Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 21:42   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Brewer 44 vs Mason 44

Comparing these two boats, I am wondering what people think about the two designs. Just looking for some general thoughts about what you do and don't like about these vessels.

-Dave
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 22:15   #2

Re: Brewer 44 vs Mason 44

I delivered a Mason 44, or it might have been a 43, up the California Coast. It was the aft cockpit with an aft cabin version. To go from the cockpit to the companionway, you had to step up on to the bridge deck and go forward about 5 feet. There was a small combing , but it was a very insecure feeling. If you are not looking at the aft cabin/aft cockpit version, then this is of no concern. Other than that , I thought the boat was extreamly well built and beautiful. ________Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 22:19   #3

Grant, the model I'm referring to has an offset companionway to starboard, and accessible from the cockpit.
Old 15-09-2013, 22:21   #4

Old 16-09-2013, 08:32   #5

DDabs, yes, that is a very conventional companionway. That is a fine looking boat. Maybe you could show photos of both boats you are looking at? It would be good for the folks that have not seen both types. ___Good Luck with whichever you decide on. ____Grant.
Old 16-09-2013, 09:01   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Hard to compare the two without knowing what the intended purpose is. They're both about the same vintage (eighties boats) but one's a center cockpit and the other an aft cockpit. If you're just doing Bahamas/Caribbean the Brewer would be the better choice. More room, shallower draft, nice swim platform. The Mason might sail a bit better but sailing is not the be all and end all for a cruising boat. Of course, with used boats, especially older ones, condition is a major consideration. Your pic of the Mason looks sweet but I have never liked the offset companionway.
Old 16-09-2013, 19:11   #7

Vasco, rather than stating an exact purpose, I was trying to rather leave it up to a broad range, just to get more opinions from different points of view. However, since you asked, yes the boat will be spending the majority of it's time in the Caribbean/Americas.
Old 17-09-2013, 14:33   #8

Boat: PAE, Mason, 44 - Music

I vote for the Mason, (totally unbiased )! Either boat will make a great ocean vessel. But you will have to learn to love bright work
The Mason in the picture is a 44. The one talked about with the forward and offset companionway is the 43. The 43 has the best aft cabin made in the day and the worst cockpit, the 44 has a lesser aft cabin, but the best secure feeling cockpit.
They made a shallow draft 5'7"; but most you find will have a 6' 5" draft. The hull is rock solid the rest of the boat will depend on what the PO has done to it. The teak decks were screwed, so that may be a problem. If you can find one that has never had teak decks or had them properly rehabbed, you should be good to go.
ardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 14:36   #9

Oh, one other note: people think Masons are only owned by the filthy rich, so they will inflate quote for work by 3X. If you buy one you should be good at doing bristol work, otherwise you will pay out the
Old 17-09-2013, 15:16   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

The Mason has a great classic look with those long overhangs. Unfortunately big overhangs do nothing to improve a boats sailing characteristics. The Brewer has 4 feet more waterline - thats significant.
Old 17-09-2013, 15:19   #11

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Mason is a premium Taiwanese built boat, by the company that builds Nordhaven Trawlers. Two observations about the Mason, one is the engine is in the deep bilge and not the most accessible. The other is that with the full keel and hull shape, they hobby horse in a head sea. I noticed that when watching the mast head light at night making the crossing from Grenada to Trinidad.

I knew someone that had the last Brewer built before the builder went belly up. He mentioned that one of the things that he found impressive was that much of the boat was built, then systems were installed, which made them accessible for repair and maintenance. The engine room is excellent in the Brewer. The Brewer woodwork isn't on the same level as the Mason. Both are very seaworthy, go anywhere, pride in ownership boats.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 15:24   #12

Ardoin, you cleared up that memory lapse for me. It must have been a 43 that I delivered. At that time, I owned and sailed a Peterson 44, and with the small amount of pure sailing that we got on the delivery, I didnt think that the Mason sailed as well as the Peterson. Of course, I am biased. The things that the Mason was head and shoulders above my Peterson were detail to plumbing, wiring, and stainless work. My boat was 12 or 14 years older than the Mason, and I think Taiwan had improved their technical work between the building of my boat and the Mason. It was a very beautiful boat. Maybe someone could post some photos of the Brewer, just for comparison. _____Grant.
Old 18-09-2013, 10:48   #13

Paul L - Good to know about the waterline, and I agree, the Mason has the classic yacht look perfected.

keepondancin - I am aware of the Ta Shing boatyard. I am a huge fan of the Panda/Baba. Interesting about the engine being down deep in the hull. The engine room of the Brewer is really appealing. I have not heard much regarding Ft. Myers Yacht & Shipbuilding, the company that built Brewer 44's, however I like the fact that they were built in my state, it's kind of sentimental.
Old 19-09-2013, 16:06   #14

Yes, the engine is in the bilge and changing the impeller is a pain. But at 18deg of heel, small craft warning mean good sailing for a both boats. The boat yard did an excellent job on the stainless and woodwork. I have never seen stainless as well polished on any other boat. The entire boat is designed for open ocean; there is always a solid hand hold or pad eye nearby.
Lots of folks talk about the hobby horse behavior, but I have found that a bit of change in the angle of attack removes that problem while adding a little more time to the schedule.
I have also been surprised at how well she sails in light air. Yeh, she is not a J-boat, but she does much better than most cruising boats in light air.
Old 19-09-2013, 19:22   #15

I've always enjoyed the looks, feel and sailing fun of the Masons!! Good luck with your choice!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote