Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 22:27   #16

Re: 1984 Nordic 44 - Thoughts?

Its been an uphill battle convincing my family why we need to get rid of our current boat and why we don't need another production boat like a Beneteau or a Jeanneau with those large comfy aft cabins... getting everyone to this point and having them help in the choice of an HR or a Nordic is an accomplishment regardless of which boat I choose at this point!
darkaegisagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:48   #17

" the newer boats all seem to be much beamier. This gives you more room and in some cases a huge stateroom aft but causes the boat to have less ideal sailing characteristics especially in ocean waves."
Really? :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 22:31   #18

I'm looking to upgrade from my C&C 35 III to a Nordic 44somehow 25 gallons of water doesn't cut it on a longer trip. Anyone know of any listings? I only see one out in the northwest US.
tigerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 05:42   #19

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
" the newer boats all seem to be much beamier. This gives you more room and in some cases a huge stateroom aft but causes the boat to have less ideal sailing characteristics especially in ocean waves."
Really? :>)
Yes, really.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 06:54   #20

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpilot View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from my C&C 35 III to a Nordic 44somehow 25 gallons of water doesn't cut it on a longer trip. Anyone know of any listings? I only see one out in the northwest US.
That's all on Yachtworld right now, not sure what happened to the ones that were available a couple of years ago by CF members. So unfortunately I can't help you find a boat today but just want to encourage you to be patient if your time frame allows because they are a great boat and I think are a real bargain at anything under about $175K, depending on equipment and condition. It's a very well thought out and well built 44' sailboat, big enough and seaworthy enough for a couple to take anywhere. All lines led back to cockpit so easy to singlehand. Hull shape and rig designed to be fun to sail in medium to light breezes but rugged enough and stable enough to feel secure in an offshore gale. I owned/sailed/maintained one for 11 years and would have one now except with 3 teens kids we wanted something a little bigger... so based on our Nordic44 experience we turned to another Perry design. Good luck with your search, you won't regret it if you can make one yours.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 00:50   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpilot View Post
TP,
There was a log jam of them after 2008 and prices sagged until they were all snatched this summer. We got ours nearly two years ago. After a four month refit in which we were the first retro transom mod by Norstar, Odyssey has nearly 5,000 nm in two seasons in Alaska. Amazingly powerful sail plan really increases your range. They are +30 year old boats, so look closely at auxiliaries, and tankage issues.

Steve at Norstar knows the whereabouts of most of them are located and keeps tabs on which ones will be coming on the market. With the shoal keel (6' draught) they do go nicely onto a trailer, so don't be leery of the west coast ones.

Good Luck with your search,
John
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nordic