Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 23:22   #16

Getting the paperwork in order can be a small challenge. Especially in Indonesia. A local agent can help. Doing it in advance can help. Can cost a few hundred dollars. But that's how it works. Keep in mind that your home country has the same or worse barriers to their citizens visiting your home. Friends in SE Asia have told me it is probably impossible for them to visit me in the US. That's bleak. Indonesia is some work, but not impossible.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 01:03   #17

Boat: Swan 56
Re: El Cheapo in Asia

Another tricky one is the Andaman Islands (Indian) which requires visas beforehand and a bit of hoop jumping. The rest of SE Asia is simply a case of turning up and paying a small fee.

I've not sailed to either Australia or USA, but I understand it's much more involved. Especially if one was Thai, Malaysian or Filipino for example.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 04:31   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorde View Post
1. It is possible to find a "vessel" in SE Asia and sail it across, with some conditions applying. I would need to plan the routes with nautical maps, pilot charts etc... A strong preparation with all the administrative documents would be necessary also. Find either a flat-bottom sailing boat that we could bring ashore in bad weather or a burlier boat that would stand a swell and try and "survive" in that. The fact of there being more engine propelled boats, could I not modify one to fit a mast? Maybe get some help and pay a local crafstman (though it would probably bring the price up a lot, we have time but not that much momey)?
Some of the crap that folks in SE Asia set to sea on for work purposes needs to be seen to be beleived. But not to say that cannot make a starting point, just don't expect much that will be "ready to go". and you probably will need to like the smell of fish 24/7 . I would Google up the sorts of boats common in your intended area(s) and then work out what modificiations and equipment a boat like that will need for sail / for you.

Remember that no power or low / unreliable power means that not only does the boat need to sail, it needs to sail well....so a bit more than simply adding a stick and some sails - need to add some thought as well (and probably also involve some element of simply taking a punt). Plus some of the equipment you will likely need to bring with you and other stuff obtain in country, but away from the locale of your boat.

If you have the time (a couple of you working will help with that) - what about building your own boat out there! Something like a Wharram Tiki 21 (catamaran), would be pretty much like camping afloat - but they (apparently) sail well....budget of course may be an issue, but if you are building for a few years (rather than for a few decades) then possible to cut a few corners on quality of the build.....or simply look to recoup some of the cash upon resale.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:08   #19

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I would email this guy (Monsoon Dervish) with your questions. He is very approachable and could give you some good advice I think. He's definitely done some crazy stuff on next to nothing money-wise.

Tags
Asia