Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 16:43   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Catalina 34 Questions

Hello Sailors,

I am still in the hunt for my first boat. After a couple of attempts I decided to wait a bit more until I improve my sailing skills. Now I am back to hunting. I found a 1994 Catalina 34 that I am interested in (C34 seems to be the boat that suits me the best). I have noticed some issues and would like to have some opinion:
  • Running rigging on the boat is the originals from 1994 and the boat has been used extensively. She made it to and back from Hawaii (from SF) and sailed extensively on the West coast. It should be changed. How much would it cost at a ballpark figure?
  • Standing rigging is also the original one. I read that it is recommended to change standing rigging every 7 hears or so. By any measure, time has come to replace it. How much should I expect it to cost? (again I am after a ballpark figure, $1k or $3k type of thing). I did some searches but I see vague figures between $2k to $6k, which looked like too wide of a range.
  • Engine has some 1300-1400 hours on it. This is the most used engine in the boats that I have looked at so far. Would this be a concern? (this makes me consider an engine survey in addition to the standard survey)
  • Something I noticed, water coming from the exhaust seems to be way too much, especially when the motor is throttled up (even in idle). Water coming out of the exhaust is important and I get the principle but I don't think I have seen any boat that pushes out that much water out of the exhaust. I even thought the motor could be in gear as I thought that the propeller was pushing the boat, never seen anything like that. I did some googling around but didn't see anything close. Any idea what this might be?
  • And last point, the boat has been sitting idle in the dock for a good 1.5 years or maybe more. It needs a bottom job. I am wondering if not doing a bottom paint for too long causes and structural issues, blisters, etc.
I will definitely go for a survey (and likely with an engine survey too) but understanding above is important for me to figure out a fair price before I go further. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 22:44   #2

Boat: catalina 400 MKII
Re: Catalina 34 Questions

Good questions. 1 & 2: Cost of runnning and standing rigging. Go down to Svenson's Rig Shop and ask them. They can give you the best informed answers in your area. Yes, there are a lot of other fine riggers in the Bay Area, but Svenson's will get you in up to speed right away. #3: The Engine. You bettcha, get an engine survey. Don't even think about buying an older boat without one, unless you are an experienced mechanic. That will also let you know about #4: The Water Discharge. #5: Sitting Idle. That's bad for a boat, but not to make blisters worse. Check out the electronics and the interior and any extertior wood. Water damage? Things not working? Setting a price is always difficult. Look at ads in YachtWorld.com and Latitude 38, and at Farralone Yachts. If there is a broker involved, he/she can print up a comparison sheet (asking vs. selling price) for you. If you set a price and the survey shows problems, don't be afraid to walk away, or renegociate the price. Before you make any offer, go to the Catalina 34 International website and browse around. Especially in the Critacal Upgrades Section. You will be a much better informed buyer. The Catalina 34 is a great boat - I owned one myself before I bought my current boat. Good luck to you.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:15   #3
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Thanks Scotty, appreciate the input. I ended up walking away from that boat and I am glad I did. I bought a 1999 Catalina 320 instead. I would have preferred a Catalina 34 as it sails better but I am happy with my C320 as my first boat. It has a nice balance of interior space and sailing characteristics, and I understand it has a relatively good resale value, which are all important things for me.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 21:13   #4

Congratulations!! Happy sailing to you on your new boat!!
Old 10-07-2013, 21:21   #5

Boat: Pearson 31-2

I also had a Catalina 34-II ( a 2000) and they are great sailing boats.

Not sure what would cause excessive water in the exhaust. Usually a strong impeller flow is a good sign. Was it coming out in "gloops" at idle or a steady stream? The water lift muffler holds two gallons or so.

Guess it's moot since you went with a 320.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delirious.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	63910  
Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 15:55   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Excessive water flow might just indicate that the pump is strong and that it has great circulation. If it is a saltwater cooled engine then it needs to be throttled (with a valve) back a bit because the engine will run too cool. Too little water is very very bad.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:03   #7

Obviously a little late for the OP, since he has already bought another boat, but...

1300-1400 hours on a diesel that has been well cared for is nothing. Diesels that are regularly and properly maintained can go ten times that. The key is if they are getting the routine maintenance that they need, or if they are being neglected.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:44   #8

Excessive water at cool tempreture can be a sign that there is a problem with the thermostat. You want the engine to warm up properly, that's why it's not a good idea to just take the thermostat out.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:52   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
Excessive water at cool tempreture can be a sign that there is a problem with the thermostat. You want the engine to warm up properly, that's why it's not a good idea to just take the thermostat out.
Only if its a raw water cooled engine. Engines with a heat exchanger have no high flow restrictions
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:48   #10

Boat: Pearson 31-2

Yep. Catalina uses a closed cooling system.
Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina