Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 18:19   #1

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5
Getting Started

Hello All,

My sailing experience is limited to dinghies on lakes/bays and some regatta crewing with no real training. As a younger man I also spent several winters commercial fishing in the Bering Sea on large trawlers, adventures I enjoyed and sea sickness was never an issue.

My question to the community is this: Of all the sail training programs available are there any particular ones a cruising skipper would prefer their potential crew member had studied under? Is the RYC program better suited to offshore cruising than the ASA?

My immediate goal is to complete ASA 101 through 104 and look for a berth on a sailboat making some passages to log miles and put theory to its application.

I am a healthy and fit mature 65 yo male, able to pay my own way, mechanical, journeyman fabrication skills, a good cook and reliable.

Your input will be appreciated. Thanks.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:01   #2

Re: Getting Started

I would prefer someone who had done the RYA (it's RYA, stands for Royal Yachting Association) which is international - as opposed to ASA which is US.

But then, I AM biased - as I only ever did one ASA course - oh, basically 100 years ago (the 1980's) and all of my training after that was RYA - so you can see where my bias originates.

I understand that the ASA certs have improved immensely since the 80's, but then, I've only heard that from Americans - which is a bit of a confirmation bias in itself.

Have I confused you enough yet?

At the very least you're on the right track, getting some training, no matter what the school.

Or - you might execute part of your ASA plan and then hop. Here's a recent Crew Wanted thread that might be a good fit for you: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-242841.html

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:20   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

RYA Yachtmaster is the gold standard
Old 05-12-2020, 12:36   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I did RYA dayskipper with ICC certification. It was amazing! Most of the education was online through Nauticed.org, with an onboard 3 day practicum after all of my coursework was completed. I truly thought I knew how to sail prior to doing this coursework. This expanded my knowledge and capabilities beyond anything I could have thought. I have my eye on the Yacht-Master certificate.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I truly thought I knew how to sail prior to doing this coursework. This expanded my knowledge and capabilities beyond anything I could have thought. I have my eye on the Yachtmaster certificate.
It's totally worth it.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 14:10   #6

Hello Again,

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I responded to a couple of messages but not sure they went through- new to the site as active member and it seems a little clunky but I'll shake it out eventually.

The RYA course seems to be the preferred standard and I will look into it further down the line but my guess is getting some basics down via ASA might be a quicker route to get me up to speed and of relative value on a passage or three. ASA 101-104 should get me oriented and then Coastal/Passage Making/ more advanced Navigation course work through RYA should fill out the resume more properly. The 5-6 day live aboard ASA courses I've looked into are all booked out until Spring which suits my general schedule of lashing off the remaining lines for retirement and what lies ahead.
Old 06-12-2020, 14:46   #7

Yojimbo,

Before you commit to ASA 101-104, take a look at NauticEd.org web site. There are many courses to choose from. The RYA is much more comprehensive and smoother than the ASA courses. I looked into both, and I picked RYA. The added benefit of doing RYA dayskipper is that you get your ICC as well, which I needed (had a Croatia charter planned, but postponed due to COVID-19). To charter in the Med, Adriatic or French polynesia, you need an ICC.

I have nothing to disclose regarding any involvement with NauticEd other than being a very satisfied student.

Best wishes for your journey!!!

Ben
Old 07-12-2020, 10:14   #8

Ben-

Good insight on the ICC requirement- didn't know that. I will be checking out the RYA program after learning this. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:17   #9

Yojimbo,

Have fun with your learning!!!!

Ben
Old 10-12-2020, 18:02   #10

Boat: Ranger 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
RYA Yachtmaster is the gold standard
I heard it from a time-served senior trainer that RYA provides a subset of what ASA provides in the syllabi for each level which basically overlap plus or minus little bits. I have not investigated further.

I only did ASA101,103,104,105 and docking appendix 117. Ive not done RYA.

I think it will mostly depend on the training quality and standards and the school delivery/execution.

In conclusion, whatever you stream you choose to certify through, the certification does not replace experience. Certification is only certification, to prove you know something, it may help in a blow, but experience is much more important.
suederat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:45   #11
TKB

I’m looking for someone to assist getting my 35 Ericson down to Florida from Hatteras NC
Text or WhatsApp 242-727-6561 if interested
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 05:18   #12

I'm sailing from Stuart Florida to Puerto Rico around March 7 via Bahamas route. I have a fully equipped, and refurbished 31ft Sloop. I'm looking for a 3rd crew member. The passage would take approximately 3 weeks. I would pay for your plane ticket back to the U.S. mainland, and provide food and provisions. Would you be interested? Cheers, Jim Cell: 786-212-5010
PanamaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 07:07   #13

Panama Jim-

PM sent.
Old 16-02-2021, 13:16   #14

PM ? Is that a text message?
I haven't recieved it if so.
PanamaJim is offline   Reply With Quote