Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2023, 08:34   #1

Boat: 1985 Ericsson 30+
Seeking crew for Baja cruise, San Carlos - La Paz - PV - Zijuat

Seeking crew for a fun adventure through the Sea of Cortez and points south. The boat is a shoal draft 1985 Ericson 30+, recently refit, well found, comfortable and safe. This will be our 4th cruise on SV Hellebore in the last three years. She's set up for singlehanding and I've cruised her alone and with crew fairly extensively from SF Bay down the baja and up into the sea, this year I want to make more southing to explore Pacific mainland Mexico and spend some time in Bandaras Bay around La Cruz and Punta de Mita try to learn to surf before heading further down. I will plan to head north to return the boat to San Carlos or perhaps La Paz when the winds provide southerlies around April/May.
The basic itinerary starts like this:
Jan 10-15 drive SF Bay to San Carlos, Sonora
Jan 15-21 prep, provision, and splash boat
end of Jan cruise across the sea and anchorage hop over 3 weeks to La Paz
Feb Cruising La Paz and nearby islands, southbound to San Jose del Cabo
Crossing to mainland with stop at Isla Isabelita to Bandaras bay/ Punta de Mita
After that its pointless to make any attempt at putting dates.

Crew can join the boat before the cruise and drive down with me, join at san carlos, la paz, san jose, or puerto vallarta... I'm envisioning multiple crew on and off the boat at various points but if it's really working out and we are having a blast, crew is welcome to stay on as long as its fun.

No experience necessary - novice sailors are welcome. I have taught several people to sail on Hellebore and I loved doing it. She sails awesome in everything from light to heavy air on all points, reefs easy, is well equipped, safe, and comfortable. Her shoal draft lets us anchor in close inside when an anchorage is crowded, but I prefer to find less popular spots to explore.
I have recently set up an account at Crewbay under the user name "Salty Walt" and on Findacrew boat profile #418133, you can see pictures of me, the boat, and read alot of details including cruising plans and boat equipment and lots more. (This is NOT an advertisement for those sites!) I'm basically looking for people with an outgoing personality, clear and excellent communication skills, a sense of adventure, general competency in all things, folks who are organized and hard working. If you are a backpacker/camper, surfer, diver, artist, musician, cook, forager, fisherman, or general outdoor enthusiast you will might be a good fit. Let's facetime or zoom or whatever and see if things line up.
Read a lot more about me, the boat, and the planned cruise on the above mentioned websites. BTW I am in no way trying to get you to sign up for those sites, just PM me here if you think you might be a good fit and include as much detail as you can.

Hope this post finds the right people!
Cheers,
Walt
kaliphornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 09:08   #2

Re: Seeking crew for Baja cruise, San Carlos - La Paz - PV - Zijuat

looks interesting! i am a scuba diver/skin diver. i have spent about 2 years in the SoC prior. currently in San Miguel de Allende. Whatsapp 415 170 6255
kurtis king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 00:34   #3

Boat: Hobie 16

Hello,
I'm interested in La Paz since I was there about 24 years ago so I'm up for territory approaching there and Beyond. I'm also good at trailering boats and splashing them. What's going on with that? Are you driving from San Francisco to Sonora?
Andrew Hungerford
Hobieandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 19:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliphornia View Post
Seeking crew for a fun adventure through the Sea of Cortez and points south. The boat is a shoal draft 1985 Ericson 30+, recently refit, well found, comfortable and safe. This will be our 4th cruise on SV Hellebore in the last three years. She's set up for singlehanding and I've cruised her alone and with crew fairly extensively from SF Bay down the baja and up into the sea, this year I want to make more southing to explore Pacific mainland Mexico and spend some time in Bandaras Bay around La Cruz and Punta de Mita try to learn to surf before heading further down. I will plan to head north to return the boat to San Carlos or perhaps La Paz when the winds provide southerlies around April/May.
The basic itinerary starts like this:
Jan 10-15 drive SF Bay to San Carlos, Sonora
Jan 15-21 prep, provision, and splash boat
end of Jan cruise across the sea and anchorage hop over 3 weeks to La Paz
Feb Cruising La Paz and nearby islands, southbound to San Jose del Cabo
Crossing to mainland with stop at Isla Isabelita to Bandaras bay/ Punta de Mita
After that its pointless to make any attempt at putting dates.

Crew can join the boat before the cruise and drive down with me, join at san carlos, la paz, san jose, or puerto vallarta... I'm envisioning multiple crew on and off the boat at various points but if it's really working out and we are having a blast, crew is welcome to stay on as long as its fun.

No experience necessary - novice sailors are welcome. I have taught several people to sail on Hellebore and I loved doing it. She sails awesome in everything from light to heavy air on all points, reefs easy, is well equipped, safe, and comfortable. Her shoal draft lets us anchor in close inside when an anchorage is crowded, but I prefer to find less popular spots to explore.
I have recently set up an account at Crewbay under the user name "Salty Walt" and on Findacrew boat profile #418133, you can see pictures of me, the boat, and read alot of details including cruising plans and boat equipment and lots more. (This is NOT an advertisement for those sites!) I'm basically looking for people with an outgoing personality, clear and excellent communication skills, a sense of adventure, general competency in all things, folks who are organized and hard working. If you are a backpacker/camper, surfer, diver, artist, musician, cook, forager, fisherman, or general outdoor enthusiast you will might be a good fit. Let's facetime or zoom or whatever and see if things line up.
Read a lot more about me, the boat, and the planned cruise on the above mentioned websites. BTW I am in no way trying to get you to sign up for those sites, just PM me here if you think you might be a good fit and include as much detail as you can.

Hope this post finds the right people!
Cheers,
Walt
Retired CHP Officer (30) years. 66 and physically fit. Live in Southern Ca and always wanted to crew a sailing boat. Novice but an avid surfer and musician. I can follow rules and be a team player!

Ron
Kiyele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 11:04   #5

Boat: 1985 Ericsson 30+

Hey, Thanks everyone who responded! I have my crew sorted out for the sea of cortez until mainland mexico in march. there may be other positions available for southbound from banderas bay to ziuatenejo, and then back north again i'll definitely be seeking crew in april, so stay tuned and respond via private messages to me if you are interested in later dates from march into april/may.
thanks!
walt
kaliphornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 11:55   #6

walt.
a bit more info, i spent 2 years in Sea of Cortez. i lived aboard my own 30 Rawson sloop. i worked in the main galley on a cruise ship for a year. 2018 i rented a bare boat charter in Amalfi coast. i favor fishing. divemaster and dive medic for ocean rescue in Monterey bay for fire department.
kurtis king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 18:16   #7

Walt. I am in La Paz and looking for crew opportunities. Are you still
Looking for someone? LMK
JaysonRingel
JaysonRingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2024, 18:48   #8

Hi Walt,

I'm located in San Diego and have been a charter captain down there. I'm always interested in learing more. Love to work, i'm very organized. Open water diver, sailor, fishing, cooking, and guitar enthusiast. I will be doing a charter in La Paz starting 5/20/24.

My Finda Crew profile # is 412433. If interested you can find more info about me on there.

Perhaps I can help you in the future or see you out there.

Cheers
MikeChopp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, crew, cruise, la paz, san carlos