Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2023, 10:03   #1

Windvane self steering

I just this summer got myself a little ocean sailer and im thinking about buying a windvane, the only problem is that i havent got the money to buy one of these expensive ones like hydrovane. Does anyone know of a company or marketplace where i can find either new or used affordable windvane?
Olesunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:51   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Windvane self steering

Someone posted on for sale on this forum today:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3808437
Old 04-08-2023, 14:40   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 14:55   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Olesunds, what sort of 'little ocean sailor' do you own?

I imagine the second hand wind vane market in Norway is a little sparse.

Have you considered making your own windvane?

My boat is 39 foot, has a 'home built' - OK built aboard a friend's boat - 'trim tab on auxiliary rudder ' vane that works exceedingly well.
Old 04-08-2023, 15:51   #5

Heyy, i do own both a albin viggen 23 and an alo mikkel 27, im looking for an affordable option of windvane steering, i have not yet considered actually making one myself, as im 16 years old with basically no knowledge of any sort about windvanes and so on, it would be cool to make one but im not sure im capeable of doing so. Im happy to receive any sort of tips and tricks so that i can improve my sailing skills, thanks for the answer anyway!
Old 04-08-2023, 16:09   #6

And yes, the windvane market in norway isnt particularly huge, every now and then i see a hydrovane but thats wayy tooo expensive for me.
Old 04-08-2023, 18:04   #7

Hydrovane is an auxiliary rudder vane. Look up servo pendulum windvanes, there are lots of them. If your boat is long keeled and a rudder attached on the back of the keel you can use a simple trim tab vane. If your steering is tiller that’s a bonus for servo pendulum systems. Google is your friend, type in servo pendulum wind vane and start educating yourself. Good luck and have fun!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self steering, steering, wind, windvane