Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2020, 11:31   #76

Re: RANT Canadian vessel name RANT

Coolest boat name I've ever heard is on a 1971 Chris Craft that is owned by a concrete contractor. The name is: "Sea Meant".
Brilliant!
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 13:36   #77

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

There used to be a boat in my harbor called "Never Again VII". I LOL'd every time I saw it.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 16:47   #78

A friend's brother, who did well in the internet boom, has named his 34 ft sailboat "Dot Calm".
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 19:07   #79

Yes, Transport Canada is the worst. Can't wait to change my flag from the maple leaf to something else.

Good luck
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:00   #80

That's what you get with a Brit-inspired civil service. I love «A boat named rant»!
pterrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:10   #81

Boat: Hunter 380

Welcome to Ottawa bureaucracy. It rivals anything that Moscow used to be accused of at the height of the USSR. I am not kidding. I used to be a public service guy albeit out in the hinterland but had to contend with Ottawa intransigence and silliness daily. Minute to minute actually.
grube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:22   #82

pirate Re: RANT Canadian vessel name RANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
I'm trying to change the name of a boat in Canada. Sounds simple enough right... Wrong.

Ask them if "Transport Canada Sucks" is available as a name?
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 08:59   #83

Boat: Hunter 43

May be oversimplifying the issue here but.... the small vessel registry in Canada doesn't include names just registration numbers.... so on the last 3 boats I've registered I just put the name of my choice on the boat. As long as you don't call it "Coce Cola" or something like that you'll probably never hear from anyone.
Old 18-09-2020, 09:33   #84

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

It's all Trudeau's fault. (Everything is Trudeau's fault.)
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 11:20   #85

Boat: brewer sloop 38

Hi, I sort of went through this as well, finally named my sailboat after my wife who hated sailing, after she passed away I swore I would get her on the boat one way or another. A couple of years later also bought a power boat, naming trouble again, settled on “ my mistress” and when asked howcome, my answer is “ because shes the expensive bitch “😂
fibreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 13:20   #86

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

My problem wasn't the name but measurement for Transport Canada. Twelve years ago catamarans were not covered by a measurement formula or builders records. A catamaran had to be measured the same as if it were a freighter or tanker. The only Transport Canada approved measurer in the southern Caribbean was in Trinidad and he wanted $5000 just to look at it and give me a firm price.
The broker was able to get me USVI licence until I finally got some one in St Maarten who was able to measure it. It took more than a day for the two of us to measure it and I gather six hours for him to fill out he forms.
It still took a year and a half before I got my certificate from Transport Canada in Toronto. Had no problem cruising the Windward and Leeward Island with the USVI registration, but what a hassle. I gather that there is now a formula for multihulls so they do not have to go through that anymore.
Old 18-09-2020, 14:12   #87

Boat: Beneteau 393 Oceanis

I'm from Maillardville. I, too have felt your pain.
So I resigned & escaped to the great USA. I have everything I want here.
SV Xpensive Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 14:13   #88

[QUOTE=madprops;3230403]I'm trying to change the name of a boat in Canada. Sounds simple enough right... Wrong.

*RANT ON*

This is what the Transport Canada website says regrading naming a boat.

must be unique, even when said aloud
can’t use a registered trademark
can’t be a prohibited mark
can’t be confused with a distress signal
can’t include vessel acronyms, for example, “SV” for sailing vessel, or “FV” for fishing vessel
can include an article such as “the”, “le”, “la”, “l’”, though we don’t consider this when approving a vessel name (for example, “THE HAPPY DOLPHIN” is the same as “HAPPY DOLPHIN”)
You must provide an authorization letter, if you are using the name of:
a famous Canadian person
a city or town in Canada"

Easy enough. I use the search and punch in the name I want and its available, I do about one hour of checking to make sure no name sounds like mine... A bit odd but I'm feeling good. I fill out the paperwork send it in and wait a month. I get an email back saying I cant use the name because its registered in the Canadian Trademarks Database... But its just a generic word! I didn't even think to check.

*RANT INTENSIFIES*

Thats right, if you want to name your boat "Dolphin" you can't because a company from Israel that makes pool cleaning robots holds the trademark to the word "Dolphin" in Canada. Ok no biggie you will add you favorite color and call it "SILVER DOLPHIN".... Nope a company in Illinois has that trademarked for a "series of fiction and non-fiction books on a variety of topics". "DOLPHIN'S MOON" maybe if it wasn't trademarked by a German company that makes gaming machines. /snippety-snip /

And that, dear friends, is why it's always a good idea to provide a boat with a female name. Things just seem to go more smoothly <grin>

Brian W
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 14:37   #89

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

To get proper perspective on the issue, look at https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:25.0/zoom:4 and see how many boats are out on the water. It is no wonder they want unique names for everyone. They have to assume everyone will add a tracker at some point and venture out past Canadian borders.

My 26 foot has a 9.9hp motor and is not even registered. I can name it anything I want, but its not great for international travel like this.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 14:46   #90

Try this name. COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. Meets all of the criteria. That would fix them. Somebody really messed up that law. They probably don't even have a boat.
captiankaos is offline   Reply With Quote