Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2024, 07:57   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Recommend me some ripping yarns about sailors crossing the Atlantic Ocean or simi

I don't remember the title, but probably all the books about Shackleton and the Endurance would be good. Maybe 'Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage'. The world doesn't make men like him anymore.
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 08:08   #32

Re: Recommend me some ripping yarns about sailors crossing the Atlantic Ocean or simi

For crossing the Atlantic try Tinkerbell by Robert Manley , crossing in a 14 foot boat.
For the very early crosings look at Howard Blackburn sailed single handed across the Atlantic in 1899 in a 30 foot boat, remarkable for a man who had lost all his fingers to frostbite, but that’s another story.
On sailing further afield I like ice bird by David Lweis books by Ellen MacArthur.
Farr horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 08:11   #33

For crossing the Atlantic try Tinkerbell by Robert Manley , crossing in a 14 foot boat.
For the very early crosings look at Howard Blackburn sailed across the Atlantic in 1899 in a 30 foot boat remarkable for a man who had lost all his fingers to frostbite, but that’s another story.
On sailing further afield I like ice bird by David Lweis and books by Ellen MacArthur.
Tristan Jones spins a good tail believe it or not.
Farr horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 08:42   #34

One that just came out, Sailing Alone: A History, by the marine scholar Richard J. King, is an elegantly written book about sailing narratives, from Slocum to the present, interspersed with the author's own experiences on his solo transatlantic voyage. A great read! https://www.amazon.com/Sailing-Alone...ps%2C89&sr=8-1
jonathansoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 08:52   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

"Days of Deja vu" Jonathan Reid, Amazon kindle.
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 09:13   #36

Boat: Brewer 12.8

Much better book than movie. See what all goes in to a workings of a ship in peril, by a great researcher and better story teller. A Perfect Storm Sebastian Junger
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 10:16   #37

Boat: Chuck Paine Custom

Great suggestions all around.
Joseph Conrad's "Typhoon" is an engaging storm story as is his novel about the near-wreck of the Narcissus.
A more recent masterpiece is Peter Nichols' Sea Change: Alone Across the Atlantic.
Jeffrey M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 10:26   #38

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

I second (or third) Airborne by Buckley

I'm contemplating/planning a first-time crossing west to east about mid-May. Can anyone suggest resources for practical info and advice? I would prefer NOT to become a 'ripping yarn'
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 11:02   #39

Boat: Swanson 38

The most disastrous cruise ever, "Desperate Voyage" John Caldwell
jazzgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 11:04   #40

There are a lot of good fictional books mentioned above. Here are some non-fiction:

Ernest Gann - Song of the Sirens
Hal Roth - Two On a Big Ocean and several others.
Irving and Electa Johnson -- any of their books.
Old 22-01-2024, 11:33   #41

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

the Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst

sir Francis Chichester, Gypsey Moth circles the Globe
Old 22-01-2024, 12:18   #42

Recommend me some ripping yarns about sailors crossing the Atlantic Ocean or similar…
Ok, or similar then…
Well we were in the Azores, it was 9 at night, we had done no preparation for the next part to Portugal, we had been beaten up on our way from the Caribbean, so some lessons have been learnt. Preparation is key, look at the amount of preparation the ARC makes, it’s weeks on end.
we had a crew of 8, this does make a huge difference to the amount of preparation needed.
A crew of 2, lots of preparation, a crew of 8, none at all.
So off we went in the dark evening, the motor broke later, catastrophically, we had no spares, we found a solution, we hardly even blinked.
So a short ripping yarn about how to cross the Atlantic with no preparation, have a crew of 8, else prepare like crazy if it’s a crew of 2.
I’m always amazed how we prepared for nothing, never hit an object, never have the right parts onboard, but do yearly reasonable maintenance and have a crew of 8.
Sorry it’s not a long one but it does fulfill the thread title..
Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 12:42   #43

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Yes, I can browse Amazon, but I would like to hear what YOU recommend.

For example ... Overboard!: A True Blue-water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival

A storm too Soon.
https://www.amazon.ca/Storm-Too-Soon.../dp/1451683340

A friend of mine was one of three survivors rescued by the Coast Guard 2005, or thereabouts, off Cape Hatteras
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 12:47   #44

Boat: Morgan 321

Tinkerbelle by Robert Manry
Redboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 14:03   #45

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The Wreck of the Mary Deare, by Hammond Innes and Riddle of the Sands, Irskine Childers, and almost any book by Farley Mowat as was mentioned earlier.

Tags
Atlantic Ocean, men, sail