Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 15:06   #46

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: crash bulkheads on production boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You have 4 watertight doors in your boat and think it’s useless and futile to prevent sinking? Well then, clearly I was wrong and offer you my apologies for my wrong conclusion

To get into the subject again: do your doors close towards the center of the boat? You state that one can’t move the door against incoming water flow, but as that almost always comes from either the bow or the stern, one would assume water flow aids closing of the doors?
To state the obvious, if/when a boat takes on water, it begins to list, go bow down, stern down or some combination thereof making the incoming water flow in a direction you didn’t consider.

If you want to discuss further, please refrain from judgmental attitudes and personal attacks. Your attitude over a contrary opinion serves only to reflect poorly on you.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 23:26   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I might follow a wider field of sailing news than the average cruiser here, and whilst there have been some noted and publicised events of cruising boats hitting objects at sea that caused sufficient damage to be of major concern, including the boat sinking, I would like to highlight some other events.

In pretty much every single major offshore racing event for the last few years competitors have hit objects at sea and caused serious damage.

This year, I think (I didn't make a spreadsheet, sorry) every single offshore event that I followed the news for had serious collisions resulting in at least one boat (from a relatively small entry list) retiring or returning to port for repairs.

Whilst I appreciate that a lot of these were high speed yachts possibly resulting in higher collision damage, the real point that I wanted to make was from a statistical point of view.

It seems that there is SO MUCH stuff floating around out there now that the odds of hitting something at some stage seem to be quite high these days.

So it seems that positive buoyancy (however you want to achieve that) would be a sensible item to have on the wish list for a future offshore cruising boat purchase.

Because unfortunately the issue of floating debris at sea will only get worse for the foreseeable future.

Here's one more for the "floating debris" list, sunk in 3,000 metres depth just near Sumbawa Indonesia. I would have thought such a large charter yacht would have watertight compartments that would have restricted or confined flooding.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 23:27   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Here's one more for the "floating debris" list, sunk in 3,000 metres depth just near Sumbawa Indonesia. I would have thought such a large charter yacht would have watertight compartments that would have restricted or confined flooding.

Oops no attachment Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	204193
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 00:06   #49

Steel hull, well designed and built in NZ with watertight compartments. 3 metres draft.

Would be interesting to hear how she sunk.

pdf. of specs in here:

https://www.37southyachtcharter.com/...ing/yacht/asia
Ianau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36   #50

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

It seems to be the modus operandi of this site. I really thought it would get better once a certain Oyster owner left, but others have filled the void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post

If you want to discuss further, please refrain from judgmental attitudes and personal attacks. Your attitude over a contrary opinion serves only to reflect poorly on you.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:52   #51

that's a thumbs up for you. I visit another site (nothing to do with sailing) and the motto is "be excellent to each other" and it's strictly enforced. Keeps people on the right track and the site constructive.

Anyway we're straying from topic here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It seems to be the modus operandi of this site. I really thought it would get better once a certain Oyster owner left, but others have filled the void.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:47   #52
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thread title:

crash bulkheads on PRODUCTION boats.

While I would love a sun deer and especially a Bestever they are hardly production boats and rank among the elite. Lucky for you guys but to most of us that’s like arguing about whose car is better: Bentley or Rolls. Meanwhile I’ve got a beat up Chevy.
Your choice of boat doesn’t change the fact that the brands you mention are production boats. Do you think a Sundeer costs more than an Oyster, Contest, Hallberg Rassy, Chris White, Amel etc.? Which ones have watertight bulkheads and which don’t? Many report they do, Alden 50 with as many as Bestevaer.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:31   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
To state the obvious, if/when a boat takes on water, it begins to list, go bow down, stern down or some combination thereof making the incoming water flow in a direction you didn’t consider.

I offered you my apologies and I’m sorry that isn’t good enough for you but it’s all I have to offer here on the forum. Do you realize that I used words like “may feel insecure” which you take as personal attack and that what you write here is in fact a personal attack on me in a much more confrontational manner? You should come down from your moral throne and consider your own behavior before pointing fingers so loudly.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:38   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Helpful post Tell me what I did to you because even though I have been on this forum longer than you, I don’t remember ever writing anything about you that deserves your comment. It seems bashing people off topic is your modus operandi and that only when you can join others.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:47   #55

My boat was built with 4 compartment sub division ,collision bulkhead and 2 WT doors.

When I had the doors built the mfg preferred 1/4 over the 3/16 I had specified

.He claimed the 3/16 would hold fine , but would dimple .

My response was the dimples would make a great sea story.

Remember all penetrations need to be WT, a second internal bulkhead stuffing box may be required as well a valving to the bilge pump system.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:58   #56

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
My Amel 53 has SIX water tight compartments.

The chain locker The forward cabin. The main cabin. The engine room. The aft cabin. The aft locker. Each can be fully isolated in the event of a hull breech keeping the boat afloat.

Like you said, it’s a no brainer. With a LITTLE design work it doesn’t even add much cost.to the build.

But nobody else does it. The dollar rules.

Ignoring the last and erroneous line I'm hoping this isn't the reason you bought your boat because you probably won't like the many responses you will get.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:07   #57

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I agree with the notion that this should be a no-brainer.

Total watertight integrity may not be achievable, but a collision bulkhead forward aft of the chain locker, a watertight area under the v-berth, a watertight lazarette and a watertight steering gear compartment would go a long way.

Water tight doors are not hard to make, and cables and hoses can be located high enough that there would be no problem with sealing bulkheads. The doors actually need not be completely watertight, limiting the flow of water would be enough. As for closing doors, there is no need to wait until the water is knee-high over the floor boards. When bilge alarm sounds, close the doors. No water to fight. It is always possible to open them later. At the least, this buys you time. And time is of the essence when the boat is flooding.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:43   #58

Boat: CLC Skerry

As I learned it in the Coast Guard, a "watertight compartment" is a space that cam be completely sealed off so that no water can enter from any direction, even over the top. I believe most people here are confusing "watertight compartments" with watertight bulkheads, which separate bilge areas, but can be overtopped by influx of water, possibly flooding the next compartment. This is what happened to the Titanic, which did NOT have watertight compartments, only water tight bulkheads. In 65 years of sailing, I have never seen a yacht with watertight compartments except for a couple of arctic-classed all-metal boats.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:10   #59

Far as I'm aware the AMEL's do have a watertight bulkhead. The bilge is separated to stop water passing through, the cable conduits are also sealed and there is a ratchet on every door that you can attach and turn to seal the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
As I learned it in the Coast Guard, a "watertight compartment" is a space that cam be completely sealed off so that no water can enter from any direction, even over the top. I believe most people here are confusing "watertight compartments" with watertight bulkheads, which separate bilge areas, but can be overtopped by influx of water, possibly flooding the next compartment. This is what happened to the Titanic, which did NOT have watertight compartments, only water tight bulkheads. In 65 years of sailing, I have never seen a yacht with watertight compartments except for a couple of arctic-classed all-metal boats.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14   #60

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
....in addition, Henri Amel didn't like dorades and instead used a forced fresh air system. This system can also be shut off and sealed from outside of the flooded compartments.
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, head