Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 21:32   #46

Boat: 1971 cal 27
Re: Typical weekly menu for sailor in the golden age of sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You can drink a gallon of beer per day? Today's version of salted meat has nitrates, they're cumulative, ie. you got them forever. How old are you?
ok. not the gallon of watery beer. i don't touch coors light. lol although, i do go through phases. sometimes i drink very little. sometimes i drink a lot. during the i drink a lot phases, i could do a gallon a day. however, i haven't been into beer as much, the last few years. now, it's southern comfort and rum.

anyhow....

i was referring to the predominance of meat. i eat a heavily meat based diet.

46 going on 47.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 21:39   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
And nitrites(very bad for you). Lots of them. You can get scurvy from just a meat diet. You need vitamin C and that is from fruits, veggies, and to a limited degree dairy products. Pluis when you cook anything with vitamin C it tends to destroy the vitamin. Or just take a Vitamin C supplement. Rare today to find scurvy.
i think it has to be a pretty extreme dearth of fruit to cause scurvy. i don't eat any vegetables that don't end in the word 'bean', except for sauerkraut...and i don't end up getting much of the latter, these days. i also rarely eat fruit. not that i don't like most fruit. i do (unlike vegetables which i mostly can't stand). i just rarely get around to eating them.

i did find a great deal on canned mandarin oranges at aldi, recently. i now have about a dozen cans on board. that's been a nice treat!

anyhow, i am in fine health. so, like i said, it must take extreme deficiency to get scurvy.
Old 02-08-2016, 21:40   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
This reminds me of the beer my friends would brew in college, which definitely had, uhhm, 'texture'.

I would also note to all you prissy foody types, that it would take 60 insect pieces or more per 100 grams of chocolate to be rejected by the FDA. Or, if you really want to get gross, 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams. Seriously Look it up. Defect Levels Handbook
you should drink that sediment. it's good for you and contains vitamin E.

beer is food. food is good. let's eat!
Old 02-08-2016, 21:41   #49

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Absolutely true. However raw meat does not have a whole lot of vitamin C to begin with. The traditional lifestyle forced the northern folks to burn about 8000 calories per day, and thus eat a lot of raw meat.

Contrast that with the Gauchos on the pampas who use to eat meat while on the pampas with their livestock. They cooked the meat. Many got scurvies until someone figured out that eating grass and other plants prevented teeth from falling out.

Of course with the passing of those traditional lifestyles, such a diet is a death sentence. Also the Inuits and other northern folks use to eat lots of pure fat. Like the sumo wrestlers, you can get away with that if you exercise or burn off huge amounts of calories per day. Few do that today. Interestingly, Sumos are extremely morbidly obese but extremely healthy on their vital signs. Most of their body fat is brown fat. Body chemistry is tricky.
The vitamin C in meat is mostly in the liver and other organ meats. You get almost none if your eating steak.

Another aspect of scurvy is that vitamin C I'd an antioxidant, and is consumed by the free radicals that are generated during carbohydrate burning. If you're on a low carb diet, you use less, and need less.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 21:43   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe Narwal is chock full of Vitamin C. A little North of where I want to cruise though.
I am a firm believer in Vitamin C myself, I believe we primates and Guinea pigs are the only two mammals that don't manufacture it in our bodies.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
it's definitely good to take vitamin C before dropping acid....i have been told.
Old 02-08-2016, 21:46   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
Scurvy was continuously solved as a problem but forgotten then rediscovered until the 1800s. Millions died at sea. Fresh fruit and raw beef provided vitamin C, but the customary cooking vessel was copper and basically destroyed any trace vitamin C by compound reactions. Lemons were found to be great, but then the cost was prohibitive when France and Spain cut English supplies and the admiralty sought to find alternatives. The limes were cheaper but less effective, and some prepared concentrates were found to be worthless due to copper reactions.

It wasn't as much of a problem merchantmen, as they were lightly crewed, replenished stocks and took prevailing winds. But in discovery and naval operations, horrible death rates occurred.
this is a very informative post. thanks. it's interesting when you also consider that you can't drink alcohol from a copper container or smoke from a pipe made of copper. a chemical reaction occurs which is toxic.
Old 02-08-2016, 22:01   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
The vitamin C in meat is mostly in the liver and other organ meats. You get almost none if your eating steak.

Another aspect of scurvy is that vitamin C I'd an antioxidant, and is consumed by the free radicals that are generated during carbohydrate burning. If you're on a low carb diet, you use less, and need less.
that might explain that. i don't eat a lot of grain based products. not into italian food so i don't eat pasta but rarely and my bread intake is not all that high either. i don't eat cereal now that i am an adult. it's eggs and meat for breakfast.

Tags
cal, men, sail