Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 03:22   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Towing a Motor Boat

If I were to tow you behind my sailboat, I would ask more money for the effort than what you will pay to send the motorboat over the Atlantic on a cargo ship...
Old 07-04-2022, 03:46   #17

What about You towing a sailboat, using it as external fuel tank ? Maybe the owner will pay You something ? But if encountering rough weather he will sure cut the tow line and sail away !

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:26   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
CaptainRon if you are going to be tight on fuel costs maybe a kite like this would work? You could combine it with an electric outboard bolted on the transom, some solar panels on the roof and motor across for free. At night you could have a couple of bicycle generators to keep the batteries topped up.
Cheers
The cost of that setup for a sizeable boat would pay for the fuel and some if.......it was a fuel efficient powerboat

Lisbon to Jupiter Inlet would be around 7500 litres for us
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:33   #19

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
If I were to tow you behind my sailboat, I would ask more money for the effort than what you will pay to send the motorboat over the Atlantic on a cargo ship...
And how much do you think that would cost?
I reckon a hell of a lot more than you think.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:42   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleron View Post
I didn’t want to put that many hours on the boat. Rather save them for Fla and also save the fuel costs.
I’m often amused to note, how many upper-middle-class millionaires [bourgeoisie], want to spend like lower-class plebeians [proletariat], to live like uber-upper-class billionaires [aristocracy].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:43   #21

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleron View Post
Hey guys,
I’m considering transporting a 50ft motor boat from Europe to Florida, however since shipping costs are expensive I’m interested in having someone on a little sailboat “tow” it across the Atlantic. Imagine a 40ft sailboat towing this boat, even if it took 1 month or longer.
Would this be possible?

Please advise best options.
Another no.

We've got a heavy 42' sailboat.
Yes, we could tow you if we came across you in sheltered water, needing a short tow. Across the Atlantic? No.
The extra wear and tear on the yacht would be horrendous. Lots of boats have failures just getting themselves across.
If anything happened to either boat, we'd need to drop the tow. Picking it up again in 25kn winds and a 3m swell (typical conditions) would be extremely difficult and potentially very dangerous.
The motor boat would be a horrible, horrible place to be. You'd be rolling like a pig on a wet sock. You'd have no steerage. The towed vessel would saw back and forth, and risk rolling in a big following sea.

Atlantic Tow - No. Just no.

Explore sail - assist using kites if fuel is the killer.
Yacht transport is expensive, but reliable.

Ps buying a boat in the med - wiring? The rest of the world does not use 110v.

It does sound as if you are some way off being in a position to make this journey at all, never mind in such an unorthodox way.

If this was a troll, and by replying I have 'fallen for it', sorry. Its a slow day here, and an interesting lunchtime convo.
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:47   #22

Boat: Pearson

I would not attempt it. Al Grover of freeport l.i. built grover built boats and he and his son motored his 26’ groverbuilt from nova scotia to the azores then to england, powered by 2 65 hp evenrudes, 30 days and would not do it again, do the math , hull speed ?
Old 07-04-2022, 04:50   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I like comedy threads breaks up the serious chat.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:33   #24

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

there is an easier solution, just equip motor vessel with lots of food & water, power it out to where the returning Gulf Stream current and prevailing east winds meet, then let it drift to the Americas. Thats how Columbus did it in a 20meter vessel without paying shipping fees.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:01   #25

Boat: Passport 37

UnClearOn, How about erecting a temporary mast on the power boat and sailing it across? 2x4 mast with bed sheet sails. Admiral’s cap made of newspaper and you’re good to go.
mhay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:19   #26

We need more posts like this , it was the high point of our sailing club meeting. Wish I had recorded the input - it was hilarious! Has to be a joke no one can be that .........
bjp447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:48   #27

Well joke aside towing a boat is a real topic and takes some skill to pull it off.
I have a French Boat. I’ve had boats built in Ohio they both had freight.
Buy a 50’ US boat.

I towed a 330 SeaRay with a 9.2 inflatable with a 4hp 4stroke. If I tried towing it from the bow the 5 ton sea ray would not budge but tied to the side bet I hit a half knot but I got it out in to deep water where her engines could start.
A club in Toronto lost a very old member off the coast of Burlington west of Toronto. He was never found but his boat was hitting a breakwall and chewing the bow.
A rescue boat with pumps pulled the boat off the rocks and started to tow it back to the club on a mainland yard. Proper flags on sailboat and tow boat. You know Mr. Happy in a power boat zipped between then. The power boat (%€*#|>) suffer minor damage but plunged the sailboats damaged bow under sinking the boat. Back up it’s 37’ of ruin.
I filmed from my Dingy a Tug delivering a bridge to the city from the east coast.
Towing ain’t easy.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:59   #28

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I occurs to me that, regardless of the delivery method chosen, it would be cheaper to sell the boat in Europe and buy a similar one in the US.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:10   #29

Go to Spain put it on a freighter. Barter
Old 07-04-2022, 08:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I occurs to me that, regardless of the delivery method chosen, it would be cheaper to sell the boat in Europe and buy a similar one in the US.
Logic reigns supreme.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, motor