Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 21:54   #1
cruiser

Any Good Things About a . . .

I saw a BUCCANEER 30' the other day and it seemed to be in good shape and clean and all that ...

Asking price was $9k, but by the time i left he knocked the price down to $6k...

It had a 24hp volvo with low hours... recent bottom coating...

It was lightly used by him and his family and since they had their 3rd kid last summer, they havent really used her at all...

they maybe having other financial issues as well... and cant afford the regular bills and slip fees and insurance, and all that...

I spoke with the owner today and he said he had given his notice to the marina and indicated if he couldnt sell the boat by the end of the month he would be donating it..

I am guessing i can get the boat for even less then the $6k...

the only problem is that it is in San Diego, NOT FLORIDA...

I was also told the boat sailed like a PIG...

I am not sure i would know what a pig sails like.. I am jsut learning... I am guessing that this boat could last me for several years and that i could sell her for the same price that i paid for her...

Is there any down side to this boat that i dont know..??? does she really sail that bad??? will she be harder to learn on? Will i not really use much of the experience i learn on her and or have to re learn how to sail a 'real' boat???

Really want to live in florida, and sail the Caribbean... I really hate California...I really love to swim in warm water and will never swim in the California pacific waters...

Will i ever be able to sail the PIG to Florida???

I have noticed tha boat prices are going up... I am guessing it is turning into spring/summer and the prices are reflecting the 'demand'.

Should i just forget about getting a boat now and just wait until thanksgiving and start shopping in Florida all over again???

I really hate this process... Cant i find a cheap boat and just move onto her and get on with my life...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 22:33   #2

If you get the right price you can always ship it by truck. it will probably cost 3 or 4 thousand.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 22:40   #3

Boat: seawind II Patience
I have sailed since I was very young & don't know how a pig sails.I bet it isn't good though.Have never owned one but most seem to think they are safe at the dock sometimes and never at sea.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 23:25   #4
cruiser

i guess i should contact someone to find out how much to ship it... the icky brokers i hung out with today told me it would cost at least $8k

but since they kinda showed me thier colors i guess i need to check out everything they say.

I would easily pay $2500-3000 to ship a decent boat at that price...
Old 07-02-2011, 00:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
You could give these guys a call and see:
Boat Transport, Yacht Transport, Sailboat Transport, International Boat Shipping, and Yacht Moving | Able Boat Transport Company

There is also an online trucking site where movers bid on jobs.
Boat Transport & Shipping | Get Quotes for Hauling & Transportation

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:01   #6

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
They are not performance boats that is for sure. However they do have a fair bit of room down below, and as I recall shallow draft. Friend had one said she was definately a down wind boat but he seemed to enjoy it.
Love the boat your with.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

One mans pig is another mans livaboard cruiser... I've yet to see a boat mentioned on here thats not abused in one way or another...
Maybe she won't point as high as other boats, maybe not as fast... but thats not what your looking for... you want comfort and easy cruising grounds... and an easy to manage simple boat...
Know 0 about Buccaneers by the way... arggghhhh... just did a search and its made by Bayliner.....RUNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnn
Just took a look and the layout looks good for what you want... maybe well worth investigating further... topside are clean and simple...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:40   #8

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
.Berg, I have read alot of your posts. You will find fault with evrery cheap boat , but that is OK thats why its cheap. I say the next boat you look at BUY IT. Once you have the boat you can start getting it ready no matter where it is. I think once you have the boat you will see progress and be much more satisfied .
ALL THE BEST TO YOU.
Mark.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Berg.... not a big fan of these myself but the accomodation is great and I reckon she's right up your street....
http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...g_id=14224&url=

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:08   #10

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Boatman, that looks like alot of boat for the money. I like it. every used boat needs somthing. I plan on going down to mine tomorrow cranking the heater all the way up puit my bermuda shorts and flip flops on then try to finish 1 of the 100 projects i have on the go......hmmm maybey plumbing.......... no
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:33   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One mans pig is another mans livaboard cruiser... I've yet to see a boat mentioned on here thats not abused in one way or another...
Maybe she won't point as high as other boats, maybe not as fast... but thats not what your looking for... you want comfort and easy cruising grounds... and an easy to manage simple boat...
Know 0 about Buccaneers by the way... arggghhhh... just did a search and its made by Bayliner.....RUNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnn
Just took a look and the layout looks good for what you want... maybe well worth investigating further... topside are clean and simple...
hmmm, tyring to figure out what youare saying..

run, dont run, buy, dont buy...

hmmm

other then this boat not being in Florida, i would have bought her already...

the coronado looks cool but way underpowered? and santa barbara is kinda strong currents. at least that is what i was told...

and YELLOW uggh.. i guess i would be painting her sooner rather then later... hehehehehe
Old 07-02-2011, 07:58   #12

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Berg, too many details spoil the view of the big picture. I know,been there,am there
Questions to ask yourself:
If I don't like it can I resell it and get something different or has this one got to be just right ? If it can be any boat ,look for it in Florida . If it has to be THE ONE then you can't afford to miss any potential wherever they are. If that Coronado is good for you and the currents too strong in Santa Barbara you could pay someone to sail her into calmer waters down the coast,or persuade the owner as part of the deal, and at the same time learn about your boat .Sounds a great combo to me.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Bayliner? Binliner, more like.

That said, for six grand you can haul out that nice diesel and put it in a 36 footer...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:48   #14

Boat: Watkins 29'
There are lots of low budget boats on the market in Florida. Save the money you would spend to ship a boat from California to Florida and apply it to the future purchase. I think you will find shipping a boat coast to coast will be cost prohibitive for low budget boats.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53   #15

I owned a Buc 27 for 12 years.. They are inland lake/coastal cruisers..

Used as such they work fine. They sail much better than most folks think..

They have a REAL full keel. No cutaway forefoot and tracks better than anything I've ever been on...

Becasue of this keel in very light air (barely moving along ) with just the headsail it was sometimes necessary to jibe instead of tacking. Raise the main and it's much better...

My 27 draft was 26 INCHES....

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote