Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 12:28   #1

Boat: Moody 34
ASA Sailing Schools in SW Florida

Can anyone recommend an ASA school in SW Florida- I want to take the ASA103 and 104. Thanks-
I took 101 at the Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanshaip in Rock Hall and loved it. I will be down in Florida in the new year and would like to take the next course in different waters.
Any recommendations between Charlotte harbor, gulf coast, paradise....between those main 3 schools?
Thanks-
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 16:24   #2

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36
Re: ASA Sailing Schools in SW Florida

Hi

I guess BWSS are based in SE florida, not SW, nevertheless they are very easy to work with, professional and provide agreat experience as well as prividing certification.

Myself and my wife have done two courses for a week each with BWSS.
First course was last year out of Marsh Harbour, Bahamas covered 101,103, 104 and 114.

2nd course this year out of Ft Lauderdale, to Bahamas and back, covered 105 and 106.

Different skippers both times, but very knowledgable, very patient and gave lots of practice, especially on the 105 coastal navigation we did a lot of practice to reinforce the theory and the exam. i have been sailing along time, and originally did the courses to see the Bhamas and get a cerytification at the same time. However, I also learnt a lot and would thoroughly recommend BWSS.

Although we are based in Montreal, both times times logistics went off with out a hitch
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 16:52   #3

In my opinion, you would do well to consider Lanier Sailing Academy in Pensacola. Certainly could not be considered SW Florida, but if you're interested in learning A LOT in the 103/104 courses, the drive will be worth it.
SlimJim97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 17:00   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420

I did ASA 101 & 103 with Captain Richard Hamm of Sail Marco on Marco Island, FL. Website is:
Sail Marco Sailing Instruction, Private Lessons and Crewed Charters Marco Island Florida
Was very pleased with his training for these 2 classes over 3 days. He has a 26' C&C and a 41' Beneteau that he trains on. I'm sure you would be pleased.

I did ASA 104 with Captain Roger Buenzow of Northstar Sailing in Biloxi, MS over 3 days. Website is:
http://northstarsailingcharters.com/
Again was very pleased with his training. He sails a 31' Catalina.

Richard is more learn to do by doing. Roger is more technical in his approach.

I'm glad that I had training with two different people to get a different perspective on methods, techniques, handling different situations, etc.
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, florida, sailing