Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 04:56   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Catalina or Hunter

What type sailboat was that headed out through the surf line (above)? Cal?

Also for you engine aficionados, that red fishin' boat is powered by a single 950hp Yanmar:

(Fishing boat Smáey VE-144 ~ Heimaey Island (Home Island),Vestmann Islands, Iceland.

Running for cover.

Force 10-11 ~ Feb 2005.

She is 90ft X 30ft X 19ft.draft. Engine 950 HP Yanmar. Built 2001)

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:28   #122

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

I'll be interested in hearing how the survey turns out on h20's prospective boat buy. From the photos it looks like a pretty nice liveaboard and the price seems pretty reasonable.
CruisingCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20 View Post
Thanks for asking!
here she is:
1988 Catalina 30-T sailboat for sale in Florida

These are great boats! I owned an 88 C30 Tall rig as my first boat. The only thing is the photo on the link appears to be that of a standard rig. The tall rig has a bow sprit...good luck!
Jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 14:50   #124

Looks like you have decided on the Catalina 30 after looking at 1000's of boats. You may want to take a little while before the purchase though.

You were asking earlier how the jib gets to the other side during a tack. I'm thinking a good starter boat might be a Hobie 16 if you are going to Florida anyway.

It's a coastal cruiser just like the Catalina 30. They used to race the Hobie 16's from Southern Florida to Virginia Beach back in the day in the ocean all the way. Most "cruisers" would never do that.

If you want to cruise around a bit and camp out on a boat though, the Catalina 30 is a good choice. But if you want to really learn sailing selecting a small, fast boat first will teach you tons.

You see on a small fast boat when you pull a "string" something will happen and happen fast. Then you are like, okay now I know what that does. On a big boat it could take as much as 45 seconds to have an effect.

Also, you usually launch from the beach so you sail out without any rudders due to the shallow water or sit on the bow with your feet in the water, have a beer, and let the boat be blown offshore if it's an offshore breeze.

These are just some of the things you learn rather quickly on a small boat. And if you are lucky enough to have racing you learn tons more.

For example, if you lose an hour long race at speeds or 10-24 knots by 25 seconds you are like was it my mast rake, maybe I sheeted in an inch too much on the main, or was it the jib I sheeted in too tight, was I in the current too much, maybe I was traveled out too far or in too far, or was it that my mast prebend wasn't too tight, or maybe I was going too low and should have gone a bit higher for speed, and so on:

Hobie 16:

Old 01-01-2014, 15:11   #125

h20 has a wife to think about. If he wants to get her interested in sailing and cruising a nice comfortable, forgiving boat like the Catalina 30 is a very good choice in my opinion. They're easy to sail, have decent room, can be single handed with no problem, keep you pretty dry in rough water, and with that wing keel will be able to get anchorages in places deep draft boats can't go.

If you're going out for the pure thrill, the Cat 30 is probably not it. But if you want to cruise and go island hopping, and live onboard - and do it all without breaking the bank - the Cat 30 is a fine choice.
Old 01-01-2014, 15:27   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
h20 has a wife to think about. If he wants to get her interested in sailing and cruising a nice comfortable, forgiving boat like the Catalina 30 is a very good choice in my opinion. They're easy to sail, have decent room, can be single handed with no problem, keep you pretty dry in rough water, and with that wing keel will be able to get anchorages in places deep draft boats can't go.

If you're going out for the pure thrill, the Cat 30 is probably not it. But if you want to cruise and go island hopping, and live onboard - and do it all without breaking the bank - the Cat 30 is a fine choice.
You are 100% correct, but this is 2014. The Marines just had two females complete infantry training under the same rules as the guys.

Also, after watching an overweight 63 year old employee die in the past 2 months, I'm thinking we all may be doing something wrong with this acting old business. So, I went out and did 30 miles on the bike today just to get the rust out. It's in the 40's here also.

I raced my NACRA 6.0 with a female crew for a couple years. Yes, she was scared some of the time but also loved it some of the time. We were in our 40's then.

The fellow above died of liver cancer; she died of brain cancer.

Our diets are crap and I would recommend everyone read the book:

Never be Sick Again by Raymond Francis.

Okay, off the soap box.

Racing not only teaches you how to tack the jib through etc it also teaches you right of way rules. Racers will let you know real fast if you are doing something incorrectly in that area. Also in catamaran racing, there are no engines allowed even in our yearly 100 mile Round the Island races.

Quick race: (looks like there's quite a few wives and girlfriends racing in the video below)

Old 01-01-2014, 15:34   #127

More female sailors:

Old 01-01-2014, 15:45   #128
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catalina or Hunter

Think your going over the top mate... cannot see a lady who's never sailed playing on a Hobie.. more that likely put her off for life..
Stick with the Catalina 30... take small steps and don't push the envelope as they say in corny scripts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 15:56   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Think your going over the top mate... cannot see a lady who's never sailed playing on a Hobie.. more that likely put her off for life..
Stick with the Catalina 30... take small steps and don't push the envelope as they say in corny scripts..
I definitely understand your opinion. It takes a long time for folks to change and this is the cruisers forum anyway.

