Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 02:37   #1

Boat: Westerly 43
Selling Australian Yacht in New Caledonia

I belong to a sailing club and we will soon be advertising our Fontaine Pajot Lavezzi catamaran for private sale. The boat is in New Caledonia for the next couple of months and we want to try to sell her while we are still over there. If we don't sell her, we will bring her back to Australia and put her into the hands of a broker. She is Australian registered and fully imported into Australia and will most likely appeal to Australian buyers as no taxes will be payable.

Does anyone have any experience buying/selling boats in New Caledonia as a foreigner? How difficult would it be dealing with French/New Cal bureaucracy and paperwork. Should we engage a local solicitor/notary or would we be better off not trying to do this privately and going through a broker either local or Australia-based. Is there any way for the sale to take place under Australian jurisdiction (between an Australian buyer and Australian seller) if the yacht is still physically located in New Caledonia?

I speak/read French fairly fluently.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 14:52   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Selling Australian Yacht in New Caledonia

First thing to find out is whether you'll have to import it into NC to sell it there. I suspect it will be easier to sell back in Australia, and a huge amount of paper work to do it in NC. It can be done, though, had some friends who sold a boat there, both in the couple were bilingual. It is the nuances of the formalities that are difficult for me.

Ann
Old 01-06-2018, 14:59   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Much will depend upon whether you sell to a New Caledonian or to a non-resident. I believe that selling "offshore" will remove the importation requirement.

But obviously, you need to contact the customs folks in NC for factual info, much more reliable than internet pundits!

Jim
Old 01-06-2018, 15:05   #4

NC is a small market with a few players, I have seen a few rip offs for boat owners there.

Would suggest you talk to an Aus broker first, they may be OK listing for you.

I really think you should bring the boat back to Aus before selling it, you are low fruit ripe for plucking over there.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 19:19   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

There was a recent thread on CF with a seller in New Caledonia, maybe contact that person for more info (how not to do it).
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...on-200935.html

Another avenue is to approach an Oz broker who has experience in overseas deals, like Rod Waterhouse of DBY brokers in Pittwater NSW (no, I have no relationship with DBY, or have any interest in that company).
Old 02-06-2018, 10:50   #6

Boat: 1987 C&C 35 MK3

Why don't you post some pics and specs here? You never know what can happen
robertwcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 13:37   #7

I am Dutch citizen, USA resident. Set up a UK company to buy French registered/flagged boat which was "in warehouse" (custom control as her original 1 year expired) in NEW CALEDONIA from Swedish original owner. Registered & re-flagged in the NETHERLANDS.

Clearly an "off shore" transaction. Everything in NEW CALEDONIA very simple & easy as long as you are within your ITF or "in warehouse". Biggest PITA was the French de-registration as they want for EVERYTHING the originals. No issue here for you.

Teun
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, cal, New Caledonia, yacht