Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 20:20   #16

Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dehler or Catalina

Renewed Greetings from Dowununder,

Thank you all for your positive comments, and a particular thanks to Boatman 61 for setting me right about the Wavecruncher 38.

Cheers and best,

Hedley
hrt1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 21:00   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Personally, I thought Boatman would have recommended the Wavecruncher 42.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:44   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44CC
Send a message via Skype™ to seanseamour

With two and some Atlantic crossing (one solo and one with vessel lost in hurricane) and approximately 28K miles under my belt I would not touch a Dehler, reserve Catalina for coastal / light blue water. Beneteau and Jeanneau are very similar besides the latter being owned by B. I have had three B's and have followed their products closely. Unless you want to go for a Wauquiez (also big B) I would go for a Beneteau that I still consider is the best built production boat on the market. BUT I would not but second hand build post 2002. I consider quality has followed the industry trend in which price competitiveness has impacted quality. Boats like Bavaria which is perhaps one of the worst major yards I would not venture into blue water with. Lastly, I would buy one keel laid in or for the North American market - I have commissioned three Beneteau from French and US facilities - suppose it is product liability that makes a difference. Post lastly, an Oceanis is better suited to your sail plan than a First.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt1009 View Post
Greetings from Downunder.

I am looking to buy a monohull between 39 - 44' LOA built since 2000, to sail with crew to Australia from either the East Coast of the USA or, the Mediterranean. Top spend would be $150,000 ready to go.

Passage would be via the Panama timed to avoid the hurricane/cyclone seasons of both hemispheres.

I would greatly appreciate advice from owners or crew of the yachts specified in regard to structural integrity, reliability, and accessibility of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

Please do not derail the thread by suggesting I consider a Wavecruncher 42 or similar. Eventually, I will become a seller and I don't want an "orphan" on my hands. All the brands listed with the exception Dehler, are very well known in Australia and sell readily.

Thank you for reading this far.

Cheers and best,

Hedley
Old 12-02-2013, 04:29   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we can only tell what works for us -- we sail a jeanneau ds40 built in 2000 launched in 2003 and was built before bennie took over and started making changes -- we have circum naved the caribbean and have her set up to go to the med this year, perhaps,
before bennie took over jeanneau a really great bluewater boat that is basically a go anywhere boat - strong hull, stiff, well laid out, easy to single or short hand sail (there are only 2 of us and i sail 1 year single hand) - quality construction through out - she sails well in most wind conditions
our only complaint is the fuel capacity which we fixed by adding a 50 gal tank, and to much storage on the starboard side of the boat -
when we have guests on board we constantly get great comments on the layout and physical appearance - and if there were better sailors on board she would sail a lot better and faster too

just our thoughts and opinions
chuck, patty and svsoulmates
on the hook bequia
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I had a 2003 Jeanneau 43DS that I really liked and that model is quite solid and well-laid out. Then next Jeanneau was a 49DS which is even more solid and faster, but might be out of your budgeted price range. Both would have sold well in Oz.
Old 13-02-2013, 15:47   #21

Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dehler or Catalina

Strewth, crikey and other Downunder expressions of awe.

Seanseamour - your experience trumps any of mine. As always your advice is invaluable and I thank you for it - I will especially avoid the area of your troubles!

Cheers and best,

Hedley
Old 13-02-2013, 16:10   #22
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I own a Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3 form 2006. Excellent engine acess with hatches in the back also. Good sea boat, easy to handle, rides well even in heavy seas. Water tanks at 2 x 140 liters maybe on small size. Ours is the 2 cabin version, lots of storage space.

The sun fast is identical to the Sun Odyssey, but it has a longer (2.1 mters) keel with an extra 400 kgs. down there. Mast is extended 1.5 meters and the rig carries about 150 sq. ft. more sail. Boom is longer also. The Sun Odyssey will have a german mainsail sheeting system. The Sun Fast has the traveler across the cockpit. Dual helms. easy access to the bathing platform.

Electrics fairly simple, easy to access. No storage room under the floorboards. Chart table a bit small. Good galley, good stove.

In the 2 cabin version, lots of storage on the aft side where there is no cabin.

all in all, a good boat. But if you're looking for one ready to go bluewater for under usd 150, you might be pushed. Bluewater would assume, wind vane, water maker, big anchor, radar, spare sails etc etc etc. Unless the boat has been sailed blue water, you will need to figure about usd 40 for the complete refit (maybe more, depending on what you deem necessary)

good luck

The majority of "Blue water" cruising boats do not have watermakers, radars or spare sails {well maybe one} as for putting a wind vane on a Bene well can be done but its a real pain. A few solar panels,good battery bank and a decent anchor is all you need.
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:15   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Personally, I thought Boatman would have recommended the Wavecruncher 42.

Nah. Cored hull.
Old 14-02-2013, 01:37   #24

Hello Frant,

I'm unable to send you a PM as I am a "newbie". Would you please send an email to me at hrtdt at tpg.com.au to which I can reply.

Cheers and best,

Hedley
Old 14-02-2013, 10:39   #25

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
The majority of "Blue water" cruising boats do not have watermakers, radars or spare sails {well maybe one} as for putting a wind vane on a Bene well can be done but its a real pain. A few solar panels,good battery bank and a decent anchor is all you need.
If going trueblue water, meaning extended ocean crossings, a watermaker is advisable. On an RTW, spare sails and a spare rudder are necessities. A wind vane is a real need unless you are packing enormous batteries or unless you are a masochist that truly enjoy hand steering across the pacific

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:34   #26

The end of the story...... My crew member to be decided he could not make the trip after all. As I did not want to single hand the yacht I squibbed it, and bought a Beneteau Oceanis 411 locally.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Tags
beneteau, catalina, jeanneau