Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09   #1

1990's boat and refit or 2000's Charter boat

I saw a thread taking about project boats that take you somewhat unawares. So for a new cruiser first time boat buyer what do you guys recommend?

Late 80's early 90's 35 - 40 boat or a mid 2000's 37 foot Ex-charter?

From what I keep reading on this and other sites the older boat may need several months worth of refit, rigging, sails and etc... If you bought a much younger ex-charter with a good survey, shouldn't you be able to cast off much faster and easier than refitting the older boat?

If you bought tex-charter 37 foot Bene for $75k and then sailed it for a while and added the luxuary items as you went, it sure sounds easier than buying a 1991 Catalina 36 and then had to refit many things right off the bat.

If you were looking for your first boat, which option would you look at.. Surveys and inspections are a given that both boats passed.
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: 1990's boat and refit or 2000's Charter boat

The charter probably has had more use, more hours on the engine etc. Layout will likely be different. Depends on whether the electronics, canvas, sails are original on each as well as overall condition, which is more suited for your kind of sailing. Would you buy a 3 year old car from Hertz, or an 8 year old car from a private seller?
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 17:06   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at non-chartered boats, searching for the "jewel" in my price range that is congruent with my prejudices about boats. If you haven't done it yet, make yourself a list of your "must haves" and "won't accepts". It will help clarify your thinking and if you go via a broker at some point, you can use it to let him or her know what you want and what you won't waste your time on. As all factory built boats have their devotees and detractors, you may not be able to use CF to build your ideas; it is really yourself whom you must please.

Ann
Old 23-05-2013, 05:01   #4

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

I think it all depends on how you define cruising?.. If your individual needs would be met by a mass production boat that was in a charter fleet and so your choice is newer/chartered vs older/private..then make a list of your priorities in terms of features/electronics/rigging/creature comforts and go with it.

Just dont assume that you wont have to refit a 5yo ex-charter boat. Electronics, sails, engines, running rigging, heads, holding tanks, canvas etc etc.. this is why they appear to be a good deal.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, refit