Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 10:01   #1

HAWAII BOUND THIS FALL

Hey Hey Hey,

Myself and a couple friends are looking to hitch a ride over to Hawaii this fall. Mid to end of september we are thinking. We are willing to work work work, bring good vibes and great company!
I am an artist. I just graduated with a degree in art/painting.
Ian- is currently hitchhiking all 50 states.
Megan- Is an extremely talented musician.

if your people contact our people we would LOVE to make magic happen!! Thank you so much and we look forward to hearing from YOU!!

h-ART,
Laura
LauraHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:23   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: HAWAII BOUND THIS FALL

Aloha and I hope it all works out for you.
kind regards,
Old 28-06-2011, 12:47   #3

THANKS JOHN!!!!
LauraHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 18:22   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

What about cooking, cleaning, standing watch, changing oil, or anything else to do with making the boat move forward? That's what people need is help with the boat. BEST WISHES in finding a vessel.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 18:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Laura- what is your and your friends sailing experience? Do you get seasick after being rolled around for 3 days straight?? ( I do) Can you pay attention for 6 hours a day to the horizon, even if there is nothing there? For 11 days straight? This is the Pacific ocean, some of the nastiest water in the world.
If I were you and your friends, I would work at McDonald's for a week, buy a ticket off Kayak (for 220 USD*), get there refreshed in 5 hours and ready to play with a week extra time. Leave sailing there to those who are seriously addicted to a painful life.
If on the other hand you are sailors and want to go across blue water for the first time, may I suggest the southern coast of Florida and the Caribbean. If you sail there out of hurricane season, winds above 40 knots are not the first thing you see.
Believe me, I am not trying to rain on your parade. Rather I want you to succeed. The ocean is a huge reality show- with some of it nice, some of it not so nice and some of it downright nasty. You want to go to the nice places first.

*Price based on today- booking flight from Sea to Hon, one way, Sept 1 2011.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 20:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Laura, you and and your friends should get some crewing experience -- it doesn't have to be much, even a weekend "learn to crew" course, or a few weekends on a friendly boat would be useful (better yet, both). Find someone who will take you offshore for a day or two.

From California to Hawaii is usually a two week passage, less if the crew is really pushing the boat. Seasickness is probably the worst thing you will experience. Learn about that, through personal experience if possible.

You will need to stand watch, probably by yourself, for several hours each night. The skipper needs to know that you will do your job and know when to wake someone up if you need help or advice. If you can't do this you shouldn't get on the boat. When you stand watch the entire crew is placing their lives in your hands.

So, it's serious business. It's also a lot of fun, and can be an experience you will treasure always. Prepare yourselves and do it if you can.

EDIT - I just noticed the plan is to go to Hawaii "this fall". Fall is not the typical season for a passage from California to Hawaii, as this is the height of hurricane season. Sure, it can usually be done with no problems, but there will be fewer boats heading west, and the conditions could be an issue. If it has to be in the fall, a jet plane might be the best way for you to get to Hawaii.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii