Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 15:43   #16

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: When its Too Good to be True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
I have been given advice by another cruiser to turn the drum upside down as the main problem over time is that the active ingredients sink to the bottom and go hard .

Good advice. A good indication might be to give it some time for gravity to work and open the top bung and see how homogeneous it is.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 16:28   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It will need to be put on a shaker or stirred for a very long time to get it mixed.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 16:30   #18

Boat: Dean Ocean Liner 365

Tom, Rita's doesn't exist anymore. About the paint. Maybe you are lucky, but be aware of the fact that here in Suriname 80% (!!!) of the brand stuff is Chinese fake. That's not from heresay, but some team of factfinders went through the whole Caribbean to check this out.
So be carefull buying lots of the stuff. Just saying
Notyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 16:32   #19

Oh, and by the way, those Dutch fishermen are indeed a good source to ask. Look for the catamaran in their backyard.

By the way, we saw your boat going by when passing the high bridge over the Suriname River. Was it last week, or the week before? Just checked your blog and recognized the hard top.
Old 20-11-2012, 17:53   #20
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyet View Post
Oh, and by the way, those Dutch fishermen are indeed a good source to ask. Look for the catamaran in their backyard.

By the way, we saw your boat going by when passing the high bridge over the Suriname River. Was it last week, or the week before? Just checked your blog and recognized the hard top.
Thanks for the advise . So what are you doing down this neck of the woods ? certainly a nice place to chill out for a while. Whats with that catamaran who owns it ?
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:09   #21

[QUOTE=TOM;1089506]Thanks for the advise . So what are you doing down this neck of the woods ? certainly a nice place to chill out for a while. Whats with that catamaran who owns it ?[/

We just emigrated because we were sick of the Netherlands Too busy, too many rules, too many people. So we sold out steel 30 footer, and with that money we emigrated to Suriname. We are living here for almost eight years now, but it's time to leave again. The world is too big to stay at one place.
Actually I'm (we) doing nothing "here". I translate chistian books for several publishers in the Netherlands and my wife is doing a study psychology. Next year our youngest child is going back to the Netherlands for study, and then it's the two of us again. Time for new things. But it's still very nice were we live. We are living just three kilometers from the Suriname River, at the other side of where Paramaribo is. In the middle of lots of green, growing stuff.

About the cat. They told us (I think 7 years ago) that it was stolen in South Africa and sailed to Suriname by a couple. They left it there, on one of the moorings of the Dutch fishermen, and after a while it started to sink because of leaking seals of the sail drives, and they pulled the cat out of the water. There was some trial over the cat, about the ownership of it. The Dutch wanted to see cash for the long period of mooring and the haul out, but nobody wanted to pay and all. I don't know what it going on now, because I haven't spoken to the fishermen for a long time.