Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 02:06   #16

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Salt water pump in galley sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
We're just in the process of a small repower/refit job on our fairly large boat, and I'm thinking of adding one, even with 1000 liters of freshwater tankage. We cook a whole lot, and I'm getting tired of bucketing at the transom for the first rinse of 2 or 3 pots and 3 or 4 plates and cutlery....I don't know your boat but maybe there's a way to pipe it in from an existing thruhull? That's what we're looking to do, and probably will make the difference if I do it or not: if we can just pipe something instead of making another hole in the hull...
You can add a "t" to another seawater intake to avoid adding another hole in the hull. My saltwater in the galley shares the engine raw water intake.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:24   #17

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Yes, a lot midsize monohulls will have the main engine (and therefore seawater intake) close to the galley so that should simplify things.

And perhaps quite ironically, how about a 't' off from the watermaker intake...

Also don't forget that a non return valve might be required.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:12   #18

Boat: Prout_Catamarans Snowgoose 37 Elite

Essential!!!! I found a tap with electric switch on top. Turn the knob and water runs, forever....... I don't even rinse with fresh water, unless I leave the boat for weeks. Don't use sea water for washing up coffee makers, that's all
sistef51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45   #19

Boat: Albin Vega 27

My Vega has a saltwater thru hull seacock under the aft end of the starboard settee. I have a hand-pump for the saltwater at the sink and a foot-pump for the fresh. I too have a smallish freshwater tank and am very careful with fresh water. For washing dishes, I put everything in a mesh bag and drag it behind the boat till everything is clean, then rinse with freshwater dish soap mix. I never cook or clean with saltwater.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:50   #20
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

It depends! What is your fresh water supply and how long do you go between fill ups? Are you planning to sail offshore?

My first boat (Tanzer 22) did not have a salt water pump but I was only day sailing in San Pablo Bay and San Francisco Bay. No need.

My second boat (San Juan 28) did not have a salt water pump but I sailed throughout British Columbia, a Vancouver Island circumnavigation, and to Alaska without one over 10 years. That boat had two nine gallon fresh water tanks and I did use a sun powered water bag for warming water.

My current boat (Tayana Vancouver 42) came with nonworking manual salt water pumps in both the head and galley connected to the engine raw water intake filter hose. The boat is equipped with 2 x 100 gallon stainless steel fresh water tanks and no water maker. I removed both of the raw water pumps and installed a new manual fresh water galley pump to backup the electric pump as there is no other way to access all that fresh water should a total electric failure occur (I've experienced one before). On our roundtrip voyage to Hawaii (22.5 days due to becalming winds) our four-man crew used exactly only one tank going over. On our return (21.5 days) we got into the second tank a couple days before arrival. Both legs were with strict water controls and no showers.

So, assess your fresh water storage capacity against your sailing needs and make a decision. I have nothing against the use of salt water galley pumps as a strategy to conserve water. I will only say both the pumps I removed were in terrible condition with excessive salt water corrosion...plan accordingly.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:37   #21

Boat: Robert Tucker Beagle. LOA:28ft, Beam: 11ft

i think it is possible to tee off the cooling water intake so you don't have to have so many seacocks. this is what i'm going to try when i get around to it.
turtleofdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:46   #22

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

I'm putting a saltwater intake t off my engine intake and plumbing it to a second galley footpump this month on my Bristol 29.9. We've been doing all our dishes with buckets and it's been a pain in the a**. Very excited to have unlimited salt right into the sink.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:59   #23

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistef51 View Post
Essential!!!! I found a tap with electric switch on top. Turn the knob and water runs, forever....... l
Can you post a link please?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:48   #24

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Placing a T off your engine intake is a bad idea. If you do it make sure it has a valve and it is closed while you are running the engine. Groco had a white paper on it but I can't find it. But there is this.

Ever suck through a straw with a hole in it? Same principle.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Kitchens View Post
Placing a T off your engine intake is a bad idea.
If you take adequate precautions against back flow of air from the attachments (such as a check valve, ball valve for independent shutoff, a pump with a one way diaphragm, etc) what is the risk?

Phil
Old 05-11-2018, 12:17   #26

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
If you take adequate precautions against back flow of air from the attachments (such as a check valve, ball valve for independent shutoff, a pump with a one way diaphragm, etc) what is the risk?

Phil
I'd personally never depend on a check valve.

You actually have to close the ball valve.

A one way diaphragm could fail or get some debris in it.

The risk is starving your engine of raw water for cooling. That being said it is your risk to take.

I said it was a bad idea and Groco seems to think it's a bad idea but not bad enough that they chose NOT to make a product that allows you to do it.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29   #27

Quote:
I'd personally never depend on a check valve.

You actually have to close the ball valve.

A one way diaphragm could fail or get some debris in it.

The risk is starving your engine of raw water for cooling. That being said it is your risk to take.

I said it was a bad idea and Groco seems to think it's a bad idea but not bad enough that they chose NOT to make a product that allows you to do it.
Agreed on all points. I'll have all three, which should provide an adequate level of protection I think.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:46   #28

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmagistro View Post
Agreed on all points. I'll have all three, which should provide an adequate level of protection I think.
There you go again complicating something simple.

It should be noted, a check valve requires pressure to work.
Old 05-11-2018, 13:03   #29

Just did the replacements: New larger single sink rather than a tiny double= $187.
New faucet set= $47. Faucet set required fresh water from center of unit to a fresh water sprayer (or it leaks). New foot pump from West Marine $37. Coiled hose x 6 ft and a sprayer nozzle $16. Best capacity of both worlds, despite 187 gallon freshwater tank.
Terry and Melissa
Privateer III
Fairhope, AL
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:14   #30

Quote:
Placing a T off your engine intake is a bad idea. If you do it make sure it has a valve and it is closed while you are running the engine. Groco had a white paper on it but I can't find it. But there is this.

Ever suck through a straw with a hole in it? Same principle.
Really what Groco is saying there is that there needs to be enough flow to supply all of the consumers.

On large yachts/vessels it is totally normal to have a large seawater intake, and then a standpipe and/or manifold supplying multiple consumers. It is standard practice.

Tags
galley, pump, salt, salt water, water