Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 14:46   #1

Elan yacht

Hi!
I wonder what are the opinions about ELAN yachts.
Concerning blew water sailing.
Thanks.
UDIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:37   #2

Re: Elan yacht

Elan 384 Impression owner with experience of 45 Impressions too. You probably want to specify what model/years you're interested in.

Certainly the post-2002ish Impression line are (I think all) category A rated for ocean going and as a hull are capable. Many were born into charter if in the Med and their layout and tankage may not currently be ideal for all cruising plans.

What models/era/plans would you be considering? I'm sure there will be some opinions. Worth checking out some more European oriented forums too (e.g. YBW) as the Elan's are much more common in the Med/Adriatic.
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:27   #3

I m looking at this type
https://www.elan-yachts.com/en/yacht...-impression-45
Old 02-01-2020, 06:46   #4

Boat: Elan Impression 45

I have an Elan Impression 45 since March 2019 bought brand new. It's very subjective to answer such question and in any case what does "bluewater sailing" means?

Very strong hulls (the reason Elan keeps using the same hull after 15 years, even for the latest Impression 45.1) and quite fast for a cruiser. Vacuum infusion technique is supposed to be the strong point for Elans.
Quality overall is quite good. Everything put together well, the boat feels solid and strong. Like all boats I believe there are design errors but these are subjective and personal opinions.
Tankage is not bad at all. My boat carries 788lt of water (516lt is the standard but I have ticked the additional water tank option) which is superb and 215lt of diesel. Earlier 2015-2018 models had 270lt of diesel which is even better.
The Impression 45 can handle rough seas quite well. Sailing down the Adriatic with waves of 2-3m at the side and strong wind the boat was simply cutting through the waves. What is also impressive with this model is the fact that even motoring against waves the bow will rarely slam.
SailingMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:03   #5

Hi!
Thanks.
Blue water means ruff long ocean crossings. That means that i m talking about convinience and Storage area.
Also id like to understand how much light during the day you have at the cabin.
Thanks.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:21   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

A friend of mine was sailing and in Ventotene in the early morning his wife put several gallons in the diesel tank. Must say she was up very early and decided to wash the boat, so not very awake after a sleepnes night. In Ventotene old harbour ( cut out in the rocks by roman slaves ) you have a 2ft ledge 1 ft under water at the jetty side for ship loading. Probably by slaves as well.

So because of the rudder sailboats are moored bow to the jetty, the other way round. So she put water in the tank at the far end of the jetty, with is always the water tank, except in Ventotene!

I always have lot of tools on board so I helped him get to the diesel tank to pump out the water in the bottom.
It took us a long time to get to the tank at the bottom of the stairs.

I was very surprised with the solid quality of the floor boards and the supporting structure below it on his boat. I would not hesitate to recommand the build quality of the Elan.

The only minus point was that there was no access hatch in the flooring to get to the inspection hatch in the tank. We had to cut through the second layer of flooring, yes 1 layer of removable boards and another layer of fixed structural flooring below that.

So Elan build quality = very OK!!!!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:10   #7

[QUOTE=sailormed;3047907

The only minus point was that there was no access hatch in the flooring to get to the inspection hatch in the tank. We had to cut through the second layer of flooring, yes 1 layer of removable boards and another layer of fixed structural flooring below that.

So Elan build quality = very OK!!!![/QUOTE]

I suppose it was not an Impression 45 because this model does have a removable floor to get access to the fuel tank inspection hatch and other fittings on the tank.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDIU View Post
Hi!
Thanks.
Blue water means ruff long ocean crossings. That means that i m talking about convinience and Storage area.
Also id like to understand how much light during the day you have at the cabin.
Thanks.
LOTS of storage area! Many, many cabinets everywhere, space below beds, lot’s of (deep) area below the floors, very nice fridge and the separate freezer (or you can use it as fridge) is a real plus.

Tags
yacht