Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2021, 03:46   #16

Re: Ready now, are you and your boat?

Yes, forgot to mention cooking skills. Four years working at Italian restaurant(I waited tables and tended bar, but you learn lots about food from the chefs) while in school(Athens, Ohio). And to those who understand and appreciate my honest answers and opinions; don't worry, I can take criticism as well as dish it out when it seems warranted. This site has valuable power and sail craft, etc. information, whether just in comment from knowledgeable members or in archives for the researcher, and I am grateful to be a member.
MarathonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 05:36   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

Sailing is my escape. It's my refuge from the real world. I sail to get away from CNN and Fox News and all the hateful intolerance that constantly flows from both sides of the aisle nowadays.

God forbid I should ever find myself trapped on a boat with anyone who feels compelled to pontificate about how their opinions (red or blue) are the only truth.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 06:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh guys, seems to me that when one has strong feelings on certain subjects (like, say, politics!) it is good to get them out in view when soliciting a crew position. Just because you don't agree with his POV is no reason to criticize his crew available post. don't agree? Don't invite him to crew, but don't badmouth him here on CF for being upfront about himself.

And knock off the personal slurs or us mods will have to intervene.

Jim

BRAVO JIM!!!!!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:20   #19

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leont View Post
The OP introduced bigotry, so he is a fair game.
For bigots to respond? I respectfully disagree. if I were looking for crew, I would not want to be on a boat with a Fox/Trumpster type and, I assure you, they would not want to be on my boat. In this time when we have folks who think that a violent attempt to over the outcome of an election is just fine, seems like it is matter of importance, if not safety, to specify it just as you might about smoking, drugs, alcohol and other behaviors that might get out of hand on a boat offshore. These are not normal times in the political US and it makes sense to take precautions for harmony in crew situations.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:46   #20

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

All,
On my boat I want just a few things from crew or guest:
- Paying attention to what is happening around them
- willing to respect the Capt's orders
- Not trying to sell me some form of BS or penny stocks (No Gritters or politicians )

- Enjoying life
-Treating everybody with respect - we all come from the same place and are all different in so many ways - accept the diff and enjoy it.
-Trusting in facts and engineering 2+2=4, 20kts means reef the sails regardless in what some talking head tells you to believe.

Oh best of all being curious to see and learn from the world!

Dan
SV Full Sail
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:57   #21

Quote:
Sheesh guys, seems to me that when one has strong feelings on certain subjects (like, say, politics!) it is good to get them out in view when soliciting a crew position. Just because you don't agree with his POV is no reason to criticize his crew available post. don't agree? Don't invite him to crew, but don't badmouth him here on CF for being upfront about himself.

Jim
Jim, do you mean “personal slurs” like this??

“If American and voted for 45 in 2020, forget me. I despise racists, xenophobes, misogynists or proven con men and liars of any strata, and do not tolerate those who support them.”

I expect that many voting for 45 might consider being called racist, xenophobic, misogynists, con men and liars would consider those as personal slurs. Did OP consider some may have disagreed with the opposition who was running?

If in fact you don’t think those words OP used are “personal slurs” than as a Mod here, I would expect that using those words to describe any member here would be within guidelines which is good to know.

OP would have had every opportunity to express their views during an interview process, but felt compelled to make a political statement here. That is also, evidently, fair game now too. Good to know for, future reference.
keithhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:58   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ready now, are you and your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
For bigots to respond? I respectfully disagree. if I were looking for crew, I would not want to be on a boat with a Fox/Trumpster type and, I assure you, they would not want to be on my boat.
Nor a Biden Bot come to that.. leave your politics ashore
In this time when we have folks who think that a violent attempt to over the outcome of an election is just fine, seems like it is matter of importance, if not safety, to specify it just as you might about smoking, drugs, alcohol and other behaviors that might get out of hand on a boat offshore. These are not normal times in the political US and it makes sense to take precautions for harmony in crew situations.
There will always be those who try to provoke..
Personally I don't give a toss which sold out Screw you Jack I'm Fireproof Left, Right or Centre politicians ass you have your nose stuck up... I'm there to deliver your boat not to validate your prejudices or bigotry.
Start that crap and you'll find yourself looking for a new skipper because I'll just sail you to the nearest port and walk... as an Israeli found out.
Simple as..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Mandela.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:12   #23

Boat: 43 Mikelson

As bad or divisive as we see politics today, if you read the book “Hamilton” by Ron Chenow, you will find the same political split and animosity existed as our Country was founded between the newly formed two parties prior to , and during our Constitution being ratified.
Major difference was they settled some with dueling.

Happy New Year
Painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:23   #24

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Quote:

Jim
I agree with Jim's comments. Jim Marathon is simply making it clear where he stands. Get to the point. Do you need capable crew or not?
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:28   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's amazing that we are now at a stage where saying 'I despise racists, xenophobes, misogynists' is somehow controversial and gets people upset.
Old 31-12-2021, 09:34   #26

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

I agree, Alcatel. Why are people so filled with anger these days? Maybe because they are being pushed into a box and muzzled by current world situation. Perhaps Jim Marathon could have worded his thoughts a little differently. Using the word "despise" is in itself angry. Also, one can tell in conversations with people whether they have world, religious, medical or political views that you are not comfortable with. In any case, his seems to be a genuine offer and he seems capable. Perhaps he could re-post and reword to remove the inflammatory bit.
Enjoy your day sailing, everyone! You are lucky if you are in a warm place. We have a foot of snow on our apartment deck right now and a work light shining on the hummingbird feeder to keep the hummingbirds warm!
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:45   #27

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhe View Post
Jim, do you mean “personal slurs” like this??

“I expect that many voting for 45 might consider being called racist, xenophobic, misogynists, con men and liars would consider those as personal slurs.”
Read what the OP actually said, he was describing Trump, not those who voted for Trump. He expressed intolerance towards those who voted for Trump, he did not ascribe the attributes of Trump to those who voted for Trump.

Yes, he could have waited until an interview before sharing those views, but I think better not to waste time with that process given his strong feelings on the subject.

Appreciate the mods for reigning in this thread.

Cheers!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:45   #28

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

the OP
posted a request for crew with his personal criteria.
There was only one possible answer to his request, and that was from a perspective applicant.
Certainly, those who did not meet his expectations did not need to reply.
Simple as that.

All other posters are just noise, looking for a fight, trolls and others, even someone expressed the OP been "fair game", no, he is NOT and no one posting a request should think twice because will be deemed "fair game"
In fact, NO ONE posting in this forum in any thread should be FAIR GAME.

There are guidelines on how to post an add, if meets the guidelines that is the end of it.
Reminds me of years ago, posting for a female crew brought in the Moral Squad, and some posters were suspect of been sexual deviants, predators, etc.

I remember well.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 09:48   #29

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
It's amazing that we are now at a stage where saying 'I despise racists, xenophobes, misogynists' is somehow controversial and gets people upset.
I think the problem was he called a huge group of people those things based on who they voted for. Not that he feels "woke" and apparently angry.
Otherwise it is good to know he would be constantly going on about politics for those that want to get away from CNN and FOX. As it is good to know he can't lift 40 lbs of water.
Old 31-12-2021, 10:21   #30

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
I think the problem was he called a huge group of people those things based on who they voted for…
Actually, he did no such thing.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat