Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2022, 14:34   #1

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'
Sailing to Bahamas

Just curious why many people prefer to sail to the Bahamas via the ICW to South Florida and jump over. Why not save time and sail direct to Bahamas on the outside. I'm considering sailing to Abaco, Bahamas direct from Jacksonville and would be interested in opinions on pros and cons. Thanks
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 15:22   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Sailing to Bahamas

You don't want to sail direct (in a straight line) from Jacksonville to Abaco because you'll be fighting the Gulf Stream most of the way. It may be theoretically a shorter distance to sail direct. But it will actually take you longer, and will likely be rougher and considerably more uncomfortable than taking the less direct route from south Florida.

It's not really even something that folks debate ("pro" vs "con") -- there is pretty much unanimous consensus on this issue.

If you are seriously considering crossing from Florida to the Bahamas you need to do your research about the effect the Gulf Stream has on folks making this trip.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 16:56   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380
Sailing to Bahamas

I sail out of NFL also. Within last year, did Abaco trip, a G bahama trip, and now an exuma trip.
Yes, fastest trip may well be direct.
Extremely unpopular for sailboats tho. R U willing to spend 3 days straight on a sail between docks?
And, what if wind is not favorable? Can u motor for 72 hours?
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 17:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

It's a good question....

I've sailed direct from J'ville to the Abaco's....the trick is to head due east for about 200 miles, and then turn south.
But....it's not as easy to as that. Many factors to consider. Plan on a week at sea.

Alternately, leave out of J'ville and just go down the coast, usually pretty straightforward. I've ridden a nor-easter down to WPB in 2 days...past Cape Canaveral you want to start hugging the shore to avoid the Stream...it's exhilarating sailing..and several places to duck into if the going gets rough.

I know quite a few people that opt to go " outside", whether leaving from J'ville, St. A, Daytona, Cape C, etc. Many People cross from Ft. Pierce and make for Walkers.

I don't know you or how well prepared your boat is, or how experienced you are,but you'll be on your own. The fact that you are asking this question, points to you being new at this.

I have been to the Abaco's many times, so I know the area well. It was a few years before I considered the offshore option.

Having done it several ways, I find that just going down the coast is the simplest and often the easiest. It also gives you several places to duck in if the doodoo hits the fan.

If this is your first time there, I would suggest just run down the coast. When you get to WPB, you are likely to find other boats wanting to go across. Buddy boating is a smart thing to do. 99.9% of yachties going to the Abaco's clear in at West End.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 18:03   #5

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

What they said.

You have a Hunter 36, not really a boat to take the wrong way up the Gulf stream this time of year.

Periodic cold fronts, and you will be going very slow against the current.

Hug the coast, or take the ditch to at Least Palm Beach, then jump straight across on a good day, no North winds for at least two days.

Going the long way (direct) will be miserable.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 21:10   #6

Boat: Dean 365

I have also done this trip a number of times from Jacksonville. I agree with the others to avoid trying to fight the Gulf Stream. I much prefer going east across the Stream, then turn south and go into the Abacos somewhere between Walkers and Whale Cay.

I wait for a good slow moving front and head out when then wind goes south. It usually takes a few days for it to clock all the way around to the SE. If I am slow, it is not the end of the world if the wind goes north and northeast after I get across the Stream.

I enjoy getting out in the ocean and letting my wind vane self steering take over. There is a lot of traffic along the coast to watch for and the ICW (although interesting the first time or two) is a long motoring slog that demands constant attention. Now days I only use the ICW or the coast to make some miles south if the weather refuses to cooperate.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 22:57   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have sailed direct from Norfolk Virginia to the Abacos twice. 5 days each time. And good fishing along the way. Once due to Covid test requirement I sailed in a series of outside hops down the coast to west Palm and over. Took weeks. But saw some interesting places. I’ve never come down the ICW.
I suspect that a lot more people come straight over than you see online. Discussions of weather windows and buddy boat requests online make it seem like most come down the ICW or in short hops along the coast. But lots of boats seem to come straight down as far as I can tell from actual meeting people in the Bahamas.
I agree that to do the offshore route I cross the gulf stream early and then past Hatteras my course is a bit SW on the other side of gulfstream to the Abacos.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:25   #8

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

This is good stuff ! As someone who has yet to make these kinds of passages I need this info.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:01   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

Especially for your first trip you might want to consider a weather router service. If you head direct they can give you a 5 day forecast based on your boat and preferred limits. Probably good through three days anyway in most situations. Depending on your communications setup you might elect to have an update or two along the way. I found the Garmin InReach to be good for receiving these messages and for keeping in touch with short messages along the way to folks at home.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:10   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Plus one on weather updates.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 16:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

I missed my timing once and got caught in the Gulf Stream with a norther blowing.
The seas got quite big, for sure, but the waves were spaced at a reasonable distance, and the sailing was not at all bad.....spirited would be an apt description... Off J'ville the stream is not going that fast, maybe half the velocity as compared to south Florida.

The trick is to make your entry into the B'mas during the day. Even with GPS, I wouldn't trust doing the Whale Cay Passage at night. There is rock pile offshore that would be difficult to see. I know that there are other cuts into the Abaco's, but I have not done them. Whale Cay can get quite knarly in a nor-easter, but I'm fortunate in never having had to deal with that.

Arriving at night from WPB is quite different. With GPS, arriving at Memory Rock at midnight, is pretty straightforward. Kept on going till I got Mangrove. No problems. It's my preferred way these days...
Old 11-02-2022, 17:10   #12

Boat: 2004 Hunter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I missed my timing once and got caught in the Gulf Stream with a norther blowing.
The seas got quite big, for sure, but the waves were spaced at a reasonable distance, and the sailing was not at all bad.....spirited would be an apt description... Off J'ville the stream is not going that fast, maybe half the velocity as compared to south Florida.

The trick is to make your entry into the B'mas during the day. Even with GPS, I wouldn't trust doing the Whale Cay Passage at night. There is rock pile offshore that would be difficult to see. I know that there are other cuts into the Abaco's, but I have not done them. Whale Cay can get quite knarly in a nor-easter, but I'm fortunate in never having had to deal with that.

Arriving at night from WPB is quite different. With GPS, arriving at Memory Rock at midnight, is pretty straightforward. Kept on going till I got Mangrove. No problems. It's my preferred way these days...
Thanks for sharing.
Rasselas36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 18:03   #13
Marine Service Provider

As a side note.....at night, I thought I would sea the lighthouse at Hope Town...but I never saw it.

On another trip I was returning from Bermuda and was making for the Abaco's from the east.... making right for Elbow Cay, again, I was hoping to see the lighthouse at Hope Town...but never saw it....even though I was in range to see it....at least I thought I was....

It is supposedly visible from 20 nm offshore....
Old 13-02-2022, 14:31   #14

Boat: Catalina Morgan 44CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
What they said.

You have a Hunter 36, not really a boat to take the wrong way up the Gulf stream this time of year.

Periodic cold fronts, and you will be going very slow against the current.

Hug the coast, or take the ditch to at Least Palm Beach, then jump straight across on a good day, no North winds for at least two days.

Going the long way (direct) will be miserable.

When you say “hug the coast” how far away from shore would that be?
shmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 15:44   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmorrell View Post
When you say “hug the coast” how far away from shore would that be?
Inside the Gulf Stream. Central and Northern FLA,you can be fairly far off, from Lake Worth Inket south- you want to be in 60’ or shallower.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, sail, sailing