Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 21:50   #1

Boat: Ganley Southerner 44
Beneteau Oceanis 44CC

Has anybody had any experience with the Beneteau Oceanis 44 as a ocean cruising yacht? Any personal info on the pros and cons of such a vessel for liveaboard cruising, sea keeping,storage etc.
Like the layout but are unsure about a light weight cruiserwateatrevjan@hotmail.com
watea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The 44cc is not a light weight boat. And if I Remember has a keel stepped mast.

Very strongly built. , mediocre sailers. I delivered one once. Not a bad cruising vessel at all

The generator is placed in front of the engine which is a major PiTA

Some of them had bulkhead steering which I actually prefer

Dave
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34   #3

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 44CC

great boat.............i almost bought a 1995 porject one......I really liked....but the board of directors (wife) did not like the narrow kitchen.......but for me ............wow what a nice boat
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:24   #4

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

I have owned one since 2007. Ok Im a bit biased but its the perfect cruiser for me with good offshore ability weighing in at 13400 kilos. Im not a fan of the narrow galley but thats the only fault I can find. Mine is a cutter rig with fully battened main and runners to 3/4 the rig when the going gets rough. I can handle it very easily on my own eventhough im not a fan of solo sailing. The cockpit protection is fantastic with the large solid windscreen. (one of my favourite features). Any smaller boat will be too light and anything bigger will require crew which are always very willing but may not show when you need them most. The previous owner lived aboard for nearly 4 years and did serious sea miles including some extended solo trips. Im hoping to go long distance as well when I get finished with work. Great boat in my humble opinion.
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I chartered one once from Conch, in the BVI , enjoyed the boat , just the right size for 2 of us.

The forward cabin settee is totally useless, try sitting on it and doing your shoes up , I also hated the saloon seating , I could not get comfortable at all !! when below the only comfy spot was the aft centerline berth, thats all !

Other then that which was a big "that" the boats was fine , sailed very nice , the in mast furling worked well and inspired confidence .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 20:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I chartered one once from Conch, in the BVI , enjoyed the boat , just the right size for 2 of us.

The forward cabin settee is totally useless, try sitting on it and doing your shoes up , I also hated the saloon seating , I could not get comfortable at all !! when below the only comfy spot was the aft centerline berth, thats all !

Other then that which was a big "that" the boats was fine , sailed very nice , the in mast furling worked well and inspired confidence .

Regards
If you chartered with Conch BVI it was probably 42 cc not 44 cc.

Regards

Andy
Andy0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis