Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 09:07   #16

Boat: Beneteau
Re: True live aboard experience versus a one week charter

This is simply some variation of what John Kreschmer and the others are doing. My feeling is that a big catamaran would be the least viable option given that anyone wanting to learn these skills and experience what they would if they are looking to liveaboard aren't likely to do so on such a boat. While there are transferable skills and there will be some buying those boats I'd be inclined to think most start somewhat more modestly and safely in a boat that is easier to handle and with fewer systems. Jumping into that scenario is like captaining a large ship right out of school... it isn't likely to happen. Some of it makes sense but I would not be inclined to bet the farm on that business model.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 09:52   #17

Boat: Leopard 39

[QUOTE=Builder G.;2962646]My question for the group.
Is there a desire of people for a true live aboard experience aboard a large Catamaran?

You've raised a valid question. My wife and I chartered a variety of boats for several seasons in a variety of locations before we purchased a Leopard 39 earlier this year. We also subscribed to the forum "Find a Crew" which gave us the opportunity to travel on someone else's boat for a longer period of time and experience the cruising lifestyle as you described, which for us was very helpful. I believe there is a market for your concept. Perhaps listing your boat and cruising itinerary on a crew finder forum and taking some folks on board would help you determine if you want to pursue the idea further as well as introduce you to both the opportunity and challenges involved.

A lot of us in the cruising community are trying to figure out ways to offset the expense of our passion. Your idea is as valid as any other. I wish you success.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:15   #18

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

This is what we did, we had guests aboard for an immersive experience. Some of them are now cruisers.
Old 14-08-2020, 16:12   #19

Boat: Sabre 34 sloop

BUILDER G..........YOU SURE DON'T MAKE IT SOUND VERY APPEALING
tootalltony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2020, 16:40   #20

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Please read what the U.S. Coast Guard considers the requirement for an operator of a vessel to holds a suitable license. Taking anything of value from a person..anything...makes that person a passenger. And you would be well advised to have all your ducks in a row because they have the option to declare your vessel on a “manifestly unsafe voyage” replace you and your passengers with their crew and return you to safe harbor. Then you will need an attorney in admiralty. Happy trails to you.
Mark, a active Merchant Mariner Manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 03:09   #21

Boat: Hanse 531

I'm really interested in this theme and have a question the other way around: what are the best ways to find opportunities to experience different boats without paying a fortune in time or money?

Boats/yachts like these:

- Big monohull with swing keel, 50-60 foot Southerly for example
- Performance catamarans: Catana, Outremer, Seawind etc
Old 15-08-2020, 07:11   #22
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
IOW, you're looking for crew who will pay you for the privilege?
I agree. There are already several companies / boats that do long term cruising programs. This is good and valuable as it's an actual program, not just "Come on board, that's $5000 please, let me introduce you to my deck brush".
Old 18-08-2020, 18:15   #23

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN2140 View Post
DreamYacht Charters has a "sabbatical" program that might be perfect for your needs. Check it out.
https://www.dreamyachtcharter.com/ch...ical-charters/
ok, this post just got me very excited
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 08:37   #24

Its all about daily routine. We all get conditioned to do something once we have done it plenty of times, I don’t see the dilemma between a liveaboard experience and a one-week charter when it comes to sailing.
My husband has been cruising the open waters for a decade now in the Mediterranean , maintaing a budget for maintenance and repair and planning trips according to settled weather as well as anchoring and mooring spots for overnights. Just like I am in the routine of taking care of the kids at home, buying food at the local grocery for home as well as all the other house care needs. What my husband actually does to be happy with his goals and income is to combine leisure trips for people for years until he knows what it truly takes to liveaboard the yacht itself, that is his long-term goal. He now has accumulated enough knowledge to pass on what he has learned to our kids so that we can start a charter business soon and keep passing on the knowledge gained to other who want to have good time in the water. There are a few answers in this thread that may have not answered your question, I hope we all realize that there are sacrifices that we have to make with what we really want to do in life and it comes down to vision- do you want a short term experience ( week charter) or a long term experience (liveaboard) that you will stay committed to?
AlexandraCirka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 07:11   #25

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

it is a big difference if you go sailing and playing for a week or if you go living full time on the water, or if you go cruising the world.

Different goals, different preparation, different challenges.

Tags
charter, enc