Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 21:44   #1

Boat: Corsair F-27 trimaran
Which marina in Southern California for 6 to 8 months?

We are moving temporarily from the San Francisco Bay Area to Southern California (Calabasas, near Malibu).

We want to take our Corsair F-27 foldable trimaran and so we need to find a marina for the duration of our stay there, 6 months perhaps a bit more.

How should I approach that? Where am I likely to find an available berth? What price can I expect to pay?

The boat can use a regular berth with the amas folded for a length of 27’ and a beam width of 8.4’

Thanks for any tip or suggestion
jdmuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 22:19   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: Which marina in Southern California for 6 to 8 months?

Hi....
I am in the Westlake/Thousand Oaks area near Calabasas. Your closest harbors are going to be Channel Islands and Ventura. Both are about the same distance. Channel Islands is less commercial ...quieter, while Ventura is busier and more touristy.
I can not tell you all the marinas in the area nor how much for a 25-30ft slip...but one of the nicest is runned by Safe Harbor Marina and they operate in both Ventura and Channel Islands Harbor. The one in Channel Islands Harbor is called Anacapa Isle Marina.
You do not want to go to Marina Del Rey ...it is too far, more expensive, and the traffic will kill you.

Hope that helps....

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 22:26   #3

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Channel Islands or Ventura. High class part of town, nice and clean.
I think Ventura has a better angle to Santa Cruz Island.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 10:27   #4

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

"Calabasas" is well inland. If you're goingto be living somewhere in the coastal mouintain range, you'll be closer to the water, but further by road from the marina.

From the Highway 101 / LA County line in Calabasas taking the 101 to either Channel Islands or Ventura marina will be about an hour one way, +/- traffic. Getting to any of the LA marinas can be triple that just because of traffic.

Either Channel Islands or Ventura marina can probably accommodate your boat.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 16:23   #5

Boat: C&C 38

Best choice in my opinion is Peninsula Yacht Marina in Channel Islands. Talk to Glenda. Plus it’s right out on the point, best spot in the harbor. Around 40 miles to Calabasas.
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:58   #6

We have been gone for over 4 years.

Having stayed in many of the marinas in the Santa Barbara, Ventura and Channel Islands area for years at a time, the nicest, newest and most reasonably priced was Seabridge Marina. It’s a ways back from the breakwater but that part of the trip is entertaining in every way.

That was then and things do change. Good luck

Joe
Lucky Liner ll
5288 Bayliner
Jas0381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 10:37   #7

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

I've been in Ventura West Marina for seven plus years, very happy with it. I work in Calabasas, and the travel time varies with traffic, of course, but if you're on the road early for a day on the boat, you can make Ventura harbor in 35 minutes. As mentioned above, Ventura does have a better angle to Santa Cruz Island, I've often been able to reach Smugglers anchorage on one tack.

I believe their slip rates are pretty competitive with the other marinas in the area, 28 feet is currently $374.

Ventura Harbor is pretty small, but still has a nice array of restaurants, a chandlery, two boat yards, an Ullman sail loft, etc.

Seabridge is a non-starter for most sailboats, unless you have a tabernacle rig to get under the Channel Islands Blvd bridge, clearance is only 29 feet at low tide.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california