Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What is single main reason for installing more eco systems on your boat?
I want to lessen my impact on the environment 2 5.41%
I like the technical challenge of being more self sufficient 4 10.81%
I want to last longer at anchor / away from port 29 78.38%
I not moving in that direction I'm perfectly happy to use a genset or engine to charge batteries 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 12:01   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: POLL: What makes you installed more eco systems on your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
none of the above.

the poll makes no sense to me .. and if the OP wants to understand the motivations he should ask, and spend time talking to sailors and cruisers rather than dictating what the choices are.
So if I read your reply backwards you have done none of the first three but are unhappy about your situation with the forth ?? Why not just not participate and scroll by ?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:23   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

I hope the OP actually comes back here. I remain skeptical as to the premise of the question. I don't see any evidence that people are abandoning dino-generators in favour of passive power sources.

I do think there is more solar installs as well, but I don't think it is as a replacement for generators. Our modern boats are so amp-hungry now that we use everything we can to generate more. And both technologies have expanded as they've become cheaper and more efficient.
Old 25-03-2020, 13:31   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I hope the OP actually comes back here. I remain skeptical as to the premise of the question. I don't see any evidence that people are abandoning dino-generators in favour of passive power sources.

I do think there is more solar installs as well, but I don't think it is as a replacement for generators. Our modern boats are so amp-hungry now that we use everything we can to generate more. And both technologies have expanded as they've become cheaper and more efficient.
Agree, boat systems are now more plentiful and power hungry. Today's cruiser wants creature comforts and those take energy. Its go nothing to do with "green/eco" but just the practicalities of being comfortable and self sufficient in remote locations. Solar, gen set, wind power all help contribute and are installed to support a comfortable life style.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 00:41   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
So if I read your reply backwards you have done none of the first three but are unhappy about your situation with the forth ?? Why not just not participate and scroll by ?
If you want a highly biased poll that gets the predetermined answer you want, sure leave out those who don't agree with your ideas.

You don't per chance work in a media polling organization do you?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 02:13   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Agree, boat systems are now more plentiful and power hungry. Today's cruiser wants creature comforts and those take energy. Its go nothing to do with "green/eco" but just the practicalities of being comfortable and self sufficient in remote locations. Solar, gen set, wind power all help contribute and are installed to support a comfortable life style.
Yes agree with this. To be more self sufficient we have recently added a small portable freezer. Initial trials over Christmas are positive so to provide the extra power necessary we have just doubled the solar capacity from 150w to 300w.

We sold the genny when first adopting solar as it just wasn't being used as much as I thought. We still carry petrol for the little Honda 2.3hp outboard, so not completely green. An electric outboard could be interesting, but a bit pricey for us at the moment, given the little Honda costs buttons a year to run and maintain.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll, boat