nice home built self-steering using a trim tab off the transom hung rudder. Would be tight with 2 kids...depends if yr a happy camping kind of family, and if you can find something with enough water capacity etc.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising