Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2022, 07:08   #61

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: When that nice anchorage goes south

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
In fact that (changing sails) can also be done with a sail on a furler. I don't know why more people don't change sails on their furler when needed. I think it is a mindset, (plus, it is work, after all, and that is to be avoided at all costs).

I know some people that do it (although often at the dock before departure based on expected conditions rather than underway). I think it's a combination of a few things: many sailors on boats with roller furling don't carry a large sail inventory. And many sailors aren't chasing every last drop of performance, so they'll gladly save some space down below and live with the "good enough" sail setup even though they could have better.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:21   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Aside from the reduction of windage and better sail shape, you get the option of changing sails. Start off on a nice day with a #2 and when the afternoon wind turns blustery you switch to the #4. There is nothing sweeter than a fine yacht like your X slicing to windward in a breeze with a small sail set.

In fact that (changing sails) can also be done with a sail on a furler. I don't know why more people don't change sails on their furler when needed. I think it is a mindset, (plus, it is work, after all, and that is to be avoided at all costs).

And certainly, when you are done sailing for the day the sail comes down. Bag it in a sausage bag and leave it on the foredeck. No windage but ready to go up in a moment's notice.
We have just swapped out our ProFurl for a ReefRite furler. The ProFurl had some issues and needed serious work at best. It was easier to change out and had other benefits. For one we wanted a system where it was easier to change between genoa and working jib at sea and also it came with a new forestay.

The ReefRite does not use a continuous luff wire but slugs like a main sail and, like a main sail, it has a gate so the sail can be completely removed. The sail still furls as normal and can easily be dropped and bagged without removing it from the extrusion or removed. It would be rather easy to have 2 head sails bagged on the foredeck and then run up which ever one you desire. There are other advantages.

We are still very new to this system but are so far very impressed with the concept and execution. It is not a well known system but I have heard nothing but good about it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:34   #63

Boat: X442

Quote:
Aside from the reduction of windage and better sail shape, you get the option of changing sails. Start off on a nice day with a #2 and when the afternoon wind turns blustery you switch to the #4. There is nothing sweeter than a fine yacht like your X slicing to windward in a breeze with a small sail set.

And certainly, when you are done sailing for the day the sail comes down. Bag it in a sausage bag and leave it on the foredeck. No windage but ready to go up in a moment's notice.
I think we are on the same page. Two additional considerations, 1. My wife and kids are not, let's say, seasoned like me. I have spent my years in foredeck, mast and cockpit positions on most of the races around the UK and Ireland so I am definitely itching for the performance of the numbered genoas. But that was when I was younger without family commitments, now it all makes my family, and especially my wife, a bit nervous so furling it is. I don't want to have people on my boat operate outside their personal comfort zone. 2. My furled genoa has vertical battens....it can't be dropped into a sausage bag! :-( And anyway the drum needs to come off too. But that does also mean its shape is not too shabby, apart from the air gap, which is a necessary evil with these sails.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:36   #64

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Thinking about it, sometimes it comes down to the debate between "A is technically better, but I can make better use of B". Sometimes that means that the technically worse option ends up being used more effectively in the long run.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:43   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When that nice anchorage goes south

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
My own strategy is start engine immediately.
I crack a can and anticipate an adventure..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:47   #66
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I crack a can and anticipate an adventure..

Good man , it can always be used to bail the life raft out
Old 05-09-2022, 06:32   #67

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I wonder how much of a warning there was of the imminent violent weather? Days, hours, even minutes count in these situations.
If you are ever on an unfamiliar vessel and you find a bottle labeled “tempest”….don’t open it.
I know people who were there, and they all said there was absolutely no warning at all. I believe them. I do wonder if it would have been different if anyone used a weather router in the Med like we used in the Caribbean and the US when we were sailing there.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:40   #68
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Tom Crean View Post
Some more footage on the storm that hit Corsica couple of weeks back. Some scary stuff in here and shows how a nice peaceful anchorage can go south in less than 15 minutes.

