Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 09:49   #1

1983 Freedom 32 info

Looking at possibly purchasing a 1983 Freedom 32, but I have some concerns about the mast. I have read that there were issues with cracking in these masts and I am not sure if what I see in the mast I am looking at is normal or something that needs to be addressed. Does anyone on here have any insight on the attached photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_174709.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	200358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_174716.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	200359  

Name:	IMG_20190921_174700.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	200360  
BurleyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 09:56   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: 1983 Freedom 32 info

I cruised a Freedom 32 for 6-7 years fulltime, approx 30,000nm.

No guarantees but I think you will find that the cracks are superficial, gelcoat cracking, not structural. In reality theres been very few problems with these masts.

Google Eric Spondberg, If I remember rightly he wrote an article about this.

Also the freedom yacht forum is very informative, anything and everything you need to know you will find there, also it's a forum of gentlemen (and ladies of course), very helpful.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 12:16   #3

Thanks very much for the info. My other concern is that the collar for the mast is cracked. I didn't get a photo of this, but I would think it needs to be repaired or replaced. Is that something that is hard to find?
Also the current owner mentioned that they have not removed the mast since they purchased the boat as it is stuck? Any ideas why this might be?
BurleyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 12:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurleyJ View Post
Thanks very much for the info. My other concern is that the collar for the mast is cracked. I didn't get a photo of this, but I would think it needs to be repaired or replaced. Is that something that is hard to find?
Also the current owner mentioned that they have not removed the mast since they purchased the boat as it is stuck? Any ideas why this might be?
I cant imagine why its stuck?

You want to check the mast step, they can move around. Generally the mast on the 32 just sits on the top hat type step, by memory. It's not held by any mechanical fasteners, maybe just a little stainless L bracket.

The masts can twist abit, maybe someone's done someone the past that is stopped that and its jammed a little?

Maybe the wedges where the mast goes through the deck are somehow jammed?

Head to the freedom forum.
Old 22-09-2019, 15:14   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

These issues have been addressed on the Freedom Yacht Forum. I recommend you request permission for access so you can post questions, but you could also just search on mast repair and removing mast. There is a collar through the deck that needs to be unbolted and then pried loose. Then the mast wedge inside also pried up although the wedge on mine came out when the mast was lifted. There's no telling what an owner might have poured down there to keep water out.... The mast itself is beyond my expertise. Those striations are different than the small cracks in gel coat that happen. This is addressed on the forum. You might also post whether anyone has suggestions on cost of repairs, if you should go that route for negotiating purchase price. There's a mast like this at Berkeley Marine Center that is currently being similarly repaired.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 11:37   #6

Boat: Freedom 32'

This is my 1985 Freedom32. Never a problem with movement or with the lines which the camera picks up, but can barely be seen with a naked eye.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2221.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	200426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2224.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	200427  

Name:	IMG_2225.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	200428  
Old 23-09-2019, 11:55   #7

Boat: Freedom 32

I have had my F32 since 2014. As it was the only boat I was interested in owning I looked at quite a few, before buying. I would worry more about water intrusion than the mast. The F32 has a penchant for water in the aft quarter on the port side. That's where the port is. Have a good surveyor look for moisture in the deck as well. The mast step should be dry with no evidence of water in the wood. The mast collar at the deck is your first and last line of defense of water intrusion below deck. Be sure to get on Freedomyachts.org for tons of info.
Old 23-09-2019, 12:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
I have had my F32 since 2014. As it was the only boat I was interested in owning I looked at quite a few, before buying. I would worry more about water intrusion than the mast. The F32 has a penchant for water in the aft quarter on the port side. That's where the port is. Have a good surveyor look for moisture in the deck as well. The mast step should be dry with no evidence of water in the wood. The mast collar at the deck is your first and last line of defense of water intrusion below deck. Be sure to get on Freedomyachts.org for tons of info.
Agreed, mine had water damage (rot)in the bulkhead behind the mast . And the balsa was wet below port quarter port hole. I just let it dry out , dug approx an inch out and filled with a epoxy paste, thus stopping any further water intrusion.

Appropriate measures weren't taken at factory regarding deck fitting either, although I didnt find that water had run far.