Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 09:34   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: When would you NOT hire a surveyor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
These people, and the doctors and lawyers alluded to above, do not provide you with a disclaimer for you to witness, which absolves them of any blame. If a doctor goofs it, you have legal recourse. If a surveyor goofs it, caveat emptor!
Actually, every surveyor carries E&O insurance ("errors and omissions") for the specific purpose of protecting them from liability just the same as all of the other professions mentioned. They most certainly do have liability or they would not bother paying for such insurance. I am aware of a number of cases in which surveyors were liable for unidentified issues for which their insurance underwriter paid.

All of which is moot as any decent surveyor can find problems a prospective purchaser may not which is why the vast majority of people use them.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 09:55   #32

Boat: Cal 2-30

I would go by my own checkout of the boat if it was a small boat, had low value, uncomplicated systems and was available to see out of water. I have found some surveyors will go pretty in depth on engine and systems and others will really only look at the hull. I want someone that will run the engine, watch the shaft turn, look at all engine hose and electrical connections, look at all seacocks, evaluate the sails and deck gear, see what lights and electronics work etc. I have never seen a surveyor go up a mast or really evaluate the standing rigging other than to ask how old is it... it probably should be replaced. As I am writing this it is pretty easy to come up with a list that you can use to do the survey yourself. The big problem is keeping your emotions ie love at first sight out of it.
crashkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:17   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if there is to be no bank loan nor comprehensive insurance purchased, then there is no need for survey.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:19   #34

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if there is to be no bank loan or comprehensive insurance purchased, then there is no need for survey.
I think it would be more accurate to state there's no requirement. I think it would be pretty foolish to spend $50k on a boat and not get a survey, just because it may not be required.

A lot also depends on the knowledge of the buyer.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:33   #35

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
if there is to be no bank loan nor comprehensive insurance purchased, then there is no need for survey.
I agree Zee, if you are not familiar with boats you should take along someone who is. But no loan, no insurance, no problem, it will or will not be obvious
To the buyer what is needed.
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 11:25   #36
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I bought my plywood catamaran without a survey. If you purchase a one-off wooden boat, good luck finding insurance on it. Most surveyors are not even familiar with plywood epoxy construction. Furthermore most survey reports have these statements about the engine and rigging: Recommend that a certified rigging surveyor inspect the rig, certified diesel mechanic evaluate the engines.
Most surveyors just seem to list the equipment, look for obvious defects, and do some sounding or moisture readings on the hull. I think most people that get a survey do it for insurance reasons. If you want to get into this cruising life on a budget then you will need to evaluate and repair everything on the boat yourself so you need to learn to do a "self survey". Personally I would have loved to have surveys done, I would love to have insurance. I also want radar, sat phone, ais, watermaker, ssb, new sails, new paint, a new dinghy, A/C, power winches, new upholstery, actually I would have chosen a well equipped production cruising catamaran over what I have but I was a couple hundred thousand short on funds so I settled on what I have which is working for us just fine but is more of a project than a typical maintenance scenario.
But before you head out and buy a boat without a survey (which means that you don't intend to purchase insurance either) ask yourself if you can live with the risk and inconvenience of an uninsured boat. 1. You could easily lose your life savings just by hitting a rock or tying a knot wrong. 2. You could hit another boat and be subject to a lawsuit. 3. Your expensive electronics and dinghy could get ripped off. 4. you could get wrecked by a storm. 4. A lot of marinas and haulout yards require that you carry a liability policy at the very least. We fell into this trap: You can't get a haulout without insurance, you cant get insurance without a survey, You can't get a survey without a haulout.
My advice is that if you do a pre purchase survey, make sure that it can be used by the insurance company as well or you may end up paying for a second survey. And if you choose to go uninsured don't hit anything!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 11:37   #37

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
I didn't get one for my ferro. Cost 30k and is 36ft. If a knowledgable surveyor was around I probably would have but that wasn't the case. Lots of research and she was a pretty clearly well made and documented boat. I think if she were over 50k I would have gone the extra effort. No regrets so far!
Ditto here, although in my case the investment was significantly less.

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 11:40   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

I wouldn't hire a surveyor if I knew that I would never need or want insurance.
I wouldn't hire a surveyor if I spent less than $15K and the boat had an OB motor

When a surveyor is really necessary is when you buy a large boat for a small amount
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:18   #39

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I didn't get a survey for my boat during the purchase. I researched boats and when mine came up, I looked it over myself. There was a few obvious projects needed, mostly cleaning up and I was pretty sure the rest of the boat was solid. Now I only have a couple things to do then I want to get a fresh survey in order to get insurance which will be needed when the boat is at a marina. Not many surveyors where I live so it might take some time for one to be available.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 12:20   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Based on the surveys I have paid for ........... I woudn't hire a surveyor if the bank and insurance company wasn't making me!

Tags
surveyor