See the videos above with the female crews. I also saw one female skipper.

In the middle of my catamaran racing years was when my divorce occurred. So, when my real crew, my son, wasn't available, my girlfriend at the time had to fill in.

Two of them raced with me, and others were willing to get into the harness, trap out, and practice with me and all were in their 40's then. Also there was one nongirlfriend triathlete that just wanted to experience the speed of catamaran racing.
Old 01-01-2014, 17:23   #130

I would stick to a non cored hull... that would keep you away from Hunter... Catalina does not change style each year to have the LOOKS that are the trend, and is not a cored hull. Once the folks at Catalina find an hull and style that works it tends stay around for a quite a while... The craftsmanship inside on Hunter boats seems to be of a lower quality when compared to Catalina.
wmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 18:23   #131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmadams View Post
I would stick to a non cored hull... that would keep you away from Hunter... Catalina does not change style each year to have the LOOKS that are the trend, and is not a cored hull. Once the folks at Catalina find an hull and style that works it tends stay around for a quite a while... The craftsmanship inside on Hunter boats seems to be of a lower quality when compared to Catalina.
I've never seen a Hunter with a cored hull. Which model/year are you referring to ?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:57   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've never seen a Hunter with a cored hull. Which model/year are you referring to ?
I can't remember what year Hunter starting doing that. But I think it was in the 90's sometime they started with cored hulls, cored above the waterline with endgrain balsa. All the pre-86 Cherubini Hunters had single glass laminate hull. But it might have been the post-86 boats that started with that, I can't remember. Our Legend 37 is a 86 and it does not have the cored hull.

There is nothing inherently "bad" about a cored hull, just as there is nothing inherently "bad" about cored decks. The cored hull is less prone to oil canning and stiffer overall than a single glass laminate. What eventually gets most deck cores is cracks in the gelcoat that aren't taken care of. So you get water intrusion in the glass, that eventually makes it into the core. That is less likely to happen on the hull because of the fact that the hull doesn't get the amount of UV damage that decks typically get.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:30   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You were asking earlier how the jib gets to the other side during a tack.
I found this movie that shows it. It is a Hallberg-Rassy 64 and if you watch in the first part of it, h20 can see how the jib tacks through.

Hallberg-Rassy 64 - YouTube

It is a perfectly logical question for somebody new to sailing probably. h20 said he is taking sailing lessons. So I think it will become more clear to him after he does that. I hope his wife can take sailing lessons with him too. It will give her more confidence when they get their new boat. It is pretty exciting to see a couple get into sailing and eventually cruising. If you don't do anything outlandish you can end up with a wife that would rather go sailing than go shopping. And it don't get any better than that

Most women I have ever met that have never been on a sailboat are going to be a lot more impressed with going out the first time on a Catalina 30 than on a Hobie. And that first impression for your wife or girlfriend might make the difference between her deciding this is something she really likes, or deciding only idiots do this. If you're married and your wife decides right off the bat that only idiots do this, your sailing career is probably not going to go very far
Old 02-01-2014, 11:36   #134

Quote:

Most women I have ever met that have never been on a sailboat are going to be a lot more impressed with going out the first time on a Catalina 30 than on a Hobie.
You could be showing your age with that statement.

Things are changing fast these days. Quite a few times in the last few years, I'll hear one of these young military types hitting high revs coming out the gate on one of those crotch rocket motorcycles. As I glance I'm thinking I hope he is caref........

then you see the Katniss Everdeen style long ponytail flying from under the helmet.

A slow, easy to sail monohull would definitely be best for those more used to a sedentary life style, but today the ladies are doing much more. Plus, many get board really fast sailing along at 4-8 knots.

I was held at the gate this am by a female MP.

Then there's Rhonda Rousey. See pictures below of Rousey and Everdeen:

Google Image Result for http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/28900000/Katniss-katniss-everdeen-28914701-1250-1599.jpg

Google Image Result for http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/fighting-stances/2012/08/19/ronda-rouseyx-wide-community.jpg

Then there's the current F-16 Catamaran Racing Champion Sarah Newberry:

Trimaran Projects and Multihull News: US Multihull Championships (F16 Catamaran)

And the female marines that completed AIT:

http://news.msn.com/us/1st-3-women-m...nfantry-course

Then again, we are all different. I think like 70% or more Americans are overweight these days. So you probably wouldn't be seeing many women over 45 doing tough sports unless you are doing those sports yourself.

A few years ago I went with a group of Triathletes and bike racers on a 60 mile bike ride. At the end I was feeling pretty darn good for having completed it. Afterward, a couple of the ladies decide to go for a 3 mile run. They were age 30 something and 40 something.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48   #135

Quote:
All the pre-86 Cherubini Hunters had single glass laminate hull. But it might have been the post-86 boats that started with that, I can't remember.
I believe the last year the Cherubini Hunters were made was 1983. (I have a 1983 Hunter 30)
mistersmith2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter