Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 16:27   #91

Re: Acapulco 40

It's listed on yacht world.
SamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:08   #92

Hi, Folks--

While Janine did not pass the survey with flying colors, we've negotiated a bit, and have just signed the purchase and sales agreement! We should be finalizing the sale within the week, and then scheduling a series of fairly major repairs with the yard before we can launch her. Right now, I don't expect to have her in the water much before July sometime, but that will give us time to finish up the refit of Penelope, our Nicholson 32, which has been getting a new Awlgrip job over the winter. I have to thank Garry for all the help he's given me in understanding this new boat-- he's been a great resource!

Scott
CascoME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 05:33   #93

Boat: Acapulco 40

Good day Gary, I need to address the rudder post stuffing box as it is leaking, any insight on how best to approach this would be appreciated.
cheers Jim
jimlaverdiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:12   #94

Hello fellow Acapulco 40 owners.
I have owned mine for 30 years now. The boat was built in 1972 I believe. I have the full keel version with a tiller. I keep it in SE Connecticut. I have only seen one other in this area but hear of a few up in Maine. Great blue water boat. Original owners ( I am the third) sailed it five years in the Pacific and settled in Houston Texas. Second owner lived aboard as a NASA engineer. He was getting married and wanted to part with it, so I bought it in Texas and brought it up to the Northeast. Have had it ever since.

When I finish with these crippling college payments I hope to make some upgrades and do some cruising.

Good luck to all

Rick Stark
Sapphir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 10:21   #95

I recently purchased an Acapulco 40 “Oriana” from Mr Ed Atkin. The boat is moored in Brooking Harbor, Oregon. Another Acapulco 40 “Wind Chime” is moored there as well!
nosretep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 20:40   #96

Boat: 1979 Acapulco 40

Hi there, I happened across this Acapulco 40 thread, in addition to the one I am subscribed to and thought I would reach out and say hello. I am the fellow that bought Windchime and I will be bringing her south to Ventura, California this October. I found her when I originally went to Brookings to look at Oriana.I have gotten to know these boats fairly well, if you would ever like to chat please feel free to say hello. Cheers,
Scott Goodrich
Glassdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 22:01   #97

Hello Scott & greetings! I would like to meet up with you and chat. My contact info is posted on the starboard side of Oriana. Give me a call and we can pick a time to chat. Cheers Ken
Old 04-12-2019, 22:12   #98

Hello Gary! I purchased Oriana in the fall of 2018. She is fine Vessel and Ed said he has never sailed a vessel as great as the Acapulco 40. I welcome the opportunity to chat with you in the near future. Greeting Ken
Old 07-03-2020, 15:17   #99

Hello Ken,

Congratulations on your purchase of ORIANA. I have been off line for quite a while, in fact I tried to call Ed earlier today. You may find it interesting where the name came from. I had been sailing on San Francisco Bay prior to finishing the boat and I had yet to choose a name for her. This large cruise ship came by (P & O Orient, I believe) and graced across the stern was "ORIANA" and I knew right then that was the name I was looking for. It just seemed to fit. Ed and his lady (the late Bernie Houston) put that lovely vessel through a 20 year "sea trial" if there ever was one! I had not seen the boat for a number of years but I have to believe she has a lot of passages left in her! Over time I had made a few changes in the boat that I felt were needed, and it became a better vessel for having done that. I am not a Naval Architect, only a Mechanical Engineer who was driven to give this lovely design a second chance to fulfill some people's dreams who really wanted an exceptional cruising boat. It is very difficult to build boats the right way today and keep them affordable. I have been out of the yacht business since 1979 and ended up working for Hi-Rise Developers in Honolulu for almost 20 years before retiring.

Best to you!

Garry Powell
ps. You will enjoy reading Ed's book on their 20 year adventure. "One Wave at a Time".
Yachtbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:29   #100

Hi Ken,

Just a line to let you know that Ed Atkin passed away recently in Oregon.

Hope all is well with you and hope you are enjoying ORIANA. If only she could talk!

Take care.

Garry Powell
Yachtbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote