Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2013, 12:46   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: !986 Hunter Legend 45 f/ BLUEWATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinGravity View Post
I am considering a Hunter Legend 45 and would like some feedback -

I had a Chevy once that turned out to be crap, but I don't consider that to mean that all Chevys are crap. Take this into account for the replies so far from anyone who doesn't have direct experience with the boat you are asking about!

I know nothing about a Hunter Legend 45, but I bet if you go to the below you will find people who do:

HunterOwners.com
Old 20-08-2013, 12:53   #17

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Friends of ours had a Hunter Legend, although I believe it was smaller than the 45. They said it was a fine lake boat, (and thoroughly enjoyed it there,but since they were planning on cruising and ocean travel they sold it and bought a 41.5 CC Bristol that they are restoring for they type of travel they plan to do now.
Best advice is to talk to people who have that model...have they used it for the type of travel you plan to do?
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 19:46   #18

Boat: Hunter, 410, 40.8
Thumbs up I love my Hunter

Hi, lurker for a long time, somehow I can't manage to recuperate my old credentials.

I know the boat you're looking at is not that model, but I want to cover some points that are often bashing Hunters (Reliability, Sailing Abilities, B&R RIG, Quality etc)

I love my Hunter. I've read a lot of bad things written about them in forums, and it's rarely about past owners. I know everyone has different opinions, but many opinions are "I heard" and also a few disgruntled ex owners. Like any products in life, the happy ones are usually not on forums complaining.

I've a Hunter 410 2002 with a B&R rig (Yup, no backstay) and a Furling Main. Boat is the deep draft version (6.4). Most models came with the shoal (5). I also have the revised 410 that came with the stainless arch.

People who would not sail 2 miles off the coast:
I crossed the boat from Florida to the coast of Cuba and then across the Yucatan channel all the way to Progreso last year, and so far I've put 1,750 miles on the boat. I've been many times to scorpion reefs, Isla Mujeres and other various places in the gulf. (And also sailed along older Hunters, including a Hunter 30 and a Cherubini 29)

Weak Hull / keels falling:
I've hit my keel on a reef at 4 knots, the boat flexed hard, some floor panels jumped out, and I broke just the point of the bulb. Damage was so minimal that I decided to wait after the last season to haul it out. Yes, I didn't sink. Although, I didn't like the flex in the companion way it seem to be a weak point on the boat or perhaps I'm paranoid since that accident.

Bad Quality:
Like all boats, stuff sometimes break. I love how easy to maintain my stuff. Everything has easy access. The engine is fully accessible with a 360 degrees view my lifting the cover under the companion way stairs, the back by liften the panel in the aft cabin. Huge manual from Hunter with every part listen with a number, up to bolts. Everything is clearly detailed. Hunter also very easy to work with when you need their help. (In my case anyway, never had a problem getting help)

Sailing Characteristics:
I've sailed around 20 regattas so far, and I've placed first 3 times in my category, and just placed 1st in a major one. The boat DOES point well for the huge cockpit, huge cabin and great beam for a 41 footer. And that's with a generator and 2 A/C. It IS slow downwind cause of the rigging. I fixed the problem with a North Sail Gennaker G2 Runner. It's a BLAST to fly and it covered all the weak angles of the boat. Yeah, The spinnaker didn't bring the mast down, in fact, no B&R rig has fallen on a Hunter.

The famous "Arch" or "Roll Cage" that is often critiqued. First, I love the fact that the boom is high and that the traveller is on top of everyone. Behind my traveller I've 2 solar panels and I could fit a third if I had squeezed them together but I was fine with 2. My arch also allowed me to install a KVH Internet Antena. These are no jokes they weight. Also have speaker rack overhead and it makes for an excellent bimini support and other accessories. I also have my snatch blocks from my asym spinnaker lines attached to the arch, makes from a very strong point of attachment.

Would I cross the Atlantic with it? I don't think I would have the balls, but I take it for passages. I personally think it looks sexy, and every time I visit a friend's boat of similar year, I can't believe the space I've. Someone who says he would not leave the coast perhaps have some more serious problems with their sailing abilities than just a brand problem. I can understand if someone has had huge issues with a specific boat, lemons exists, doesn't mean they are all bad.

In other words, if you love the boat, stop listening to horror stories that your keel will fall. There are all over the places in the carribean and in south america and they all sailed on their own bottom to get there.

I know a person who worked for a charter fleet of Hunter I will ask if they had H45's to give you feedback.

First place of our category last race. Last year I also won a first place with a PHRF rating of 111. This year my PHRF went up as all the club I'm in Mexico now got certificates from West Florida Fleet.

No backstay and Spinnaker:

Sorry, wasn't a rent,just that there are people loving their hunters and sailing the hell out of them, like me.

Steve
Hunter 410 2002 - S/V Illusion - Current Location: Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico
Huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 09:41   #19

Boat: Hunter 410

Go the Hunter Owners forum - there are specific pages for this model *actually all models) (HunterOwners.com) complete with pics, owner reviews, and owner mods. Who knows you may find the exact boat you are looking at??

I too have an H410 like the previous poster. I can't imagine getting more of everything I want without going way bigger. The boat sails well, the gear has proven appropriate and reliable. I have few issues and none are related to Hunter Marine or their products.

I agree. Hunter owners are generally happy with heir boats - just peruse the HunterOwners web site. BTW, there are many threads on the subject of whether Hunters are "good" boats or not on the site if you use the search feature
capnbillchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 11:46   #20
cruiser

Since you plan to cross the Atlantic at some point in the future, I think the best source to find out what other sailors are using to do the same would be the current participation list for the ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruisers),

World Cruising Club - ARC Entries

Only one Hunter on the list of over 200 entrants.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 12:17   #21

Boat: Hunter 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Since you plan to cross the Atlantic at some point in the future, I think the best source to find out what other sailors are using to do the same would be the current participation list for the ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruisers),

World Cruising Club - ARC Entries

Only one Hunter on the list of over 200 entrants.
great list. Thanks for that.
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 23:47   #22

I bought this boat for just over 70K. It sails over 8knots everywhere... Mostly Long Beach to Catalina so far. And fastest was 8.7 in about 19knots broad reach. Everything seems solid. A few minor repairs to this old thing - including rebuilding the rudder and autopilot bracket that must have been damaged from a prior grounding(the bracket had a bad fiberglass repair job that was resin dry and delaminated) the rudder was full of water and had a bad repair on the bottom, and was cut off - I dried it out and added 8" to the bottom and about 3.5 inches to the leading edge to get more balance and reduce weather helm = perfect now! I'm single handed sailing -the puppy doesn't do much except bark at the seals, and it's totally awesome in 15-20 knots! I'm continually getting everything shipshape, who doesn't on an older boat, to sail it to Hawaii or Mexico. I got the water maker going and all the seals and head valves replaced(like the joker valves on both heads - took apart the hose to the air vent on the aft head that was plugged up - and re-drilled the brass fitting(hole) going into the plastic holding tank a couple sizes bigger to allow better airflow when draining and rinsing the tank with fresh water. BTW since I use the heads all the time there is no bad smell from the salt water system).
The owner had all the original tan cushions so I took out the car seats and now it looks like a boat again! After tightening a few loose hose clamps on the water maker and head hoses, the bilge is totally dry and there is no musky odors from anything. I love this older boat and it's getting better and better!
LongBeachSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:30   #23

Boat: Hunter 45 Legend

don't know if you bought the boat or if you are considering another one. I own a 1989 and I owned a 1987 7 years ago. I love my boat and have been up and down the B.C. coast several times. Any questions?
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
don't know if you bought the boat or if you are considering another one. I own a 1989 and I owned a 1987 7 years ago. I love my boat and have been up and down the B.C. coast several times. Any questions?
Yes I bought this boat. :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:07   #25
cruiser

The original question referenced "crossing the Atlantic" which is a lot different than sailing from Long Beach, CA to Catalina and back or sailing along the B.C. coastline on a nice day. The OP is looking for a boat able to safely sail west to east across the Atlantic.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21   #26

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

I see somebody other than the OP ended up with this boat. Congrats!!

My wife and I sailed a '88 Legend 40 with another couple (the other couple owned the boat - we went along as advisors and crew) on a passage from the Caymans to Panama, thru the canal and to Hawaii. That was in 2003. We found very little that we could fault on the Legend 40 and I'd sail one anywhere on earth without even thinking twice about it.

No experience personally with the 45, but I doubt it's much different than earlier 40 that we sailed.

We've seen Hunter Legend series boats all over the world, including in New Zealand and sailing the Southern Ocean. Every one of them was sailed to where they are. I really have never talked to any Hunter owners that have any more serious gripes with their yacht than anybody else with different makes. It seems the primary group that has problems with them is on internet forums, and most of those have never owned one or sailed one.
Sjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 00:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjora View Post
I see somebody other than the OP ended up with this boat. Congrats!!

My wife and I sailed a '88 Legend 40 with another couple (the other couple owned the boat - we went along as advisors and crew) on a passage from the Caymans to Panama, thru the canal and to Hawaii. That was in 2003. We found very little that we could fault on the Legend 40 and I'd sail one anywhere on earth without even thinking twice about it.

No experience personally with the 45, but I doubt it's much different than earlier 40 that we sailed.

We've seen Hunter Legend series boats all over the world, including in New Zealand and sailing the Southern Ocean. Every one of them was sailed to where they are. I really have never talked to any Hunter owners that have any more serious gripes with their yacht than anybody else with different makes. It seems the primary group that has problems with them is on internet forums, and most of those have never owned one or sailed one.
Probably best to get the biggest and most expensive boat you can afford to do world cruising! I love this boat! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130923_091459.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	72287  
Old 17-12-2013, 17:25   #28

Boat: Tayana 52

We bought a 1990 Hunter legend 43, roughly the same size as the boat you're looking at but the next evolution. One advantage of the 43 is the traveller is on the cabin top allowing a full enclosure at all times.
For a similar amount of money I would go with the Legend 43 - the same hull as the Passage 42 of the same era. This boat has been sailed all over the world and we did FL to Oz with no issues, and a best days run of 196nm. (Safe and fast?)
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 17:28   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: !986 Hunter Legend 45 f/ BLUEWATER

Yup... one of those can cross the Atlantic no problem.. only difficulty is if you have $3million of cocaine on board and the Portuguese catch ya...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 02:18   #30

I would like to sail to Hawaii. When is the best time of year to go?
I haven't checked out anything yet. :-)

Tags
hunter, water