Sobering stuff and a lots of dreams ruined.

https://youtu.be/PUpN_1zrdBg
Given time and forecast severity I would start by cleaning up the boat and storing anything that would add to the storm's drag on the boat including sails and possibly dodger. Dog all hatches and dorads. Secure all lines from going overboard. Position the boat upwind away from others that might drag down on me with maximum rode and dual anchors. Put up a riding sail if I had one or use the storm jib as one off the backstay. Prepare to start the engine and at least idle forward against the strain. Put on life jackets. Charge phone and all electronics. Keep my insurance phone number available. Eat something. Seek divine guidance if so inclined.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:48   #69

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Update on the warnings. It does work and plays the sound.

Even though currently the only way to test it seems to be to set the alarm radius large enough that it picks up a far enough thunderstorm.
You need to activate the warnings and pick a warning sound. It will not give you feedback that the alarmsound you choose has been set.

As there are no thunderstorms close to here I set the alarm radius to 500km and picked a song from the Stones.
Suddenly it played it and indicated a storm 495km away.

I'll set mine now to 50km distance for the notification and 25km for the alarm.
How do you manage to select a song as alarm sound? All I can see is tick boxes for short signals. Nothing that would wake me up
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:54   #70

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
How do you manage to select a song as alarm sound? All I can see is tick boxes for short signals. Nothing that would wake me up
You go on the upper right.
Hit settings, then go to alarms, than sound alarm and choose anything you like or hear.
It will unfortunately not show you that it has actually accepted your selection.
Than switch the alarm on by the tick mark.
Btw. You can set a radius in which you get notified and another one which sounds the alarm.
I set 50km as notification radius, it beeps once and tells me that there is activity within 50km.
I set alarm to 25km so I get woken up when anything gets closer than 25km.
Pretty awesome.

If there is no thunderstorm close by, set a very large raius for testing...
Old 05-09-2022, 12:09   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

In addition to radar, in civilization like that you can check the weather a few times a day. That shows you what’s developing.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:55   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
In addition to radar, in civilization like that you can check the weather a few times a day. That shows you what’s developing.
Yes, it can, but at night when you are likely asleep at anchor an alarm going off early enough to still prepare a bit is really really helpful.
The Blitzortung App does it, for free, provided you have internet.
Old 05-09-2022, 13:34   #73

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One time, we were on a lee shore when the wind came back from the opposite direction after a small cyclone went over us. It was also fast-moving. And we were not able to motor straight into the wind to get out and go to sea.

How we solved the problem that time, was to raise the storm jib and motor-sailed out, tacking the storm jib, going tack on tack till we were safely out of the bay, and then we hove to for the night, because there was sea room. The storm jib gave the extra power we needed to make progress.

Radar is useless in a heavy rain, because it gets returns from all the drops, so all you see is whiteout. Love it in fog, though.

Ann
Old 05-09-2022, 13:45   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
One time, we were on a lee shore when the wind came back from the opposite direction after a small cyclone went over us. It was also fast-moving. And we were not able to motor straight into the wind to get out and go to sea.

How we solved the problem that time, was to raise the storm jib and motor-sailed out, tacking the storm jib, going tack on tack till we were safely out of the bay, and then we hove to for the night, because there was sea room.

Radar is useless in a heavy rain, because it gets returns from all the drops, so all you see is whiteout. Love it in fog, though.

Ann
Great comment and reminder. Thanks Ann
Old 05-09-2022, 13:56   #75

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

We get kickass thunderstorms frequently here in Florida. They are not readily predictable, but not unexpected. An eye on the sky and on the weather radar (as shown at the beginning of that scary video), gives some warning.

Of course we hardly have rocks here. I about put NURDLE on the beach in a bad thunderstorm. Furling line chafed thru, engine crapped out. Too choppy to drop anchor. Was inside the swim buoys before I got her turned around. Very educational.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor