Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 07:00   #1

Boat: Baba 35
Baba 35

Hi,

My wife and I are going to do a layman's survey of a Baba 35 in Kemah, Texas today and will likely make an offer at some point if it isn't garbage. I am looking for something to spend my money on.

I have essentially memorized the Marine Survey 101 and will have it on my phone while looking at the boat.

Any suggestions of things specific about a Baba 35 I should be critical about? I already know the teak deck is likely leaking but I am going to do my best to confirm that if possible. My father is a diesel mechanic so I will have him on the phone when I look at the engine but he doesn't know anything specific about marine diesel.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I will without question get an actual survey before I buy!
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 15:46   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Baba 35

Bob Perry describes the Baba (Flying Dutchman) 35 in his book "Yacht Design According to Perry" as seakindly, though initially tender because of the cast iron keel. He doesn't mention other issues, but does say that the Ta Shing builders generally did a good job with the 35.

The cast iron keel may have some rust /wear issues. We had a cast iron keel on our Soling, and it and the keel/hull joint were always needing attention.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:15   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Good luck on a beautiful boat. Although you are doing a self survey to determine if you want to make an offer I strongly suggest you hire a professional to survey if you make and have an offer accepted. A few years ago my wife talked me out of doing my own appendectomy even though I read up on how to do it. I'm glad she did. First, they find things you will never think of. When they find it you will have a basis to discuss a price adjustment with a seller. Finally, an insurance company will generally require it. I have found that the net cost of a surveyor is generally less than zero when all is said and done. You are talking about an old boat, here.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:19   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

A few things not unique to the Baba. When was the standing rigging last replaced? If more than 20 years it's time for new rigging no matter what. Engines are horrendously expensive to replace so have an oil sample analyzed, check the oil, belts, and general condition yourself. How old are the batteries? If flooded and more than 3 years old plan on replacing soon. The problem I have found with boats for sale is that the seller lost interest a while ago and maintenance has suffered. Again, good luck!
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:31   #5

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

I've learned from other owners that earlier models were built somewhat better than later models. Owners have reported that the mooring chocks on later models are prone to leaking and causing rot in the chain locker.

I'm not sure about the '35 but on the '40 some extra attention might be spent on inspecting the mast step. The '35 may be similar. The step is a thick piece of wood, covered in glass, built like a bridge over the keel. The wood is prone to saturation and rot.

Deck prisms are prone to leaking. Not a big deal, but they do.

And of course, the fuel tank. Ask if it's original. Original tanks weren't great and are prone to failure. Most by now have been replaced.

The deck shouldn't actually be a big deal. Baba's decks are mostly glued down, and the screws were really just there to hold the deck in place while the glue set. So... unless the owner kept screwing them down deeper and deeper over the years as the wood thinned, it should be ok.

Good luck, great boat. The previous owners would have had to try really hard to turn her into garbage.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 13:24   #6

Thanks everyone for the responses. They helped quite a bit as we got a really good look at the boat this morning.

It needs a ton of work. There is some rot in the wood in a couple places behind the pain in the kitchen and saloon.

Lifeline stanchions were not installed very well and they are rotting and rusting. Very likely causing the leaks in the boat in several places.

We are looking for a fixer upper so we will see what happens with the price.

Listed at 37500 but I would want to pay much less than that based on actual condition.
Old 01-04-2019, 16:02   #7

Offer accepted.

Anyone recommend a surveyor for this Baba in Kemah, Texas?