Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 14:46   #16

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Tow a Tandem Island behind a 30'er?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Personally I fail to see what you objection is the the Walkerbay 8? but then upon reflection that would depend entirely on whether or not you have a Hypalon inflatable tube fitted to it?
I don't have the tube. I have tried a 29 pound Honda 2.3 on it. The boat nearly flips over backwards when attaching the motor. Then to steer it, you must be sitting on the floor in front of the rear seat, since the rear seat is maybe 6 inches wide.

You can't reach the throttle from the middle seat which is the only stable place a single 180 pound person can sit in the boat. Even on the floor in the rear, the bow of the boat points up 45 degrees, and that's without the motor running.

5 gallons of deisel in the front brought it down a little. When I put it in gear, it felt very unsafe while trying to steer it lying on the floor.

Another 5 gallons would have levelled it. But who rides around in a dinghy with 10 gallons of deisel?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 14:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
You could put the Hobie on deck.
You can't put an 18' Trimaran, or even just the kayak, on the deck of a Catalina 30. The Walker Bay 8 barely fit and covered the anchor locker, which will be a hazard if arriving in heavy weather.

Quote:
put the money towards a good dingy with a decent motor (8-15 horsepower) that will get two people and gear on the plane.
That's a lot of weight to be adding to davits and rails, not to mention, I have no room on a rail for a motor that large, or even below.
Old 24-02-2017, 07:12   #18

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
You can't put an 18' Trimaran, or even just the kayak, on the deck of a Catalina 30. The Walker Bay 8 barely fit and covered the anchor locker, which will be a hazard if arriving in heavy weather.

That's a lot of weight to be adding to davits and rails, not to mention, I have no room on a rail for a motor that large, or even below.
I'm not being a smart alec here, but a serious answer after reading the above.

You need a bigger boat or a set of oars for the WB8!

I would have a great deal of fear for the outcome of being in weather, the Hobie flipping and then having an 18' planer pulling down on the rear of the Catalina. The only solution to that situation is a sharp knife handy and being mentally prepared to lose the Hobie.
Old 24-02-2017, 07:27   #19

I have the oars. I don't want to row. If I take the Hobie, of course I'd be prepared to cut it loose if I needed to. Sure are a lot of people here who plan crossings in bad weather...
Old 25-02-2017, 08:59   #20

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
I have the oars. I don't want to row. If I take the Hobie, of course I'd be prepared to cut it loose if I needed to. Sure are a lot of people here who plan crossings in bad weather...
Naw, I don't necessarily think so as I am like you, very cautious! I would never plan to sail in bad weather. I just always want to think ahead about what to do if it all goes to sh** in a hurry.

Seems you have thought about it and wouldn't hesitate to "cut her loose" so now I would say go for it. Kinda like going to the slots in Vegas, be prepared to lose it all and when you come out ahead (which I believe you will do 99.9% of the time) you will be pleasantly rewarded for a successful trip.
Old 31-03-2017, 22:06   #21

I was just searching about TI's and cruising with them and your thread popped up.

Agree with you about WBs.

We talk about buying a TI. However a 43', 13.'3' beam flush deck boat with wide side decks makes stowing an 18.5' kayak an option.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, is it possible to use your davits? That is, davit the kayak and stow the amas, akas etc in the V? A C30 has a 11' beam. The stern beam is probably around 6'? That is about 6' sideways overhang on each side but the kayaks hull shape are rather slender and pinched fore and aft. So if you dip em heeling or rolling it may be okay?

Would I do this in an ocean crossing? No. But clearly if you are considering towing it to the Bahamas you will carefully pic a light air, calm seastate wx window where you motor most of the way. Once there you can probably just tow, as long as you transit from anchorages in calmer seastate.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:44   #22

I decided to buy a Zodiac Zoom Aero 8.6' from defender for about half what a new welded seam inflatable costs and a Suzuki 6hp engine. Sold the Walker Bay and the davits to my slip neighbor for $200 each.

Since the Zoom is glued seams, the boat has to be stowed in its bag when not in use, but it fits nicely on my bow without blocking my anchor locker. I bought the 12v pump to ensure it's easy to inflate so I don't get lazy about showing it.

To compensate for the short boat, I also bought Maxi Marine's lifting tabs which attach and remove easily.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:37   #23

...so I don't get lazy about stowing it, stupid fone...
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05   #24

Right on. What are you going to do the with TI though? Also, did you look into having it shipped to say Nassau or somewhere and picking it up there? Curious if that is possible
I happened to be talking to a Hobie dealer this week. Said reselling a used AI/TIs in the tropics where no Hobie dealers exists can make you a little coin.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34   #25

Wow, that is a great idea! I've been trying to sell it for $6000, willing to take $5000, but nobody in my landlocked area can afford it. I could probably ship it for the $1000 I'm willing to lose on it and then sell it in the Bahamas when I'm done there.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:58   #26

Thanks!
When you research shipping costs and how to do it I'd love to know.

Hmmm also MAYBE via a CF post or on other forums or craigslist you could find someone with a large powerboat going to the Bahamas at the same time to transport your TI? Tie it off to a rail on the sidedeck.
That would pay for their fuel for the crossing back and forth.

Quote:
Wow, that is a great idea! I've been trying to sell it for $6000, willing to take $5000, but nobody in my landlocked area can afford it. I could probably ship it for the $1000 I'm willing to lose on it and then sell it in the Bahamas when I'm done there.