Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 10:00   #16

Re: Finally took the leap and a massive risk

This is a great Miami location.

There is a small marina with empty slips. I don't know the rates and I believe that they outsource the marina operation.

Might be worth it to give them a call.

Welcome to the official website of the Four Ambassadors Condominiums! – Powered by UpgradeTime.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 12:03   #17

Boat: Westerly, Corsair, 36

Good luck with the "new boat". If you can travel up the St Lucie, Indiantown Marina would work. You can haul your boat and work on it there also if need be. Town is walking distance and it's a very casual environment. Might need bug spray, but I was only there in January.
Kismet36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 13:31   #18

Boat: KP 46

Playboy in Lauderdale, or Cracker Boy in WPB. But if you can make it to Jax Green Cove Springs, very inexpensive, great folks, a bit far from places but they can get anything and there is a good welding/machine shop next door.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 14:15   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

American up in Stuart area has one of the best facilities on the east coast of Florida. Their rates are very good and have excellent resources as well. The people who told you to get out of Miami are straight up. Get her up on ditch and sail north/ motor north till you are out of the land of obscene richness.

By the way, you can also try and find locals who rent out their private docks. I don't know how that would work for your situation of getting to places.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 14:36   #20

Boat: She31 (I am male)

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone, feel like I'm back with my long lost family after 10 years away, made me cry a little. Hope to see you guys and gals out there. PM me for private info if you're interested in communicating. Thanks again, made my day.
she31sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 14:43   #21

OK, I live in Fort Lauderdale and my gf lives in the condos where the marina I mentioned is located.

It is a very safe area. My gf often walks there at night. It is very pretty.

The marina has mostly smaller older boats and some sailboat liveaboards on boats that are far from Bristol so I assume that the prices are reasonable?

You mentioned that you want to be in Miami because of your business which is why I didn't suggest that you should consider moving North or even out of state.

This spot is within walking distance of pretty much everything including many business high rises. In addition there is free trolley service and inexpensive elevated rail.

It is located at the entrance to the Miami River with many marine businesses, lots of them small.

Personally, other people's wealth doesn't bother me and I doubt that many of your clents are poor. Mine aren't.

But if you are offended by exotic cars, yachts and large estates then, yes, that is here for sure.

Google Mary Brickell Village for an overview of the area.

When I first moved to Fort Lauderdale I avoided Miami because of comments similar to some stated here. My mistake.

Good luck.
Old 16-04-2016, 14:58   #22

Boat: Watkins 29

If your up to anchoring out... you might think of moving the boat to the North Miami/North Miami Beach area... at the FIU lagoon near Haulover inlet...its a great spot to anchor out...if you have a dinghy..its a short ride to a Publix and a West Marine store.... Also, the best buys on used sailing equipment can usually be found up the road in Ft. Lauderdale at Sailorman... on State Road 84 near Federal Highway.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 15:31   #23

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Living aboard after a split up; been there done that. As to insurance mine costs $396/ year with Progressive. Never even looked at the boat. What a deal and my marina does require it. good luck, Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 15:33   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sailpower makes a good point by suggesting that people not group all of South Florida into an unreasonably expensive or exclusive area. I grew up in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area and I'm quite familiar with the wealth present, but also the options for reasonable costs. It is a choice to select a marina slip for a cost of $7/ft. or $1.25/ft for an overnight transient slip and the same ratio of options for a monthly rate. You do not need to choose to live in a high crime or "slum" area in order to find a reasonable price and, despite your personal economic status, there are hospitable people in South Florida.
Old 16-04-2016, 15:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
OK, I live in Fort Lauderdale and my gf lives in the condos where the marina I mentioned is located.

It is a very safe area. My gf often walks there at night. It is very pretty.

The marina has mostly smaller older boats and some sailboat liveaboards on boats that are far from Bristol so I assume that the prices are reasonable?

You mentioned that you want to be in Miami because of your business which is why I didn't suggest that you should consider moving North or even out of state.

This spot is within walking distance of pretty much everything including many business high rises. In addition there is free trolley service and inexpensive elevated rail.

It is located at the entrance to the Miami River with many marine businesses, lots of them small.

Personally, other people's wealth doesn't bother me and I doubt that many of your clents are poor. Mine aren't.

But if you are offended by exotic cars, yachts and large estates then, yes, that is here for sure.

Google Mary Brickell Village for an overview of the area.

When I first moved to Fort Lauderdale I avoided Miami because of comments similar to some stated here. My mistake.

Good luck.
Right now she is up the Miami River...no place for a single woman to be... its quite dangerous in that area. Unless you have a Glock in your handbag. I grew up in Miami, and now live in Ft. Lauderdale. Much nicer.

Mary Brickell Village is a much nicer area than Hurricane Harbor area..

I considered docking my boat in that area, but honestly was afraid my car would be vandalized, the boat broken into, or I would get mugged... so I keep my boat behind a private home on the New River...
Old 16-04-2016, 16:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
Right now she is up the Miami River...no place for a single woman to be... its quite dangerous in that area. Unless you have a Glock in your handbag. I grew up in Miami, and now live in Ft. Lauderdale. Much nicer.

Mary Brickell Village is a much nicer area than Hurricane Harbor area..

I considered docking my boat in that area, but honestly was afraid my car would be vandalized, the boat broken into, or I would get mugged... so I keep my boat behind a private home on the New River...
You were worried about all that in Brickell??

Haven't seen any of that. Have you been there lately?

At night it's gorgeous all lit up w lots of safe walking.

I would sure rather be there instead of behind someone's house but to each his own.

I don't feel the need to carry my Glock when I visit and my gf would freak out if I did.

Anyway, it's all good.

Btw, the marina is gated w security and in a beautiful setting. Not sure about the amenities.
Old 16-04-2016, 16:39   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Makes the Philippines sound quite safe by comparison
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 16:40   #28

No..Im talking about Hurricane Harbour area. ...up the Miami River ..Brickell is nice...just abit busy... Any idea what the dockage fee is at your GF's marina. I'd love to find a safe place in Miami.

where I am in Ft. Lauderdale is safe and hurricane protected...but the only place to sail is open ocean...tough in a small boat. Biscayne Bay is much more desireable sailing, just not as hurricane safe
Old 16-04-2016, 18:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
No..Im talking about Hurricane Harbour area. ...up the Miami River ..Brickell is nice...just abit busy... Any idea what the dockage fee is at your GF's marina. I'd love to find a safe place in Miami.

where I am in Ft. Lauderdale is safe and hurricane protected...but the only place to sail is open ocean...tough in a small boat. Biscayne Bay is much more desireable sailing, just not as hurricane safe
Got it. Makes sense now.

Don't know what it costs but there is phone number in my link.

There are a couple of very inexpensive liveaboards there now.

Hope it works out for her.
Old 16-04-2016, 22:11   #30

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Makes the Philippines sound quite safe by comparison
Ha, ha! This morning was spent reading reviews of the Manilla airport as I have 10 hours to kill on a connecting flight there next week. Miami and its surrounds have their good and bad (like anywhere in the world), but when my ex and I bought a boat in South Florida and talked to some people about what it would take to fix up a few things, it became apparent very quickly that any work needed would be much more economical if done in North Florida, on the Gulf Coast, where we lived at the time. For those who don't have intimate knowledge about a place, it is not always easy finding the deals that a local can or knowing which areas to avoid.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote