Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2021, 18:02   #106

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Climb mast - no ropes!

who needs steps or rope ?

cheers,
Old 30-07-2021, 18:12   #107

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Because sometimes you don't have a belay.
Because sometimes a belay is not worth the bother.
Would you get a belay if you could just to go up a stairway? Why or why not? If not, who are you to judge those who can climb a mast or a cliff far more safely than you can climb a stair?
Well, your "logic" befuddles me.
About the time you get real comfortable going aloft, that's when it happens. IMHO
Your choice though what you want to do to yourself.
If you Error on Safety's side, you may preserve your or someone else's life you care about.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 03:32   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Well, your "logic" befuddles me.
About the time you get real comfortable going aloft, that's when it happens. IMHO
Your choice though what you want to do to yourself.
If you Error on Safety's side, you may preserve your or someone else's life you care about.
SV Cloud Duster
How many people do you know of who have fallen from aloft because they had no belay?
Do you know how many rockclimbing accidents happen to people with ropes and gear compared to people freesoloing?
Safety gear is not foolproof, and is no substitute for experience and competence. I'd rather be responsible for someone with the confidence to do things un-belayed than the weenie who can't get both feet off the ground without a panoply of ropes and winches and helmets and slings.
Old 31-07-2021, 05:13   #109

Quote:
How many people do you know of who have fallen from aloft because they had no belay?
Do you know how many rockclimbing accidents happen to people with ropes and gear compared to people freesoloing?
Safety gear is not foolproof, and is no substitute for experience and competence. I'd rather be responsible for someone with the confidence to do things un-belayed than the weenie who can't get both feet off the ground without a panoply of ropes and winches and helmets and slings.
When you just trust the safety gear implicitly is when all the accidents I have personally heard about happening, happened. I know two people who climbed an auto belay wall freesolo because they just forgot to clip in. Implicit trust in the safety equipment, no belay partner to double check with. One panicked halfway up and broke his pelvis unfortunately.

I don't personally know anyone who has gotten hurt using one but I don't consider a bosun's chair a "safety device". I'll stick to my coming harness thanks.

If I had mast steps I'd climb my mast in a second freesolo, with less trepidation than climbing an extension ladder. If I was doing any length of work aloft, I'd want to clip in for comfort (a seat) and peace of mind. Right now I use jumar/ascenders on two separate halyards fixed in place. I grab halyards all season long for anyone at my marina that asks. My personal level of risk. Freedom is great.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 13:52   #110

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
A Weenie?
What else!
Silly egos.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rope