Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 12:13   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35'
Re: Dinette Design

Vigor's 20 small sailboats (pg.101)- "The galley (my note: Nicholson 31 or most of the boats in the book), as usual, was designed by someone interested in providing sleeping berths than decent cooking space. It's adequate, but only because most sailor's expectations are unusually low. Considering the importance of a galley, particularly on a liveaboard world cruiser, it's wonder the layout doesn't get more attention and not just on the Nicholson."

Furthermore, (Vigor, pg.42, Cape Dory 25D)- "Unfortunately , there's a design law that says if you stick four full-sized bunks and an oversized head into a 25 footer (my note again- or most of the boats in the book), you don't have any room left over for a chart table, and precious little for a galley. There is a galley, to be sure, but it would delight only the heart of a Spartan."

I am gonna have to revisit my original list and consider the trade-offs for a straight line galley. The HR 35, Pacific Seacraft Orion, and the Rawson are all straight line and, importantly, either a Vigor, Mahina, or Atom Voyages selection which gives me a starting point.

Damnation- living in Texas, the most important decision most men have to make every three or four years is F150, Silverado, Tundra or Ram! No wonder I am rusty at this.

Thanks all for the input I have the information I need.

Bill
BillyBobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:17   #17

Boat: Pearson Triton 28
Re: Dinette design

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Because you mix up starboard with port.
Could be I was drinking some port the other night But seriously, I was on a Bristol 32 today and yet again the stove was to starboard!
T2Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobtx View Post
Vigor's 20 small sailboats (pg.101)- "The galley (my note: Nicholson 31 or most of the boats in the book), as usual, was designed by someone interested in providing sleeping berths than decent cooking space. It's adequate, but only because most sailor's expectations are unusually low. Considering the importance of a galley, particularly on a liveaboard world cruiser, it's wonder the layout doesn't get more attention and not just on the Nicholson."

Furthermore, (Vigor, pg.42, Cape Dory 25D)- "Unfortunately , there's a design law that says if you stick four full-sized bunks and an oversized head into a 25 footer (my note again- or most of the boats in the book), you don't have any room left over for a chart table, and precious little for a galley. There is a galley, to be sure, but it would delight only the heart of a Spartan."

I am gonna have to revisit my original list and consider the trade-offs for a straight line galley. The HR 35, Pacific Seacraft Orion, and the Rawson are all straight line and, importantly, either a Vigor, Mahina, or Atom Voyages selection which gives me a starting point.

Damnation- living in Texas, the most important decision most men have to make every three or four years is F150, Silverado, Tundra or Ram! No wonder I am rusty at this.

Thanks all for the input I have the information I need.

Bill
The Rawson is a strong and comfortable little boat, but many were home finished and definitely not in the class of the HR or Orion etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 13:59   #19

The more I read about the Orion the more and more I am impressed. Really impressed.

Bill
Old 02-10-2014, 14:02   #20

They are pretty cool, although I would be looking at a Cape Dory for the potential price difference.... like 1/3....
I don't personally put the value on PS boats to the extent their advertising has convinced many to believe. Not saying they aren't good though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 17:06   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I have some pics of the HR Rasmus 35 on blog SednaHR35. They are an older model, so affordable. Mine in premo condition was ~$50k. Relatively shallow draft too.

I'm on the pacific side so I guess it's ok the galley is to starboard, saloon to port. I like mine. Celestial Sailor has one, might have a different opinion or something to add.

JimK
Old 02-10-2014, 19:56   #22

Thanks Cheech. The Cape Dory is a nice cruiser, but an Alberg design. I am still hoping to find a straight line galley. Hate to quote Vigor again, but he slammed Alberg's galley on the Triton (I can't believe that Alberg hated food). The cost savings would be really nice though as those Orions are pricey.

But in the end it may be a cost trade off that sends me to a non straight line galley in which case I would hope to find a Southern Cross or Vancouver. The appeal of the Orion is the relatively newer build date compared to those.

JKindred- thank you so much but on reflection when we start talking 35' it would be a third boat for me, I think. Dang fine boat though.

Thanks and happy sails,

Bill